Thursday, August 1, 2024

Back On and Catching Up

 Hey there.
Thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers!
We survived the hurricane and I'm back online to do a catch up post.
I missed being able to post some DT makes, so first I'll start with the most recent.
Here is my DT make for Pattie's Creations Challenge #221 which starts now through September 4.  I used her Black-Eyed Susans digi, coloring them with Promarkers and accenting the seed heads with Nuvo Crystal Glaze.
I used this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout but changed it to a landscape orientation.
(I submitted my project late so it's not in the challenge post, but I've shared it here anyway.)

Next, my Guest Host Design for Sunday Post Card Art's current theme of Jellyfish, where you still have another day to enter. I have used Visible Image stamps on a Distress smooshed ink background.

And next, my Guest Design make for the current Dream Factory Challenge #130, which ends on August 14. 
I used this Splitcoaststampers sketch as a loose layout guide.
I arranged 2 old Polkadoodles cossack digis that I found in my files on my card front, coloring the whole scene with colored pencils and then accenting with gel pens on an ink-stenciled confetti background. I also added two balloon die cuts and a few die cut confetti bits. The sentiment was added by me in PSE before printing.

And here's my DT make for the current Beautiful Blossoms Challenge #19, which ends on August 12.
I created a Distress ink-stenciled background and added a palm tree die cut and some die cut stars and sea gull. My floral image is an Alex Syberia digi called Tropical Bouquet and I fussy cut it to pop it up with dimensionals. It and the tree were colored with Promarkers and accented with gel pens.
  
I took inspiration in the tropical blooms and leaves of the mood board and used a Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design, stretching it to a 6x6 size.

*****************
Now, for a personal update:
Honey and I came through the hurricane okay, just losing our old backyard fence on one side. (The other side got taken out by the Durecho storm in May and its replacement weathered Beryl well.)
But we lost power, internet, cable TV and cellphone for the first week, then spotty coverage at best the second week. Luckily we had the natural gas generator for electricity, but not being able to connect with the outside world for so long was not fun and anxiety-inducing. We talked quite a bit about the current state of our old house, the local infrastructure and local city government. 
And by the end of that first week we'd made plans to move a couple hundred miles inland close to our daughter and son-in-law, hopefully by year's end. Beryl made us throw in the towel, as in last straw. Our city has not been run well for a few years now and our area's infrastructure is frankly falling apart. We miss our kids and want to see them more.
We've made a few day trips to explore housing and tomorrow we leave for a few towns closer to the kids. 
So enough for this post and to be continued tomorrow...

19 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

First, on a personal note, your news is quite tragic and I'm glad you made out ok. It did certainly give you reflection time. Your decision to move is a good one by the sound of it. I'd like your new address when you have one.

Your cards are so, so nice. Can you guess my favourite? It's the jelly fish. Your smooshed background really looks like what under the ocean would look like. That jellyfish is spot on.

Have a super weekend!

Anita said...

Aimeslee! It's wonderful to hear from you, and I'm so glad you and your husband are safe. Good for you that you're moving--we deserve to stay where we are most content and taken care of. Wish you good luck!

It's awesome that you were able to be creative during these annoying infrastructure problems. Love your cards, and I'm looking forward to more as always. :-)

craftytrog said...

A marvellous selection of art Aimeslee!
I'm so pleased you are ok after the hurricane, you've been missed. Praying that your moving plans go smoothly. It will be good to be near to your family.
Big hugs,
Alison

Jocelyn said...

Hi Aimes

Nice to see you doing some crafting. So pleased to hear that you are both ok. I hope your search for a new home goes well and that you will soon be settled nearer to your family. Sending crafting hugs
Jocelyn x

Bonnie Lynn said...

Aimes, your cards are gorgeous!! As for your update.......Holy Cow girl!! You have been through the fire because of Beryl. I'm so glad you, and your hubby, came through the storm ok and your generator worked. As for the rest of it, it sounds like my local government. No common sense and everything goes for the stupid high speed choo choo that's bankrupting everyone. I think your decision to move closer to your kids is a good one. Hang in there my friend.

