Thursday, August 27, 2020

Catch of the Day Birthday

Hello again and a Thankful Thursday to you! My area has dodged the Hurricane Laura bullet! Thank you for your prayers and thoughts! Please join me in praying for the Beaumont, TX and Lake Charles, Lousiana peeps who ended up getting the direct hit, as well as everyone who will encounter Laura as she moves inland.

So, onto my card...
Made this for a family friend, he and his wife live on a large lake in East Texas. Lake Livingston. You literally cannot see the other side of the shore it's so big, which is why I created the scene that way. I used images and Catch of the Day sentiment from 2 Hero Arts sets, Lake Time Fun and Pier at the Lake. And a Sweet Stamp Shop sentiment Happy Birthday to You! No sketch this time, just an inked background using Distress inks and a couple of MFT stencils for the clouds and for the grass in foregound.

I usually don't make A2 birthday cards anymore, but what goes around comes around. When the stamped images are small enough, it's a nice shape. I sent his wife an A2 sized card back in March, so I decided to do the same for him. I could literally sit and do these kinds of cards all day long. Maybe I should, LOL.

I masked off a horizon line and inked the water first using blending brushes. Then I heavily inked the horizon and after letting dry masked it off below the line and used a clouds stencil for the sky. Then I stamped the bullrushes and the grass using 2 different green ink shades. Then the silhouette of the boat stamped in black, as well the sentiments. I finished it off with my Carbon Fountain Pen making some doodle squiggles below the boat and the fish.


Before adding the doodling, I poured clear embossing powder over the entire card mat and to my surprise the Clair ink had remained wet enough to grab the powder, so the sentiments, boat and grasses are all heat embossed. Even some of the horizon line! Just got a wild hair to do it. It's hard to capture it in the photos, but it looks a lot cooler in real life. I kept things simple by just adhering the inked up card front to my card base after inking the edges a bit.

For the inside, super simple. An HOTP sentiment stamped in Paradise Blue.

And the back of the card, even simpler lol. A Clear Dollar siggie stamp. It's a guy card so easy to get away with simple. Plus, I did work pretty hard on the front!

Couldn't tell you the Distress blue ink colors I used now (maybe Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Mermaid Lagoon, Peacock Feathers, Blueprint Sketch, Stormy Sky and Iced Spruce). I just grabbed several and got lost in ink-blending them soon enough, but I love how the mix of the colors change depth and hue in different light and angles. Not bad for first-time play. The stencils are new as is both Hero Arts stamp sets.

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you enjoyed checking out my card. Have a great rest of the week and stay well and safe! XXO

Papers: Recollections and Springhill card stocks
Images/Stamps: Hero Arts, Sweet Stamp Shop, Hot Off the Press, Clear Dollar
Inks: Printer, VersafineClair, TH Distress
Other: Clear embossing powder, Carbon Fountain Pen, MFT Clouds and Grassy Edges Stencils


MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.  Stay Crafty with Hero Challenge #13: Creativebug Inspiration -- I sampled the videos and was inspired to do some water-reactive ink blending play with stencils to create my own background scene, plus I used Hero Arts stamp sets Laketime Fun and Pier at the Lake.
2.  AAA Birthday Challenge Game #16: Tic-Tac-Toe -- I chose top row across (bright colors, heat embossing, masculine card).
3.  Use Your Stuff #404: Mood Board -- I was inspired by the body of water in background, all the blue hues and the green.
4.  Artistic Stamper August Challenge: AG
6.  More Mixed Media August: AG + Opt. Brights -- I've played option
8.  Paper Girls #206: Emboss Like a Boss -- I've used heat embossing
10.  NBUS Challenge #17: AG w/Never-Before-Used-SCHTUFF  --  I'm using my Hero Arts stamps sets and my MFT Cloud and Grassy Edges stencils for the first time here. :-)  

18 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Beautiful masculine card, Aimeslee!! Just love your cloud background too!!

Darnell said...

You can get lost in that unbelievably gorgeous blending all day long, Aimeslee, because you have a real talent for it! If I said I got lost in my blending, I would mean literally I got lost, as in I made a mess of things and lost my way, lol! Oh, to be able to seamlessly create such a photographic relaxing scene! Your friend will treasure it - or at least he should! I'm so glad you are safe from Laura and join you in prayers for those who will be impacted in the days to come. Thank you for sharing your gift with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Pip Lewer said...

