Wednesday, November 8, 2023

A Yellow, Orange and Brown Card for Christmas

Hello there, hope everyone is having a productive week.
I am supposed to be guest designing at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge #559 sometime today, so I'm going ahead and posting this to be sure it's up, as I will be away from my computer with other activities. I made this Christmas card for a devout Catholic on our card list. I will mail it early so she will have it before St. Lucia's Day and Festival of Lights at her church. This beautiful image reminded me very much of this Saint.

I was provided Penny's sponsor Ching-Chou Kuik's Light of Hope black n white digi to use. I also took the MTTCC challenge dare to make a Christmas card using yellow, orange and brown. I just happened to have a very old sheet scrap of Daisy D orange poppy snowflake paper and used much of the last of it on the front and back. I pulled a sheet of rusty brown SU card stock to cut my A7 card base and a scrap sheet of lemon yellow KI Memories card for the bottom layer mat. I stamped the Sweet N Sassy and Hero Arts sentiments on scrap pieces of the brown card with Versamark Ink and heat-embossed with Ranger Lemon Yellow powder. (Love that stuff on dark card, it pops!) I die cut them with Avery Elle and Lawn Fawn dies. I also cut a candle light glow circle and colored it yellow and added glitter. In the top right corner I added a Memory Box Madeira Corner die cut out of white card scrap. On that die I layered several stars punched out of the yellow card and brushed with glitter. I also added one of the stars to the round sentiment. 

Inside, another Hero Arts sentiment from the same very old stamp set, stamped in Acorn Versafine Clair Ink on a white card scrap.

The back is simply dressed with more of the orange snowflake paper and a stamped and punched siggie colored with a pale yellow Promarker and matted on punched brown card.

I colored her skin and hair with my colored pencils, everything else was colored with Promarkers and accented with clear Wink of Stella liquid glitter brush pen and white gel pen, then fussy-cut it out to add to my card front.

Final view. I like the 2 whimsical elements of the starry corner and the little candle light glow. And the color scheme does take one for surprise at first, but why not? Christmas comes in all colors!
😎
Thanks to Penny's for asking me to guest design.
Thanks to you for visiting and have a great day!
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
I've used Memory Box Madiera Corner die
I love both, but a great non-traditional (modern) color scheme can be eye-catching and fun.
I used the oranges, yellow and browns in the photo
I used the candle and the browns in the photos.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epR_h2f8g0
O Column: Layers / Rectangle / Free
G words: God's Gift
I've used Autumn colors on a Christmas card.
I used the colors in the photo

38 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a very unusual card, but I am sure your Catholic friend will enjoy it. Have a wonderful day, have fun, hugs, Valerie

Beccy said...

Absolutely beautiful Aimeslee! Your colouring is wonderful and you did a great job choosing the perfect papers to coordinate with the image. I don't think I've ever seen snowflakes on orange before... how fabulous! Usually they're always on cool colours, so it's great to see something a bit different.
Cheers,
Beccy

Jocelyn said...

A lovely image and it's nice to see alternative colours used for Christmas. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Alyson Mayo said...

This is so different but a great idea. That colour scheme is a tough one and you nailed it! Thanks for sharing with us at MTTCC :)

ScrappyHorses said...

Beautiful in these colors and Christmas does come in many colors! Such a great starry corner shining on this lovely focal image! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Darlene said...

So sweet! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B

Ellibelle said...

Such a beautiful iamge and gorgeous card! Thank you so much for joining us this month at I spy with my little eye!

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Heather said...

What a pretty image - and great use of the colors! That background paper is SO pretty, too! Thanks so much for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments!

Becca Sadler said...

Beautiful and the color combo works wonderfully for St. Lucia's focus on bringing light to darkness!!! Kudos for tackling MTTCC's color trio! I'm needing to start 2 cards using St. Lucia for a different December holiday other than Christmas and another for a candle/lantern theme. I had something like this in mind so it's great for me to see that you've done something marvelous with same theme. Mine won't be as tremendously spectacular as yours but I can hope and dream to come close. :) --Becca S

Chrissy said...

