Sunday, August 4, 2024

Mermaid Mixed Media Decor

Today I have a mixed media home decor piece to share.
Time has gotten away from me again, been doing that since the storm.
I hope it goes away. I'm used to being on top of my time. In my past work life, I had to account for my time down to the nearest 15 minutes so I came to develop a sixth sense about its passage. But now it wants to play hide and seek, lol.
This was supposed to be a DT inspiration make...but then Beryl hit.
The dimensions are 7 x 8 inches.
I covered my cardboard base with some old blue water designer paper and ink-distressed all 4 edges with Chipped Sapphire and Uncharted Mariner Distress inks and a foam tool.
Then I adhered diecut strips of green water paper across the piece at top and bottom plus 3 in between. I inked the edges of those with a small thin blending brush and Peacock Feathers DI.
Next, I grabbed some Lumiere white acrylic paint and a Dylusions Bubble stencil and added little bubbles all over.
Then I fussy cut each of the 3 mermaid girls that were from an old calendar planner and adhered them along the bottom after discovering they could hold hands! I used some white gel pen to outline their fins. They're making waves!
I had a leftover piece of paper die cut netting so I added it and a die cut circle cut using some leftover LOTV digital glitter paper from a previous project. I drew waves on it with a white gel pen. I adhered the circle to the netting using a smaller diecut circle of foam dimensional to pop it up a bit. Then I fussy cut a Gecko Galz Mermaid Mischief freebie image from my files, glued it on a white card, cut that to get a border, then ran a Cocktail Pink Promarker around it. I adhered her with foam strips to pop her up a bit more.
Next, I did some sewing, attaching the seashell sequins along the top with pink thread after spacing out and punching the holes through the cardboard with my Fiber Friend ruler and my bookbinding awl on my thick foam piercing mat.
Here's what the back looked like before covering the stitching with that zigzag washi tape. I've had the ruler forever and it's always so handy.
A close up of the Stampendous sentiment from Creative Stamping Magazine Issue 97. I used Versamark and white embossing powder to heat emboss it on a scrap of the same paper that I used for the base. I die cut it with a nested label die and glued it to another LOTV digital glitter paper scrap die cut with the next larger label die. Then I popped that up on dimensional foam and added all the little fish diecut out of white card.
I think that's all. I did alot on this piece but it was fun.
Close up showing the white acrylic stenciled bubbles.
And final view.
I really love how this turned out and it's already displayed on our front foyer table.
I still have projects I've yet to blog from as far back as the Spring, so I'm going to try to share weekly from now on. In the meantime, more house and community hunting!

5 comments:

craftytrog said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Aimeslee! I love those mermaids.
Happy new week.
Alison

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Really lovely work so cheerful, bright in colour and wonderful detail like a highly illustrated page in a marvellous story book. I like how the mermaids are all holding hands :) and those sweet sewn on shells..
Glad you are now able to make time for art again take care Hugs Tracey x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

SO much work in this gorgeous creation Aimes, wonderful details and love the stitched in sea shells. I hope things get back to "normal" soon. x

Anita said...

This is such a fun piece, Aimeslee! Love all the colors and details in it, and the seashell sequins are so awesome!! I hope your time superpower returns when life gets back to normal. :-) Anita xo

My name is Erika. said...

Oh course I'm glad to stop by and visit. It's good you're back. I swear I commented on this piece, but I didn't see a comment by me. Hmmmm. Did I get interrupted when I went to comment or did my comment nor go through? Hmmmm.You always have such fun ideas, like this piece. Who doesn't like mermaids? . Those little fish caught my eye. Did you die cut them all at once or did you have to do them one at a time? And I like how you stitched on the shells. Isn't it interesting how a little stitch can make such a difference texture. I hope was good last week. I'm off to read your latest post. hugs-Erika