Wednesday, September 6, 2023

The Unexamined Life

 Hello!
Hope all is well with you this fine Wednesday.
I have a digital creation to share today.
It took only 30 minutes from start to finish.
I printed it out on photo paper and I plan to frame it, because the quote is one of my favorites.
And a good dictum to live by.
MATERIALS USED:
In PSE, I created a 4x6" black background.
I layered the books background onto that.
I layered the magnifying glass .png onto that.
Then I chose a font and typed in the quote.
Done!
Since my twenties, my personal credo has been the Greek aphorism "Know Thyself."
The Socrates quote is one way to do that.
I was lucky to be a practicing accountant for 30 years, as it developed my ability to see both sides of something dispassionately. 

F. Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote: 
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold
two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and
still retain the ability to function.
One should, for example, be able to see that
things are hopeless yet be determined
to make them otherwise.”
 
When you turn this within, then you can see yourself more objectively and eventually you can love yourself for who you are and who you are not.
I could write a book on this subject, but I'll spare you, lol.
😎
Anyway, this was fun to do.
Thanks for the visit and enjoy your day!
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
Books

15 comments:

nwilliams6 said...

Dear Aimeslee,

So fun to see another accountant that loves to create (me too!). I feel like I wasn't ever really meant to have a left brain job but I ended up there and liked it. When I finally ended up in a right brain job I felt as if I should have always been there. I agree with everything you said and would love to read your book if you wrote one! Fab art you created and I know it will look wonderful when you frame it. Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

I agree. That is a great quote. I like how you put it in a magnifying glass and having it against those serious looking books. This is a great page for Elle's challenge at AJJ, and I'm glad you found time to join us. Thank you. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Aimeslee, love your beautiful journal page and the gorgeous quote, which really resonates with me. And thanks for linking to Elle's challenge! Being an accountant would not be my thing, I am not good at figures! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

ScrappyHorses said...

Definitely a very positive piece! Great quote and the background with the magnifying glass is perfect! Digital can be very fun; I've gotten into it a bit and enjoy the experience, also! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity. ~Katrina

Anita said...

For a quick creation, this looks so good, Aimeslee! I especially like how your choice of font works so well with the background of ancient tomes.

Deann said...

A beautiful card Aimeslee and I love the quote. Thanks for playing.

Lisa :) said...

such a cool card

Neet said...

That is a lovely page. I do like books and love to see a library in a stately home with its beautifully bound leather book jackets.
Your books look old and well loved, expensive in their day (and probably now too) and the addition of the magnifying glass gives it a touch of mystery - a bit like a Sherlock Holmes book case.
Hugs, neet xx

craftytrog said...

A great page and quote Aimeslee!
Hugs,
Alison

Carole J said...

I love your digital piece, Amy! The book shelf paper is fabulous and perfect for the quote inside the magnifying glass.
Thank you for sharing with us at the Path of Positivity. x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a remarkable journal page, Aimeslee. How clever to enlarge the quote using a magnifying glass. Not only is this a charming journal page, it is also perfect for Elle's theme at AJJ, too!

Rika said...

a pretty card.

Lisa said...

This is a great quote. I love the books.

Empire of the Cat said...

Very interesting post. I love how you used the magnifying glass too. Thanks for joining me for the Books, Cats & Tea September theme at Art Journal Journey this month Happy Journalling! Elle/Empire of the Cat xx

peggy gatto said...

Beautifully done!