Monday, October 5, 2020

Guest Designing for AAA Birthday Game 18: Photo Inspiration

 Good Monday morning to you! Hope this finds you well. A few weeks back, my Catch of the Day birthday card won at AAA Birthday Challenge and I was asked to guest design for a future challenge which is now! 



CARD DEETS:
Papers: Springhill Digital card stock, Bazzill Textured card stock base and bottom mat, SEI Couture Collection patterned papers
Images: Beccy's Place digital stamps Pumpkins and Sunflowers and Champagne set; Gecko Galz image from Happy New Years collage sheet
Other: Versamark and printer ink, white embossing powder, sheer polka dot ribbon, enamel dots and yellow fleur de lis brad from my Black Hole of Stash

AAA Birthday Challenge is a monthly theme-oriented "game" where you enter birthday cards only. Here are the RULES to play:

I've been playing there a while and it's quite a pleasant place. For their current October Game #18, the theme is Photo Inspiration and here is the photo:

What inspired me from this sketch were: the grapes (my Champagne and Cheers references in the images and sentiments), the sunflowers, pumpkins, pink flowers (there are some in my focal image), and the colors yellow, green, pink, purple and especially the blue in the corn which caught my eye immediately. 

Taken all together, the inspirational elements I chose gave my imagination wings to fly to my final creation, which looks nothing like the photo. You don't have to even be inspired by that much: the wicker horn of plenty is fine, or one of the colors. Whatever floats your boat, it just needs to be "anchored" in the photo somewhere.

I used one of the current sketches at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2, #191. I was 100% faithful to it except for the dots on both sides at top. With my addition of the pumpkins and champagne images, the design looked more balanced to me if I chose to sprinkle my enamel dots as I did. Otherwise, complete fidelity! My card size is 6x6.

On a curious note, I used a collage sheet image of a New Year's Eve toast, yet I looked very thoroughly at it and saw no reason it could not be an Autumn birthday toast instead, and I really love the image so I used it. I added the pumpkins and sunflowers as Autumn references.  As much as I love the traditional brown/orange/yellow color pattern of Autumn we see most often, I confess that I love the non-traditional colors as well. I've noticed this year that I've been adding more blues and purples to my cards of this theme, for example.

So come play at AAA Birthday! It's fun! I hope you enjoyed seeing my art and thanks so much for visiting to see what I've made and I hope you have a most excellent first full week of October! Be Well and Safe! XXO

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.  Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 #191  --  sketch is shown above
2.  Beccy's Place October Challenge: AAG with a Beccy's image -- I did play the optional twist, albeit loosely. I took the yellow and green colors and the stripes on my bottom paper mat are like train tracks. I've listed above in my post the Beccy's images I have used.
3.  Outlawz Tuesday Color Challenge 9/22-10/5: Photo Inspiration -- the birthday balloons suggest a birthday and I also inspired by the colors, most of which I used, except for the hot pink.  
4.  Time Out Challenge #171 -- I have champagne and people toasting with it.
8.  613 Avenue Create October: AAG -- I did not play the option this time.


15 comments:

Jane said...

Awesome card Aimeslee! Love how the photo inspired you and your brilliant explanation in your post. Thanks for being such a fabulous guest designer with us at AAA Birthday.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Lovely card, Aimes! The sentiment made me chuckle. Your embellishments really add life to the stamped scene. Congratulations on being a guest designer. - Bethie

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's lovely - that's a great image! Chrisx

sandie said...

I love how so much in the photo inspired you. I think it is great you add non traditional Autumn colours, very refreshing and they work so well with the Autumn colours which I wouldn't have thought-so creative. Great detail-all the little images placed perfectly and I love the 2 ribbons. Thanks for joining Time Out x

ahlers5 said...

Great card!

Beccy said...

Absolutely fabulous Aimeslee! I love the mixture of elements you have added to this card, and I completely agree with you about the image... it works perfectly for an autumn birthday toast. You did a terrific job interpreting the sketch so closely too, and again, I'm with you on the placement of your enamel dots. Love it all!
Cheers,
Beccy

anne said...

Great card Aimeslee, so much to see and a great take on the sketch. Thank you for playing along with us at SSW2
Anne SSW2 DT

Kelly Schelske said...

Great card Aimeslee!

Great work with one of our sketches as well!


Thank you for joining us this month over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2!

Hugs,
Kelly

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

A very colorful and detailed card. Love the Autumn touches and the colors are wonderful. Great sentiment too. Thanks for playing with us at Time Out.

crafty-stamper said...

Congrats on your GDT spot Aimeslee and love your fabulous card
Carol x

Alyson Mayo said...

Great birthday card - that focal image is SO detailed. Love all the extras surrounding the image.

Jean said...

So many pretty elements in this card ! Thanks for sharing at 613 Avenue Create xx Please join us again.
https://wwwkraftyjean.blogspot.com/

cass said...

Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight.

Dorothy S said...

So many great details on this card! Thanks for entering the current anything goes challenge at the Crafter's Cafe. Dorothy S, DT member

Chana Malkah said...

Congratulations on your GDT assignment! Your card is lovely! You always have so much wonderful detail in your work!
Hugz,
Chana