Monday, August 14, 2023

Singing Angel

 Happy Monday, hope this is a good week for us all.
Well, for us it's supposed to be a busy one. Our generator install is scheduled to begin tomorrow, fingers crossed it happens and goes well. They say we'll only be without electricity for 2 hours. And Honey went and bought a new upright deep freeze Friday. It's being delivered today and they're hauling the old one off. We got a bit nostalgic about it, remembering when we bought it in 1995. It still works, too. It's just not frost-free and Honey's tired of having to defrost it. Does anyone in America remember Montgomery Wards (aka affectionately called Monkey Wards)? That's where we bought it. We bought almost everything there back in our early married years, from major appliances to furniture to automobile tires. It was a great store and I still miss it to this day. Anyway, the freezer is the last of our Wards stuff, except for some dining table chairs I can't part with. 
So, I had this angel baby in my stash. I think I got it a long time ago in a RAK. It's really a gift tag (I covered up the hole with a die cut bow). And it's 7 inches tall so I had to make an A9 size card for her. I will send this to my great niece, who is in 1st grade and sings in her church's children's choir.
 
I chose this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design.
Okay, the designer papers are scraps I grabbed when I saw they went with the angel's colors, but I am guessing they are Creative Imaginations. All of the card stocks were scraps as well. I stamped the Sweet N Sassy sentiment with Olympia Versafine ink, die cut it with a Spellbinders Labels 4 die and then colored the embossed rim with a green colored pencil before adhering it to the green strip. I added 8 stars too. As an afterthought I stamped the tiny musical notes (Inkadinkado). All paper edges are outlined with a green Promarker.
 
Stamplorations sentiment inside and more scrap paper on the back, along with my siggie.
 
I took these shots to hopefully show the grooves of the dry-embossed layer. I used a Darice Stripes embossing folder and it cracked the paper in several spots. I had to cover the back with Scor-Tape to keep it from tearing apart and couldn't get it layered straight onto the blue SU card stock mat, so I just decided to "wonk" that layer (intentionally make it crooked). I think it adds interest! 
Final view. She's an adorable little angel, isn't she?
I just know my great niece will love her.
Take care and thanks for the visit.
XOX

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:

18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your sweet angel card, I'm sure any little girl - and some big ones - would be happy to receive it.
But the best news is that the work on th gerator is due to begin, and I hope, from then an, you you won't feel so bad from the heat. And a new freezer, great!
I have 2 dinng chairs which I bought very cheaply years ago, and although tey are now shabby, I don't want to part with them! Have a great da, I'm off for a nap. Hugs, Valerie

JulieP said...

I most definitely remember Monkey Wards. lol! Loving your adorable angel. Thanks so much for joining us once again at the HLS Christmas challenge.

Melanie Hungerford said...

Such a sweet and wonderful Christmas angel, really love the papers behind her too! Great Christmas card, thanks for joining us at Krafty Chicks!

Bonnie Lynn said...

I SO remember Monkey Wards!! Used to get some good stuff there although we don't have anything left from those purchases. Monkey Wards stuff was built to last too. Love how you reused that cute angel. It's so sweet and the bow is the perfect way to hide a hole. Good luck with the install.

Gillena Cox said...

Cute angel card.
Hope you have a nice week

Sunday Smiles
HERE

Monday WRites is HERE

Much💖love

Alyson Mayo said...

What a sweet little angel - love the bold pink gown! Thanks for sharing with us at both HLS Christmas and MTTCC :)

My name is Erika. said...

I remember MOntgomery Ward. Like Sears. WE bought our appliances there when we were more youthful than we are now-smile. And those old appliances lasted forever, didn't they? Now you're lucky if you get 5 years from appliances. It's sad, because they end up in landfills and cost a lot of cash.

Your angel is very retro too. And I love her. She reminds me of when I was a child and my parents had these little glass angels. They looked similar. To your angel. Thanks for sharing with us at TIOT.
And good luck-I hope the installs go fast with no issues. hugs-Erika

Diane said...

It's an absolutely adorably cute and very colorfully pretty angel!! We had a Wards here in Niles, we bought our first fridge there, it was gold in color and also bought my first sewing machine there, I miss those old stores!! It was a two level store with wood floors and right around the corner form it was a JcPenney!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace On Earth!
Diane POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

craftytrog said...

Such a sweet angel! Your great niece will love her card Aimeslee.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Love that little angel, a beautiful card as always, Aimes. You say she is 7 inches tall, but you made an A9 card, I looked up and A9 size card it says it's 1,5 inches x 2 inches? I'm confused! Nothing strange there.
Hope all is well
Faith x

Joan said...

An adorable little Angel and such a pretty card

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday Challenge

Joan

Judy Woodland said...

Good old Montgomery Ward's. Boy THAT sure takes me back!!! Your card is so adorable with your sweet little angel. Lots of wonderful work here, thanks for playing along with us over at Can You Handle the Pressure. Hope we see you back here again soon!!
Judy~ CYHTP DT Designer

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in at The Most Magical Time of the Year. DT - Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat.
https://mostmagicaltimeoftheyear.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness this image is so super sweet and perfect for your niece. That layout works very well with this image too.

Deanne Saunders said...

Sweet card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our CHRISTMAS CRAFTS ALL YEAR ROUND challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Becca S said...

We love angel cards at TFATU!! Thanks for linking up! I love the vintage look of the angel image, making think back to childhood decoration images in the 60s!!! :) --Becca/TFATU

Pia S said...

How ssweet she is! And she's perfect for a young girl singing in a choir. Pretty colors and great color coordination. Thanks for joining our challenge at Try it on Tuesday!

Gale said...

She is such a sweet angel Aimeslee! Beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with us over here at Pearly Sparkles Challenge and best of luck with your entry. Love to see you join in each month. Thank you.
Gale DT for
http://pearlysparkleschallenge.blogspot.com/