It’s a work of art Aimeslee. I love it. Great take on the tic tac toe line you’ve chosen. Thanks for playing along with this months challenge at AAA Birthday.

Leslie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I need a cloud stencil in my stash - I have a hand-cut one from base weight cardstock but yours look so realistic! You are the queen of inked backgrounds, my friend! So very happy and thankful you and Honey are safe. Praying for those in the direct line of Laura. Hugs!

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Aimes! So glad to hear you dodged Laura's fury. My heart is broken for the affected areas - and I haven't even seen the photos and videos of the areas yet. Having never gone thru a hurricane that intense, and never having lost my home to fire or wind, I cannot imagine the tender vulnerability these individuals are currently feeling. thanks for letting me know you are safe.
Regarding your card.... I believe this is my ALL TIME FAVE AIMES CARD EVER! The deep colors are sooooo realistic for nature, and the sky line is just amazing. You have captured all the essences that thrill my heart with a Florida sky, especially during the summer, when the sky can change from deep clear blue, to wispy white clouds, to darker big cards in the distance, to watching those rain-laden clouds moving closer -- I love every change of the time of day, and the season. We are so blessed to enjoy the beauty. I also LOVE the sentiment!
Thanks for all the photos. I've pinned each one in a different board to inspire others. I was shocked to see that my Pinterest account has over 4,000 followers, so it must be that other people enjoy those same pins that I enjoy!
Your friend will treasure this customized card, Aimes. Take care! hugs, de

Cindy Beach said...

I do think it's my first time visiting your fabulous blog!
I LOVE this card. Didn't think I needed the Pier Time set, I just bought Lake Time fun, but your card is so pretty. Your blended inks make this a beauty!

missgailly said...

What a fantastic fishing scene card. Your sky is SPECTACULAR! Thank you for playing along at USE YOUR STUFF - Gail #staysafe #stayhealthy

ahlers5 said...

My grandson saw this card in my email today. He said "Grandma, that card is so beautiful!" I have to agree, it's gorgeous!

Jane said...

Wow! That is a masterpiece! Stunning use of colour and a very beautiful scene. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges. Stay safe and keep crafting!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I'm relieve that you are safe from Laura. Stay safe my friend.

I love this card. Your clouds are so beautiful, and so is the skyline. The silhouette really makes your card shine, and the addition of the grass gives dimension.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a gorgeous card! Love how you created the clouds and blended the colours - perfect 😀. Take care and happy weekend! Hugs,Jo x

Billie A said...

Very pretty card. Love the blues and the masculine scene. Love it. Thanks for sharing over at Aud Sentiments.

Zoechaos said...

Thank you for your visit to my little place and your lovely comment. Yes I do live in Lincolnshire having moved here almost 10 years ago. It was like taking a step back in time to the 1980's! During my short 60+ years I've lived in various parts of the island they all have thier own beauty and interest. I cannot imagine living somewhere as vast as America and the possibility of not seeing the sea often. Are you also interested in genealogy you seem well versed in where your ancestors originated?

It seems that year on year these devastating storms come earlier and get worse, to live through something like that and wondering if you are in the path must be very stressful. My thoughts are always with those effected by a natural event.

Your card is gorgeous, you have created a scene of tranquility, that sky! is fabulous and the horizon with the waters deepening blues magical. Once again thank you for your visit and lovely words. x

Deezy's Handmade Cards said...

An amazingly beautiful card: beautifully done with the doodling and embossing! Just beautiful.
Thanks for sharing on the Aud Sentiments Challenge Blog! Deezy (DT)

Alyson Mayo said...

This card is FAB-U-LOUS! Love the clouds, the water and the weeds in the front. I'm in awe at the terrific scene that you created! Superb :)

Lady Joyful said...

Really wonderful birthday scene! Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

Jane said...

Congratulations on your win at AAA Birthday. Pleas contact me to arrange a Guest Design spot - aaabirthdaychallenge@gmail.com

Nana Griffin said...

This turned out wonderful! Such a beautiful sky and lake.