Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Truly Amazing

Hey there, hope all is well with you.
I have been recuperating from my hip acting up when I sit at the computer for too long, so I apologize for being behind in email correspondence. 
I've run out of prepared posts, so just a short one tonight.
I've been working on this page in my Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal, here and there in random moments, standing up, because I wanted to try using this Art by Marlene Mystical City stamp set. I've had it for quite a while, I love the magical mystical fairy tale look, but I have never used it before now. And as my arthritis pain stresses me out and art journaling aka "playing" helps me relieve stress, this was quite therapeutic fun for me.

At any rate, I stamped the images and the Autumn Leaves Ronna Farrer flourished sentiment with Versafine Clair Nocturne ink directly on the page and then because I wasn't getting a crisp enough impression in the middle of the images, I stamped them again on sticker paper to color and fussy cut. This was highly annoying because I was planning to watercolor the images. But they are way too detailed and small to do that, so I suppose the stamping failure was a blessing in disguise. I got to color the sky with different mediums trying them out without worrying about the images getting in the way. Water-soluble crayons, Distress inks and metallic paints were layered to produce the sky. The sun was colored with pencils and gel pens. On her face, I used a gold metallic colored pencil because I wanted her to glow. I have 2 brands of gold colored pencil: Derwent and Caran d'Ache. The Derwent is a lot lighter in color and that's what I used.
To color the Cityscape, I used colored pencils and highlighted a lot with my gel pens.
I would never be able to do this in one sitting, even if my hip wasn't hurting.
I wanted a really cool sky and a really cool cityscape, and I think this comes close to what I envisioned. 
Basically, just {f}arting around and playing with my art supplies.

Thanks for the visit and have a great day!
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
Media: Paper, Stamping ink, Distress inks, Metallic paints, Crayons, Colored pencils, Gel pens
All of the stamps I used, including the ancient sentiment, is a NBUS (Never Before Used Schtuff)
Reminds me of WDW Epcot World Showcase
Inspired by the festive look and colors of the 'city'

22 comments:

Makira said...

This is fantastic! I thought of world showcase, but it also reminds me of some of the background and stages in "It's a Small World Ride." Thank you for playing with us! Sorry to hear your hurting; hip pain is tough! I hope you start to feel better soon! xoxo Makira

Melanie Hungerford said...

Beautiful work! Sometimes when the original idea doesn't go as planned the alternative ends up being even better! Thanks for sharing with us at the Paper Funday Challenge.

My name is Erika. said...

I really like Art by Marlene images because they're playful and a little bit magical too. Your city is definitely magical and looks like a fun place to be. Even maybe a good holiday place to be. And it's nice to see a smiling sun. This is a super page for Wendy's challenge. Thanks for joining us. I'm also behind with emails as I was out all day yesterday so maybe today I can catch up a bit. Smile. Enjoy your Wednesday. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous Piece! Just saying hello, hugs, Valerie

María said...

A gorgeous page full of colour and shine. And those stamps are wonderful. A fantastic project. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.

WendyK said...

A lovely colourful city scape for my theme on AJJ, thank you for sharing.

Donna Walls said...

Great journaling page and I love your interpretation of the inspiration photo this month, very clever indeed! Thanks for playing along with us at The Inspiration Station Challenge. We hope to see you again soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

Donna Walls said...

I forgot to thank you for sharing your fun piece with us at The Paper Funday Challenge also!

Sue Jackson said...

What a beautiful and colorful cityscape! The time you spent coloring this definitely paid off! Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz! I hope to see you in the gallery again soon and I hope your hip is getting better as well. Sue - DT

Fiona said...

What a vibrant piece. Great colouring on that lovely stamp. Thanks for sharing with us at Krafty Chicks

Neet said...

Such a magical page, gorgeous images and beautifully coloured to make your page for the theme at AJJ.
I am sorry to hear about your hip pain, I suffer with it too but funnily enough mine is brought on by standing. Perhaps shaking us up together would cure both of us.
Hugs, Neet xx

Angela said...

Very pretty page!

Pauline C said...

Beautiful mystical page - it looks really Zen and the colours are magical. Thanks so much for sharing with this month's "I Spy With My Little Eye" challenge theme "Sparkle and Shine"
Pauline xx

Lisa said...

I really love the imagery on this page and your wonderful colors really bring them to life.

Ellibelle said...

Such a fun and colorful page! Thanks so much for sharing at I spy with my little eye! Sorry to hear yoru hip is giving you trouble. Feel better soon!!

Chana Malkah said...

This is so fun and beautifully executed! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Gillena Cox said...

Enchanting journal page
Happy Holidays🎅🌲

Much♡love

Nicole said...

This page is absolutely gorgeous! I just love all your drawing and coloring! Thanks for participating with the Inspiration Station!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Bright and beautiful, I do love all Art by Marlene, fabulous page.
Thank you for sharing @ Creative Artiste and joining our 100 challenge.
Best wishes, Happy Christmas and all the best for 2024. Tracey (DT)

cass said...

Wonderful page, thanks for joining us at A Place to Start

KarinsArtScrap said...

great page you made but for coloring with pencils you have to do everything in pencils.


kleurenmetpotloden.blogspot.com DT Member

Karin

Scrapcreaties Mirande said...

Heel erg mooi gekleurd. Superleuke kaart.Bedankt voor het meedoen aan de challenge op het blog "Kleuren met potloden".
Groetjes Mirande.