Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Sunflowers and Butterflies

 Hello. Hope everyone is safe and well.
A little something different from me today.
I learned a new paper technique just by stumbling across a kit I'd bought a few years back and had never used.
Count me Today-Years-Old when it comes to layered decoupage, so imagine my surprise when I discovered I had a kit! LOL, I bought it because I thought the papers were pretty and liked the punch-out die cuts too. Never paid any attention to the little codes next to some of the cut-outs (A1-5). So when I saw this looking for something else, I pulled it out and noticed, then figured it out. I'll have to read up on if people layer with dimensional tape or just glue (like I did...I have to mail the vast majority of my cards). Anyway, I made it work for me.
 
Finding a layout for my card design was more tough than usual. I ended up going with this sketch but had to resize it to 6x6.
I cut a base out of dark red Bazzill card stock. I added the yellow checked paper from the kit to the front and back. I found some dark blue SU card scraps in my stash and cut image mats and photo corners (QK die). And I used a Martha Stewart punch for the white butterflies. Everything else is from the kit. The sunflowers and teacups are layered. I'm not sure how much shows up in the photos, but it gives a nice dimension and interest in real life.
 
Inside the card, I used some yellow paper to stamp sentiments with Memento ink.
And on back I added a siggie from the kit, two of the larger punched butterflies and a tiny heart from my stash.
Last look. If I can ever get faster and better at choosing a layout and complementary elements with this paper technique, I could see becoming addicted to the layering. This is a big collection, which provides good practice, lol. I also have another collection by Craft Consortium who calls it 3D Decoupage. 
I am reminded that this is an excellent example of why, when Honey ribs me for having so much art stuff and I can't possibly get to it all, I quote Ecclesiastes 3:1-8: 
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
LOL, I'll get to it, Honey. Might take years, but hey...
😎
Thanks for the visit and enjoy your day.
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
The photo's flowers and butterflies inspired me
Butterflies

20 comments:

Cardsbymaaike said...

Nice and summery looking card. Thank you for playing at the Anything Goes challenge...we hope to see you again tomorrow at the AAA Birthday Card Challenges for our september challenge

cheiro urgia said...

What a wonderful kitchen/food inspired card, I like the blue and yellow colour combo you used for your creation. Also, I'm fascinated by the amount of different pieces that you put together so nicely - it must have taken an awful lot of patience, especially since you covered every side of your card. The combination of kitchen utensils and flowers is lovely, and the checkered background gives a wonderful vintage touch. I've never used the technique of layered decoupage, but it sounds like great fun to me. Thanks for joining the Alphabet challenge.

Hugs, Veronika

Alyson Mayo said...

Terrific collection of images - love the yellow checked background :)

Johanna said...

You have created a beauty using the newly found kit. I really like the layout you did and adding a bit of dimension to your sunflowers made them stand out. Lovely butterflies to complete the card. I had to chuckle as in a recent house move I had to pack up my craft room. Then I had to wait until my new craft room was ready. Unpacking was hilarious as I found all sorts of items I had forgotten I owned. Thanks for joining us at Cardz4galz, Johanna DT

wienerhoneymooners said...

So perfect for the Double D- as well as thank you so much for linking up to the gallery at the Krafty Chicks ANYTHING GOES challenge this week!!!
-HUGS
-Kimberly Wiener

Dena J said...

A very fun discovery and this looks like a marvelous kit to play with. Your 6x6 card is beautiful and I really like the colors your selected. Thank you so much for joining the challenge at Allsorts and using the butterfly option as well.

Becca S said...

You've done it again, Aimeslee!!! You've come up with something I haven't seen before (these particular images/kit)!!! And the combination of kitchen and sunflowers is just perfect for a country farmhouse vintage vibe!! Love it! Thanks for sharing at FQGS! --Becca

brenda said...

A bright and sunny card with the Sunflowers and Butterflies, many thanks for sharing another with us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Beautifully done, love the colours and rustic charm that the images have. Thank you for joining in our challenge at Allsorts this week.
Lorraine

Bonnie Lynn said...

Beautiful! I've never heard of paper decoupage before. I wonder if it's like paper tole. Hmmmmm I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the inspiration today.

Lisa said...

Very lovely imagery on this card. Great layout too.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Thud. Stopped in my tracks for this is a very beautiful card. Those rich colours and Sunflowers had me at hello. I'm glad you discovered your kit.

My name is Erika. said...

Sunflowers are a lovely way to end August and start September. These are great images. Isn't it interesting how you can find "old" things and still learn from them? Happy weekend Aimeslee. hugs-Erika

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Aimes, this is gorgeous, what wonderful images, and design, love the gingham background, a sunny happy card. What a happy find!
Faith x

Diane said...

I love 6x6 cards so many pretty details and kudos to you for using something you had in your stash for awhile, we can all take inspiration from that!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D and Triple B!
Diane DD and TB Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Double D}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Lynda said...

A fabulously layered and colourful card. Love the addition of the butterflies in white. Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz xx Lynda/Loopyloo DT

Donna Phelan said...

Sometimes it's fun to shop our own long forgotten supplies lol This is FAB! You made the Sketch look beautiful! Love the colors and prints of the papers! Great find! I adore dimension and layering, like crazy! I use a lot of foam tape and squares. I also have to go to the PO a lot to have them stamped 'non-machinable' it's a curse lol Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Double D, Sunflowers Challenge. Donna, DT Member.

Donna Walls said...

You're so cute Aimes, this technique is super popular in the UK. Your card is so pretty, Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Station Challenge, we hope to see more of your lovely designs soon.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

Deekshita Jaideep said...

Beautiful Card Aimes !! I love how you utilized your collection and played it with different techniques :) Thank you for playing at the AAA Birthday Card Challenges - Deekshita (Papiershades) Hope to see you play in future challenges

Катерина Pioniya said...

Interesting project! Love your details!
Thank you for joining us at AAA Birthday Card Challenge - Pioniya, DT