Sunday, September 1, 2024

September 1st Weekly Post

 Happy Sunday and a new month!
I'm honored to be on the 2024 Art Journal Journey Guest Host list and it's my turn! 
I chose the theme of Anything Goes for September.
Here's my sample make for inspiration.
I had one page left to make in my 2009-2012 Almost Daily Journal. It sat facing the page I did on my work retirement in 2009, so I made this page about my new gig, hobby art.
And I thought this Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous quote spoke well to the page. I stamped it on a scrap of deli paper previously painted with metallic paints or watercolors, not sure which. I heat-embossed the stamping, with it and the paper giving off a nice sheen. I used 2 sets of Jane Davenport dies to cut scrap cardstock in 3 colors for the Muse, hanging hearts and border. I outlined the turquoise blue Muse's diecut lines with a little darker colored Promarker, and I was able to do this because the Muse's face, hair and neck stayed together after cutting once, so instead of going for a deeper cleaner cut I used the intact die cut and backed it with tape immediately, then a handcut backing layer of white card scrap. The other dies cut cleanly, so who knows? I made it work for me.
Thought I'd show the spread BEFORE...
And AFTER.
It does have continuity of subject matter and color. You can see how I transformed the background on my sample make. That was with many layers of acrylic paint, brushing on and scrubbing off. Then I wrote art examples I was into then around the page on yellow washi tape.
And a shot of my completed journal!
It only took me 12 additional years, lol.
😏
I hope you will join AJJ this month if you art journal!
Thanks for the visit and enjoy your day.
XOX

13 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope this publishes. I have a book (7 Continents) I started in 2004 and I still work on it. I understand how long it can take to finish a journal or altered book.

I love how you coordinated the page with the one opposite it. And I like how you framed your muse with washi tape. Any frame seems to make a work of art more important. This is a wonderful first entry using your theme at Art Journal Journey, Aimeslee.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, such a fabulous journal and what beautiful pages designs! Glad you got it finished too, such fun 😊. Thanks for a great theme this month and wishing you very happy hosting ❤️. Happy September! Hugs, Jo x

Gillena Cox said...

Eonderful samples of Anything goes
Happy Sunday

much♡love

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous journal page! Have fun hosting at AJJ, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Your last and newest page works so well with your retirement page. Not only theme wise, but colors and details too. I like the face and and the details you included. Nice quote too. I somehow missed that one by TH. And congrats on finishing a journal. As Elizabeth said, it takes me a long time to finish some journals too. In fact for this month I'm working on one from 2016 which you will see bits of as time goes on. :) Happy September to you. And welcome as our AJJ host. hugs-Erika

Makira said...

💙💙💙 this! Love the washi tape border. Have a great Labor Day Weekend! Cheers, Makira

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love it when I find an empty or unfinished page in an old journal.
You certainly filled the gap well! Love the frame with all of the things you love around the beautiful Muse and her good advice! Looking forward to getting back into my art room - although it is more like the room of doom at the moment - need to get stuff away! Hugs , Chrisx

Alyson Mayo said...

Love that quote! This is a great layout next to the previous one. Art journaling still has me struggling… you certainly give me some ideas!

Anita said...

Congratulations on finishing your journal! It's such a feeling of relief and pride when you do, isn't it? :-) Makes me want to go through all the pages once, too, for a hit of nostalgia. ;-) Love how your current page works so well with the earlier one. I also feel it shows your growth as an artist! xo Anita

sirkkis said...

Beautifully made page 😍

Empire of the Cat said...

haha I had to laugh when you said it took you 12 additional years, sounds familiar lol. I do love your page, especially side by side with your retired page - they look so good together. I thought that die looked familiar, I'm sure I have one somewhere... in the stash. Thanks for hosting this month, and I will definitely join in again, when my brain adjusts lol. Ideas are cooking...

Bonnie Lynn said...

Fabulous page Aimes. I love how your completed journal looks. I really need to get to work on mine. I hope you're having a good day.

craftytrog said...

Congratulations on your hosting this month Aimeslee!
I simply adore your page, with all those bright colours and that fabulous quote. A wonderful final page in your journal.
Happy September!
Alison