Alyson Mayo said...

Love all of these but especially the underwater scene - gorgeous! Glad you are somewhat back to normal but it's scary living in an area so prone to massive storms.

Cazro said...

Hi, I am so sorry to read up on your latest horrific news. We in the UK only rarely have experienced a hurricane, so I can't imagine the worry, the fear, the destruction. I have seen this on Amertican movies but still can't relate with this devestation and horror. My prayers go to you and your fellow neighbbours and friends, may all be soon good again. Good luck and best wishes for good viewing near to your kids. I look forward to seeing your cards being entered into our challenges again. Take care and know we across the pond are thinking of you. Caz

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

My Dear Aimes, I'm so glad to hear there was minimal damage with Beryl. It must have been terrifying, though. Your decision to move sounds like it is a wise one. One that I hope will be a quick one for you. How exciting, a new life change and exciting too. Good Luck with it all. Your cards are beautiful quirky, wonderful, beautiful ideas, and details in them all, as usual. x

Sim said...

Dear Aimeslee, thank you so much for your comment under my 'Jellyfish'.
I just understood the dramatic experience you just went through and am glad you are safe and sound. Phew!
Thanks for your challenge theme which was great while you didn't have access to it, and I'm glad you're back on the web.
Stay safe and still happy creating.

peggy gatto said...

A very lovely collection!!

bockel24 said...

I really love your jellyfish card, and as I´ve been worried about your health, I´m really happy to read that everything's ok with you ...

My name is Erika. said...

It's good to see you back and sharing some art, but I totally understand why you'd move. I know what it's like not living close to a daughter, but those storms that keep coming through your area are crazy. I don't blame you for doing some serious thinking and deciding on a move. I hope you can find a place that makes you happy. And it's nice to see these lovely art pieces. You have been very busy lately. Happy August to you. hugs-Erika

Carol said...

Hi Aimes - me again.

Like everyone else, I am so pleased to read that you are both OK - and we miss you.
We at CD Sunday are hoping that you will be back with us when you can but obviously understand the difficulties you are facing. So I am sending love and strength and hope to hear more from you when you can.

Take care
Hugs
Carol xx

Mandy said...

Aimeslee I have been out of the loop crafting wise for the last couple of months....life got in the way and busy with work.

I saw on CD Sunday you were having problems so popped over to check it out. I am sorry to hear you had such bad storm damage especially so close to the last lot. It sounds as though the poor state of affairs in your city has left you making some tough decisions but I do think after the dust has settled you will be happier to be closer to your family and sounds like you will be in a better geographical area and hopefully less storms.

Wishing you lots of love and strength to get through this. You are always such a positive person I am sure no matter what comes you will make the bess of your situation.

Love and best wishes

Mandy xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So pleased to read you and Honey are ok been horrendous to watch on the news but for you to be amongst those storms which come more and more I think it's wise to think about moving closer to family. I hope and pray that it's not long before you can make that move, family is so important in this wild world.
Continue to create and make beautiful expressive art.. it's a healer.
Sending Hugs Tracey xx

*Vicki* said...

Hello my friend and it's so great to see back to posting once again! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that and I'm sure how stressful that would be! Totally understand your thought process and where your plans go from here. Those type of things are the reason why I keep myself where I am...wishing you lots of hope and hugs ahead!

Wow, all of your creations are stunning here! Thanks for the lovely catching up with you inspiration here! You SCS sketch turned out beautiful and I love the colors! The jellyfish is very cool and that background turned out amazing! These are all so creative and fun! Thanks for sharing!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love your jellyfish card - what a hard time you have had. I hope your plans come to a beautiful conclusion for you.

bockel24 said...

I´m glad to read that you´re safe, dear Aimeslee! And I really liked your jellyfish card (sorry, I don´t own any jellyfish stamps)!

Seafield Jo said...

Hi Aimes, I'm just back from a week away and very relieved to hear that you are both ok. I hope the house-hunting goes well and that you are soon moved and settled. Thinking of you and sending lots of love. Jo xx