Thursday, November 9, 2023

First Car Christmas/Winter Memories

 Hi there, hope you are all doing okay.
I have a mixed media art journal page to share today.
I was planning to finish this up a few days ago, but Life got in the way.
I made this in my art journal about my younger years: 
This is the cover and that is my own sketch with some letter stickers I colored. It's a repurposed academic school planner that Dear Daughter left behind when she moved out to go to college. The pages are thick and take gesso and paint really well. I haven't worked in it for a while but it's almost full.

I took process shots of my page...
Here's how the naked page looked after a thin coat of gesso.

I wanted to completely cover up the page with paint, so I used some Lake Wanaka Blue Paper Artsy Fresco Chalk Acrylic paint, liberally applied like impasto with a 2-inch wide Color Shaper rubber paint brush tool. That took care of it!

.
After that dried, I pulled out a small sea sponge and some Iceberg Blue PA Fresco paint, and dabbed that all over the page, leaving some of the darker blue in the center. Made it look pretty wintery.

While that dried, I added dies cut from white scrap card: a Cottage Cutz Icicle Border and a Sizzix/TH Treeline Thinlit Border. I globbed on some Arctic Ice Stickles to the icicle die and brushed the treeline die with clear Wink of Stella.

Then, I cut a piece of Avery Trueblock Label paper for the bottom half of the page. I sketched a roadway, colored it with black colored pencil (and some white on top of that for frost) and then I wrote out my journaling with a Sakura blue Stardust gelly roll pen. Then I adhered the label paper to my scene and accented the lines with Frosted Lace Stickles and let that dry.
Next, I added the large sentiment with some very old blue Stickopotamus Brush Letter stickers. A few of them have white centers because they are vellum stickers and they had stuck to the backing paper. That's ok, used 'em anyway! Then, I printed out the Leann's World Beetle Bug digi and fussy cut it. Because my actual car was white, I kept the digi white, but did a lot of coloring on the trim with a silver Stardust gel pen and grey Promarkers, adding just a touch of gold and red on the front lights with gel pens. I made sure to color the windows with a light grey Promarker to "frost" them, then brushed clear Wink of Stella over them and the body.
And done!



Some close-ups to show the sparklies!

I found this real 1968 model online. This is pretty much exactly how I remember my car.

And this is the Sapphire radio that was in my car, and why I named her Sapphire.

And final view. I'm really happy with how this turned out. It helps me remember my beloved first car and also that winter when it snowed three times!

Thanks for visiting and hanging in there through this photo-laden post.
Have a great rest of your week!
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
Mixed Media Used: 
Paper, gesso, acrylic paint, colored pencil, alcohol marker, liquid glitter, glitter glue, gel pens
Christmas / "I loved that car dearly" last sentence of journaling
O Column: Layers/Free/Rectangle
Used the colors and sparkly shine from the photo
Mixed Media Used: 
Paper, gesso, acrylic paint, colored pencil, alcohol marker, liquid glitter, glitter glue, gel pens
Used 2 dies listed in above post
I'm always a sucker for blue and metallic for Christmas. To me, it's a modern color scheme.
Texture was definitely a key part of this mixed media creation, from the sponged sky to the glittery icicles to the white trees and illusion of ground snow, smooth blacktop road and frost on my car.

35 comments:

Carol said...

I loved reading about your memory and seeing your great art work. My first 'my' car was in fact a blue mini. So old and difficult that I had to hold it in gear with the gear stick (manual).
I smiled when you complained that it snowed three times that year. If it had only snowed three times a year in the 60's over here we would have been celebrating. And in the late fifties I remember having to walk to school - ploughing through the drifts.
Thank you for sharing your memories with us.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Jocelyn said...

What a fabulous page and I love the story behind it. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun story. I bet snow driving down in your area was not fun in the winter. It's not fun here either, but maybe you didn't have snow tires. Sometimes I don't know if they really help all that much when it's slippery. This is a great page for that story, and I like how you drew in the road, added the trees, and told your story.

I also have to laugh when you said in your comment on my post how my picket fence reminds you of a cemetery fence. Up here old family plots are usually surrounded by stone walls. Use what you have, right? But I know what you mean about actual fences as I've seen them in other places. Nope, the fence is to help keep all the critters out, which is only partially successful. But it looks nice and cottage-like.

Thanks for sharing this with us at AJJ. It's a really fun page for Jo's nature challenge. hugs-Erika

ScrappyHorses said...

Wonderful journal page full of texture and wonderful memories! My guy drove an old VW Bug through high school and there's just something so special about those old beat up cars with no frills! His was almost missing the floor boards! hahaha Thanks for sharing this wonderful story and precious memories with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous page, and of course I love the Beetle, I think we all loved them. And thanks so much for linking to Jo's challenge at AJJ, your snow and snowy trees are gorgeous. Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

María said...

An awesome page, I love the way you've created the background and the idea of that car in the middle of the snow. Thanks for sharing the story about your first car. And thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.

Bonnie Lynn said...

Awesome journal page Aimes. I loved reading about your car and the story behind it's name. Mine was a 1978 Plymouth Duster that kept trying to die on me when starting in cold weather. I hope you're having a pain free day.

