Sunday, February 23, 2020

First Time Fun with Foiling

Sunday Salutations! I've been working on a Spring home decor tag and a birthday card since my last post. I'm still adding bits to my tag, but I did finish the card to share with you today.

The idea for this card began with a scrap: a negative die cut of a Spellbinders heart shape I had die cut back in January for the back of our daughter's wedding card. The heavy paper's completely corrugated and I liked its texture so I wanted to use the scrap.

I also wanted to use a background of hearts under the cut out that I'd stenciled with some modeling paste colored a pinkish red, but the textures just didn't look right to me. I thought this card would qualify as a decent CAS style, so I went over to CAS Stencil's Foil challenge and watched one of the videos HERE . I had the supplies and watching the video gave me the motivation to experiment.

So I decided to stencil another background of hearts, this time using some of the new iCraft Transfer Gel and Ranger Transfer Foil. I also tried Indigo Blu Flitterglu and some iCraft  rainbow foil on another background. That one had some bare spots but was good enough to use on the back. I got more adventurous and used some Zig 2 Way Glu pen + rainbow foil around the edge of the cut-out and my Xyron and rainbow foil to die cut Happy Birthday. So I was able to try foiling using a few different adhesives.

This is one of the rare times I am not showing the inside of my card. And that's because I'm thinking this is going to be Honey's birthday card in April, and I don't want to decide what to do in there just yet. So here's a few shots of the card back.

This is the piece I foiled with the FlitterGlu and screwed up by forgetting to take off the stencil first. So I took some of the rainbow foil scrap and just began sticking it down again and again until the card was filled in. And I don't think I could recreate it but I do love it! Every heart looks differently foiled and the shine in real life is pretty bad ass! I also tried out my new (to me) Spellbinders siggie die. I cut it from a piece of pink scrap paper and colored it with wax pencils to stand out more.

I cut a tiny Spellbinder heart and stamped in VersaMark and heat-embossed with red tinsel powder.
On Foiling: I have SO MUCH MORE to learn and practice, but I did learn you should save every scrap of foil and that your learning curve (or at least mine) uses up foil. For example, the red foil I pulled off the hearts can be used again for the red non-heart area, on an art journal page or as part of an abstract card front collage background, etc.

I also had by far the best luck with the iCraft transfer gel as an adhesive. The new kind that I used called DUO,  is for foiling with and/or without heat, but you do have to let it dry at least an hour before placing the foil down. I'm fine with that; in fact, I left this for 90 minutes and as you can see it foiled my red hearts perfectly! 

I have not even gotten to heat foiling yet. Santa brought me a laminator for Christmas so I might need to figure out where to buy the cheapest foil.

Thanks for dropping by to visit. Cheers to a great week ahead! XOX

CHALLENGES:
1.   CAS Stencil Feb. Challenge: Foil -- I used Ranger red Transfer Foil on iCraft Transfer Gel  applied through a Ranger Brett Welde heart stencil. 
2.   Try It On Tuesday: Go Green or Recycle Something -- I recycled my corrugated negative die cut.
3.   Seize the Birthday #183: ABDG + Opt. White Space -- I've played the option with white space. 
4.   Happy Little Stampers Feb Challenge: AG with Dies - I used a Spellbinders large negative die cut heart and very small heart die, and an Our Daily Bread Happy Birthday sentiment die.
5.   Mix It Up CB #34: AG + Opt. Stencilling -- I have played the option and stencilied with foil.
6.   Time Out Challenge #155: Birthday Quote
7.   The Crafters Cafe #236: Use Red and or Pink -- I used RED
8.   Through the Craft Room Door Feb 18-24: AG
9.   The Male Room #130: Use Embossing -- I heat-embossed the From The Heart sentiment and the corrugated paper is dry embossed. The card is for my husband's birthday. 

10.  A Place to Start Feb. Challenge: Masculine -- Card is for my husband's birthday. I chose the stencil I did because the hearts looked more masculine, and I tried to keep the design non-feminine.
11.  Outlawz Festive Fridays Feb. 21-Mar. 5 - Birthday Theme

21 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, Aimeslee, and I thought I was the one who had hearts on the brain this month. This is spectacular. You come up with the most original and inventive cards, and this one is even more special because of the recycling you accomplished. It's perfect for Try it on Tuesday's latest challenge, and it is simply gorgeous, too.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

What a darling card. You're making me excited to start foiling (TJ just started to carry you paste and foils--I bought four colours).

The shimmer that is on this card is gorgeous. This would make one nice birthday card to DH.

Your back is lovely with the multi-coloured foil.

My name is Erika. said...

Fabulous recycling. This is a super card. Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs Erika

Anita in France said...

The shimmer and shine on your foiled hearts is delicious, Aimeslee ... the corrugated texture on that first one is positively touchable! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful, Aimes. I so enjoy experiments! You've certainly played around with this one and your results are fab. I bet it was a great release after all your efforts for the wedding. (...which I hope was every bit as good as you'd hoped and even more!) You NEEDED some down time! So glad you shared your playtimes with us at Try it on Tuesday ;-)
Cath x

Barb Ghig said...

You did an amazing job foiling and recycling! I love how all of your cards have such a lovely shimmer and shine, too...They are all beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS Stencil!

crafty-stamper said...

Great CAS card and love all the beautiful foiled hearts
Carol x

Meggymay said...

Great recycling and your card looks fantastic. Thank you for linking with us over at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

cass said...

Wonderful card. Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

You did a great job with the foiling. I love all of that sparkle and shine, and the rainbow effect on the sentiment. Thanks for sharing and playing with us at Time Out.

Rosie said...

Great recycling

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Cathy said...

Great results from your first go at foiling, so much fun isn't it! Thanks for playing along at CAS Stencil, Cathy x

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

WOW! Jaw droppingly beautiful!

Alyson Mayo said...

Wow - what a terrific card with new techniques! The foiling is fabulous - something I definitely want to try. Beautiful!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Such a great card, I'm sure Hubby loved it

Thank you for sharing with us at 'A Place To Start' this month
Hugs Shell xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Aimeslee, I've never tried foiling, but it looks perfect with all those hearts and the shimmer on the rainbow foil looks amazing. A great piece of recycling too with the heart negative, it would have been a shame not to use it.
So pleased you shared this with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril xx

Wickcliss said...

Wow Aimeslee, a beautiful selection of cards. Love the various textures made with dry and heat embossing. Im enjoying the steps you have done to achieve the foiling too. Thank you for playing at The Male Room. Thanks, Clarissa DT

Irena Stefanova said...

This is super cute! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Mix It Up Challenge Blog’s February Anything Goes + Stenciling challenge! We hope you visit us often!
Hugs,
Irena, MIUCB DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

This is just wonderful, love the shiny hearts and the embossed background a GREAT card. Thank you so much for joining us in our Use Embossing challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT

Chana Malkah said...

You nailed it! I love each project and can't decide on a favorite! Thanks for a wonderful entry into our challenge at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Sari / Granne said...

What a lovely sparkly design full of love. Thank you for playing along at the Male Room Embossing challenge. A new fun challenge will soon be up to play along with, I hope to see you again.