Sunday, August 11, 2024

August 11th Weekly Post

 Sunday Greetings and another week has passed, so time for a post to share a few makes that I created before/during the hurricane. The two weeks afterwards, largely cut off from the outside world, I saved my sanity by reading 6 books on my Kindle and working through some of my UFAP's (Unfinished Art Projects) that I had stacked in shoebox lids. 
I think I did this one back in June. I used an Artistic Outpost stamp set called Ice Cream Shoppe along with MFT cherry dies, a Lawn Fawn phrase border die, Spellbinders rectangle and oval dies and a Tonic corner punch. Stamped with Versafine Clair, colored with Promarkers and accented with Nuvo red glaze. Various card stocks, no designer papers on this one.
And I used this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design.
On the back, I stamped this Artistic Outpost Bottlecap Background stamp and colored with Promarkers.

I colored up this My Besties cutie with Promarkers and created the card during the storm. She helped me take my mind off it, especially in these cool calming colors. The card base and mats is SU and the designer papers were found in my Christmas paper scraps. I edged the focal image with glitter brush pens and accented her outfit with Ice Blue Stickles. I added some vinyl holographic snowflakes to finish.
And I used this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design.

We're in the Dog Days of Summer with highs of 100F, so travel is off for the next few weeks until it cools down a bit. And that's been good because we finally found an answer for why we continue to feel like we are in an alternative time / universe and cannot seem to snap back into our previous schedules. Our doctor is seeing a lot of it and says it's a form of P.T.S.D. And many are our age. He is calling it Hurricane Oltimers, lol. There seems to be a point at which some people just cannot take anymore of the hurricane mindset. And the cure is either to get out of the situation or get into some therapy to help deal with it. This makes a lot of sense to me. So we began online therapy to help us get re-focussed on our future and deal with the ambivalent feelings. In case you haven't noticed I've made the decision to not do challenges or DT work anymore. Not gonna lie, that was a tough decision as I was really into it for so long and has probably added to my loss of identity if you will. But at the same time I'm relieved as we both have been feeling tired and motivation to do the daily stuff is hard. I'm sure the heat doesn't help. So, for the time being I shall continue to research homes, slowly de-clutter this house, take care of my health/fitness, get my sleep, read more books and work on my little backlog of art to-do's.

Have a great week and see you next Sunday!
XOX

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad to see you around again. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel after such a long time dealing with hurricanes. I'm glad you're trying therapy, and hope it will help you. Good that you are going to concentrate more on yourself, that'a good. Stay safe and well, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I recognized that ice cream shop and from Artistic Outpost right off the bat. And the bottle caps too. It's too bad they haven't made any new sets (I think they were sold several years ago...) or perhaps they still make new sets and I haven't found them at all. I like the red with cardstock too. And you purple princes is very cute too. I can see why she helped you take your mind off the storm. Have a great week ahead. hugs-Erika

Chrissy said...

Glad you are safe and what a lovely comeback with all these fabulous projects, love the masculine one and the little girl with the bird is so cute.. it is hard to step down from design teams but your mind and soul come first,..take care..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Alyson Mayo said...

These are both so cute - I really like the image on the second card and your colouring is terrific :)

*Vicki* said...

You've done some really great projects with those SCS sketches! I love how you've even decorated the back of the top card! Such a fun birthday card! I adore the second card with the cute image and your fantastic coloring with her!

I'm glad that you're realizing your limits and seeking some advise on working through some things which is hard enough in itself. Working on yourself is extremely important and so undervalued. Take care of you my friend! Sending hugs

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I can't imagine having to wait and go through hurricanes Aimes, I can quite understand the P.T.S.D. It's good you are now concentrating on the move, so it will give you a "calmer" life. Big Hugs. As for your cards, they are brilliant and such fun, so different but both just marvellous. x

Anita said...

The self-care and the move are good decisions, Aimeslee! (And so is spending time on calming art to-dos.) Hope they make you feel like yourself again. Sending you hugs. xx

craftytrog said...

Both cards are wonderful Aimeslee! It's good to have our art to keep us calm. Hope the storms are gone soon.
Alison xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Omg I had no idea this had happened to you, I've been so out of touch lately and being offline. That must be so scary living with that threat all the time, I'm glad you had decided to move to a safer location, and I hope you find a wonderful home wherever you end up. I love the bottlecap card! xx