Saturday, September 23, 2023

Life's Uncertain Voyage

Hello, hope everyone is dandy .
I'm still flaring and feel pretty awful, but a bit better.
This one's gonna take a while to get through.
😭
Today I have a 4x6 Piece of art based on the book, Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. (The link is to a pdf where it can be read for free if you want and haven't yet.)
I read it in school but re-read it recently. It's still not one of my faves, but this one scene is a nice passage in the novel and shows Holden exhibiting a little maturity.
 This is my depiction of the carrousel scene with Holden and his sister Phoebe.

I stenciled the background with Scattered Straw and Lost Shadow Distress Inks. Also did a little colored penciling on her coat to try to make it blue. I added the die cut top to the carrousel horse and the red and white swirl die cuts. The 3 diamond-y shapes at bottom right could be from a die or from a punch. They were leftover bits and bobs from another project. I used glitter gel pens and glitter markers also. I used colored pencils on the stenciled raindrops, then added some glaze pen and drops to each.

This is the digitally framed 4x6 card I printed out to begin with. I used pre-colored Free Dearie Dolls images and text I created in PSE.
I printed this out twice. Did the stenciling over the images. Then I fussy-cut the images from the second print and glued them on the first one.

The stencils I used.

The dies I used.

 
Detail shots to show the gel penning, glitter and shiny and foiled die cut card stock.

 
And last look, with the illustrated cover from the 1950's.
Funny because it's true: I'd already made my card before finding this cover, so mine is truly from my reading imagination, which is why Holden looks more nerdy as he was a prep school student, plus he's holding Phoebe's suitcase.
😊
Have a great weekend
and
Thanks for visiting.
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
BOOK
Book and dies used listed in above post
Carrousel
Scene in book takes place in NYC's Central Park
Pink and Sparkle
WDW Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Bottom row: Vintage / Masculine / Die cuts or Punches
 

30 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I don't think anyone has made a page based on an actual book yet this month. I'm glad to see someone thought to do that. :) You know I have never read Catcher in the Rye? None of my English teachers back in school assigned it, but plenty of other teachers at my high school did. So I don't know the scene but I'll take your word for it. Smile. I do love how you illustrated it. I have that same candy die too. Anyhow, this is a fun scene and I like how you made it. And it's perfect for Elle's challenge also, so thank you for joining us. I hope you feel better soon. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling so good and hope that you soon feel 'normal', whatever that might be. I love your piece, very pretty, and Catcher in the Rye was one of our set books at school in London - I liked it very much, and still have my very tatty copy here! Here it's really autumn, cold and windy, even with waves on the Rhine! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie
And thanks for joining us at AJJ!

Darlene said...

What a fun scene ... great job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our STENCIL FUN challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B

Diane said...

Wow, this is so creative and a perfect take on that book cover, you are so very creative...feel better soon!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at The Sisterhood!
Diane TSH DT
{Nellies Nest}
{The Sisterhood}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Rika said...

cute card!

Heather said...

What fabulous stencils - they look great here! Very fun theme for in the city, too - love it! Thanks so much for playing at Make My Monday!

Pamela said...

I like how you laid out each element to create your scene. A great piece of art!
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your page based on the Catcher in the Rye. We also did this book at school and I liked it. I still have my original copy but the cover is different to yours again. I love how you made your page, adding the stencilling and diecuts etc, good job! Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for joining me for the Books, Cats & Tea September theme at Art Journal Journey this month. Happy Journalling! Elle xx

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!! What a fabulous idea.

Happy Sunday
My Sunday Smiles linky is HERE
Much🖤love

Betta said...


This card is really cute, Aimeslee!!!
Thanks for stopping by A Place To Start !
Hugz, Bettascrap DT

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely piece of art based on the book,
hope you soon feel better, flare ups are not good, I have been having more recently
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Aimeslee,I have heard loads about this book but have never read it.might have to rectify that! I love your card with the cute images,stencilled background and step by step too=hope you feel better soon.
Carol x
-Thank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles
Carol DT x

My name is Erika. said...

I was so excited to see you linking up to AJJ that I forgot to say thanks for joining us at TIOT also. Hugs-Erika

Sue said...

This is fabulous! and thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Calendar x

Alyson Mayo said...

Great depiction of the book - the stencils add so much!

Vickie Y said...

Adorable! Thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters.

Billie A said...

Cute card. Fun day for a fair ride. thanks for sharing over at make my monday

Heather said...

I have never read "Catcher in the Rye", so I don't know about your scene. But what I do know is that you created a fabulous scene of your own! Love the stenciled cobblestones; such a great touch! And to think you did it from that preprinted image!! That took some creative work! Thanks for playing with Cut It Up Challenge.

Pat said...

Beautiful piece of art work, love all the colours and embellishments, thanks for joining in our challenge at Fab'n'Funky.

Pat xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Sorry to read you are still not in good health and Arfur is hanging around, I hope he leaves with all his things soon. Your take on the book is so clever Aimes, beautifully done and then to see the book with a similar theme, spooky! But VERY clever. I've not read the book, at least if I have it wasn't one that stayed in my mind. Keep well.
Faith x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am sorry to read you are flaring. I hope you can take it easy and things get better soon.

I have never read Catcher jn the Rye, so I'm not familiar with the scene. However, I like how you used a carousel horse, almost as awesome as a rocking horse (grin). Thank you so very much for sharing this fun entry from a real book with us using Elle's theme at AJJ.

Carol said...

I have not read 'Catcher in the Rye ' either. But I love what you have done.
I am sorry that the arthurs are still so painful. Not so bad here but other things instead.
Hugs
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus Dt

Bonnie Lynn said...

I love it!! Love your stenciling and the glitter gel pens/markers you used.

Maria Valente said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Thank you for sharing at Penny's Challenges.
Hugs

Jocelyn said...

A great interpretation and remarkable how your idea of the scene is like the book cover. I've never read this book but perhaps now I should. I hope you are soon feeling better. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Meggymay said...

A fantastic card and take on the circles theme at TioT's. Thank you for sharing your card Aimeslee.
Yvonne

Helen said...

Great project and idea - love it!

Thanks for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.

Helen x
DT

Lisa said...

These are great images and your stencils are perfect to help fill in the card too.

Chana Malkah said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana

Larelyn said...

Wow, Aimeslee, so many amazing techniques and crafty supplies used for the delightful project. Thanks for joining our Cut it Up "Inspired by a Book/Song" challenge.
Hugs,
Larelyn (CIU owner)