Beautiful rich colours for Christmas..Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge this fortnight at As You Like It..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Pamela said...

I'm sure your friend will love her personalised card.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Carol said...

Well done in taking up the dare. The colours have made a beautiful, unusual card.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous image and I love the non-traditional Christmas colors, Aimeslee! Your coloring looks amazing! Thanks for sharing at Die Cut Divas!!

Em Louise Fairley said...

So pretty, Aimeslee. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create. I hope we see you on the front porch again soon!

Hugs, Em
613 Avenue Create DT
Creative Em my blog
Creative Em on YouTube my Youtube channel

Bonnie Lynn said...

What a beautiful image! I can see why it reminds you of St Lucia. Beautiful coloring as well and I really love the delicate die cut stars you've added. Have a fabulous weekend my friend.

Stampin Expressions said...

Beautiful card! Your coloring is amazing, and this does look so much like St Lucia! Your friend will forever cherish this card! Thanks for joining the hand stamped sentiments challenge!

Lynda said...

Such a great use of the colours - very vibrant. That image really pops. Thank you for joining us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge xx Lynda/Loopyloo DT

My name is Erika. said...

When I read your title I was wondering how this color combo was going to work, but it does. I think using so much gold pulls it all together, and it's a very clever way to go. I hope you have a great rest of the week. hugs-Erika

Seafield Jo said...

A very beautiful, unusual Christmas card which I'm sure your friend will love.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Jo x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Very different Aimes, but you've certainly pulled it off with the colours working so well with each other. Hope Arfur isn't troubling you. xxx
faith.

Marjeta said...

Great caed. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments.

Arlene said...

Lovely card for your friend. Thank you for joining us at Die Cut Divas for the Any Holiday Challenge this month. Arlene

Lisa said...

Fabulous image. I really love the stary background behind her.

Deanne Saunders said...

Beautiful card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our CHRISTMAS CRAFTS ALL YEAR 'ROUND challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Donna Walls said...

Absolutely gorgeous image and coloring with pencils Aimes! I'm certain your friend will adore it. Thanks for joining us at The Inspiration Station Challenge.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

Jolanda Johnstone said...

The orange coloring gives this lovely card an ethereal glow. Very creatively conceived for the occasion of St. Lucia and the festival of Lights, Aimeslee. Thank you for joining us at HSS this round. Cheers, Jolanda - DT

Pia S said...

It sounds like you picked the perfect image for the intended receiver. I think it's one of the biggest advantages of making your own cards, the way you can personalize a card and not just having to choose one that is available in a store near you. Thanks for joining our challenge at Try it on Tuesday.

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Aimslee
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

Pauline C said...

Beautiful and whimsical card for Christmas in warm autumn shades - gives the card a real glow. Thanks so much for playing along with my theme of "Shades of Autumn" at Ellibelle's "I Spy With My Little Eye" challenge this month.
Pauline xx

Zw@@n said...

Lovely card, Aimeslee. I love your colouring. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It.xx Wilma

Toni said...

oh my goodness, I am really struck by the unusual colors for a holiday card--love it!

Jackie C said...

We are so delighted you chose to share your creation with us at Cut It Up!
Please do come back again!
All the best, Jackie DT xxx

Larelyn said...

Thank you for joining our Cut it Up "Layer it Up" challenge. Please join our newest challenge #291 "Friends and Family."
Hugs,
Larelyn (CIU owner)

Paper Scissors Glitter said...

Love the alternative colours you've used. Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations Jayne DT

Pia S said...

I'm back to say thanks for joining our challenge at Inkspirational as well:)

foleysfriend said...

What a unique Christmas card. Fabulous job of adding color to the image. It's so pretty. Great job of using non-traditional Christmas colors to make a Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Christmas Challenge.

sue n.

Suze said...

Lovely card Aimeslee. I like the orange and yellow combo (my two favourite colours). Thank you for entering the November Challenge at Path of Positivity.