Hello, blog friends! Today I have a ScriptureDex Rolo and a Mother's Day card to share.
First, the Rolo. This is the front and the back of the Rolo illustrating 1Corinthians 13:13 in the New Testament. I get a lot of my Bible verse texts from a little calendar a realtor sends us. The challenge last week at Think Monday, Think ATC was AQUA, and this text had that pretty blue-green color.
I used a technique I'd seen on YouTube to color the card by heavy-coverage scribbling NeoColor II crayons and then blending them out with matte medium. That way, the color is permanent when dry. Well, you are supposed to use your fingers, but I tried using a brush which left stroke marks. After I adhered the verse, I realized that some of the marks looked like they were extending the tree trunks down and that gave me the idea to get my "Epic" fountain pen and draw out those tree silhouettes.
Funny how ideas are born, huh?
For the back, I just decided to put the 3 words from the verse, and used some old scrapbooking stickers that I have way too many of and are all the time trying to use up. I am now at the point where I am always missing certain letters now, so I had to use a different color sticker for the H in Faith. After that, I decided it needed a little something at the top.
I looked through my border stamps and thought this butterfly border from Hero Arts would work. I colored it with Inktense pencils, which layer nicely over other media. I am once again late in participating in the TMTA challenge, but late is better than never.
My second project to share is our Mother's Day card for my mother-in-law. She L-O-V-E loves any card I make her, so I decided to play with some die cuts that have been in my binder for ages. They are ancient, from maybe 2004. As you can tell from the design of that flower, they are so old that look is "in" again, relabeled as "mod" or "retro". I have several, bought at Hobby Lobby during my scrapbooking days. Here are some of my others:
You will probably one day see them again once I figure out how to use them.
Okay, the die cut I used for my card was originally pink card stock. I thought, let's gesso and then use the NeoColor II technique using my finger to blend in the matte medium. Here are all the parts laid out ready for a couple of coats.
Okay, flower coated. On to the technique!
I had some little punched circles in my bits and bobs, so I glued some down on my flower and then began scribbling and blending the parts.
And ended up with them looking like this. I decided to leave the tiny flowers gessoed and did not use the tiny tag. The thing I love about this technique is if you scribble a LOT of color on, the wax in the water-soluble crayon sets up with matte medium and hardens just enough to create cool texture that you can feel. And a lovely painterly look to boot!
Okay, I adhered a small piece of white card stock to the back of the bloom and then collaged the parts onto a piece of patterned DCWV card stock lightly brushed with gesso and matted onto my card base. I've had several vials of Martha Stewart micro beads for a while and never used them, so hey, why not now, right? I needed something to fill the center of the bloom. I also have Flower Soft, but I wasn't feeling like dealing with it.
I adhered the beads with my trusty old KI Memories Gloo (which is basically the same as Glossy Accents and Diamond Glaze), by squeezing the glue into the space, spooning them onto the space and then burnishing them in a bit after letting them set up a few minutes. After letting them dry for a few hours, I went around and added a few different shades of gold Stickles. Then I smudged more Stickles on the bloom's circles.
I pricked holes thru my C-Thru ruler around the edge and took a purple Sakura gel pen and drew the faux stitching.
Because there was gold in the flower and yellow in the paper, I chose these gold stickers and it really set it off better. I love how repeating touches of color on a piece can make it look better. (On that bow, I quickly and sloppily - on purpose, not like me - outlined with a blue Posca because when I finger-blended the bow, more color came off on my finger than on the bow...a light touch is required when blending.)
I used the little flowers on the back of the card.
Lastly, I wrote a poem and printed it out in PSE. I write poems sometimes for my cards. Writing was my first love in school. At some point it hit me, I might could do just as well as those Hallmark guys, lol, at least on the card inside.
My mother-in-law did indeed love it. That's the best part, plus I got to use up stuff, try new techniques, take some arty risks and just PLAY.
I am joining the following challenges with my Mother's Day card:
That's all for now! Thank you so much for coming by to see me. Let me hear from you. TTYL, xoxo