Michelle N. said...

What a great memory to journal! You did a wonderful job! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

Neet said...

What a lovely wintry scene you have built up here Aimselee. I enjoyed the journey you took us on whilst you achieved that wintry look.
Love the icicles dangling from the top and the diecut trees just set back from the road. Such a good idea to use the foreground for journal notes about your first car. The heading letters are perfect too.
Hugs, Neet xx

ClaireB said...

Terrific wintery scene, so many techniques involved too. I loved reading your story about the car. Thanks for joining us at the Pearly Sparkles challenge this month Claire DT

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a wonderful page and a great memory - i love the sparkle too! Thanks so much for sharing at both Try It On Tuesday and AJJ, hugs, Chrisx

Deanne Saunders said...

Great job!!! Thanks so much for participating in our DRAGONFLY DREAMS challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Becca S said...

I enjoyed reading your creative processing! Great wintery scene full of memories for you. When I was 14-15 years old, my dad had a Trans-Am that I drove all around our little town of about 200+/-. Weeks before I turned 16, he sold it!!!!! Ugh! But about 2-3 years later he bought a 1968 white Ford Fairlane CONVERTIBLE that he let me take to college for my spring semester of 3rd year and all of my senior year!!!! Now that was a cool ride and got me a lot of attention around the Christian university campus! :) Thanks for supporting FQCCCB! --Becca

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant card, great design for our challenge.… Many thanks for entering and hope to see you again soon. Good luck in the final draw.
[aNNie proud Designer for Peace on Earth Christmas challenges
https://thejourneyisthestarthere.blogspot.com/{My Blog}

Fabiola said...

quelle originalité Aimeslee, très belle création, merci de jouer avec nous chez ABC Christmas Challenge, biz

Pamela said...

A great journal page. And your 'colouring' of the white car works really well.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I always loved the Beetle, but I never have had a car of my own, our first car was a Morris Minor, smelling so damp, we had to keep air fresheners in it. We had flowers around the dashboard and crochet blankets over the seats, we loved her. Thanks for bringing back lovely memories. A great page Aimes.
Faith x

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! Loving the recycled page and the snowy scene that you created - beautiful 😊. Thanks so much for joining us at AJJ! Hugs, Jo x

Darlene said...

WOW this is fabulous! What a beautiful scene you have created! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B

Arlene said...

My first car was a little Beetle Bug with a roof too. I can certainly relate to your post. What fun.

Thank you for joining us at Die Cut Divas for the Any Holiday Challenge this month. Arlene

Seafield Jo said...

I loved reading your post. All that work paid off, it's a fabulous page and a lovely memory.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jo x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Lisa said...

Really wonderful journal page. I love that you repurposed a journal from your kid. I have a few I found last week from my little guy. I might need to get in to doing journal pages.

Chrissy said...

What a wonderful art journal page, and I love how you did your own handwriting, makes it really your own, love it, fabulous winter scene too..
Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge this fortnight at As You Like It..

Luv CHRISSYxx


Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is beautiful. You did a great job sharing your first ever car and how it snowed three times where you live. A definite oddity. I love the background with the trees, too. Thanks for sharing this at Art Journal Journey using Jo's nature theme.

samantha's cards said...

What a delightful Christmas card, Thanks for joining us at THAIC.

Anita said...

Must've been such a dear car, Aimeslee! (Vintage cars had so much character.) You've done an amazing job showing your fondness for it! I also like the transformation of your page into a wintery background--the icicle-included scenery that you've created really puts the triple-snowing into perspective, haha! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Artiste.

Zw@@n said...

Gorgeous journal page, Aimeslee. Great scene too. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It.xx Wilma

Alyson Mayo said...

Terrific background with so much detail! That little white car - a perfect first car for anyone!

Larelyn said...

Thank you for joining our Cut it Up "Layer it Up" challenge. Please join our newest challenge #291 "Friends and Family."
Hugs,
Larelyn (CIU owner)

Pat said...

I've always thought the VW Beetle has the most wonderful curvy shape and it was the bees knees in 1968. I love this page and what you have said about owning the car. A/C was non existent then, and heating was rather variable too...lol. We are spoilt today with all the mod cons in cars now, and so many other things we now take for granted. x

Helen said...

Great journal page and good to see how it came together.

Thanks for joining us at the Creative Fingers Challenge Blog.

Helen x
DT

cass said...

Wonderful journal page, thanks for joining us at Pearly Sparkles this month for our Christmas/Winter challenge

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great page, 1968 sure was a great year!! Love the story your shared about the love you have for your first car, you created a super page to show us just how much it meant to you. Love that snowy layout bet you had some terrific journeys cruising in it.
Thanks so much for sharing with us @ Creative Artiste, I enjoyed so much reading about the special memories you obviously still have with it.
Best wishes Tracey (DT) xx

Barb Finnical said...

Aimeslee, this is sooo adorable! My mom had a car just like that and I used to ride with my best friend in the very back in that little compartment. We were so skinny back then! What beautiful memories! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at Christmas BINGO Challenges this time! We love your work! :)

crafty said...

Lovely page.Thank you for joining our Aud Sentiments challenge.
Mary