Thursday, August 17, 2023

Duck Hunter Birthday Card

 Hello, Happy Thursday!
I was up at dawn yesterday because we had some dry A.M. air that made it feel so good outside. By noon it was heating back up, but I totally enjoyed it while it lasted! This morning's been a bit nicer than usual as well. Still blazing hot, though. We have a 20-40% chance of rain next mid-week due to a fast-moving disturbance in the Gulf heading towards us (allegedly), so fingers crossed and hands up in prayer for rain! Also hoping that the West Coast doesn't get damaged by Hurricane Hilary. Hard to believe but that's El Nino for you.
🙏💧🙏
I have a brother-in-law who is an avid duck hunter and guide, so I made ducks the theme of his birthday card. I framed this Pattie's Creations Mallards digital image in PSE and printed it out on white card to color with my colored pencils (and this time I played with a colorless alcohol blender here and there). I added some glitter penning to the cattails and some brush marker glitter to the water after pencil-coloring.
 
I used this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my A2 layout design.
The card base is SU. I found the black and green layers in my scrap stash. Both are textured and the black card is a type of animal skin look. The green layer was dry-embossed using a Cuttlebug Bird Call embossing folder. I edge-distressed both layers. I added 2 little Karen Foster bulls-eye stickers for the elements on the focal image's side. I stamped a My Favorite Things sentiment in Versamark ink and heat-embossed it with white powder, then die cut it with an MFT label die, popping it up on the card with some foam tape.
 
Inside the card, I created and framed the sentiment in PSE and printed out on white card.
On the back are more scraps from my stash and a stamped and punched siggie.
A close-up to show the colored pencil coloring and the furry glitter penning on the cattails and on the water.
And final view. A simple card with a few little extra touches, but still masculine. 
Thanks for visiting and have a great day.
XOX

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
Used Cuttlebug A2 Bird Call embossing folder
Blue and Green
Hunting

31 comments:

Liz said...

Beautiful card, which sounds like it’s perfect for your brother-in-law. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week and choosing to use the All Creatures Great and Small option.
Liz xx

*Vicki* said...

Such a cute card with the geese! I love the sparkly water you gave them too!

craftytrog said...

Great card Aimeslee, I love the mallards.
Hope you get that rain!
Hugs,
Alison

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Beautiful card and colouring with your pencils, thanks for joining us at We Love Stamping!

My name is Erika. said...

Hurrah for any little bit of better weather. Even a few hours must give you hope. And maybe next time it will be a few hours more. (As long as you don't have to wait weeks for that, right?) I love those blue and green colors you used. It's so bright, but there's just enough dark to make the image not be overwhelming. Have a great end of the week. hugs-Erika

brenda said...

Sounds like the perfect Duck card for your BIL, many thanks for joining us again at Allsorts, Stamping Sensations and We Love Stamping challenges.

B x

Cardsbymaaike said...

Very pretty or handsome card for a hunter for sure. Thank you for playing at the AAA Birthday Cards Challenges

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat x
https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

Chris said...

A super masculine card, the duck stamp is beautiful, lovely colour choice and design. Thank you for sharing at Stamping Sensations this month.
Chris
x

Ellibelle said...

A great masculine card Aimeslee, loving the colors and embossing looks fantastic! Thanks so much for playing along at I spy with my little eye and so great to see you at Allsorts challenge, too!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a gorgeous card. We have lots of ducks and geese here, sometimes too many! Here it's heating up again, not my fave thing, I prefer it cool. We have no A/C and my electric fan has evidently died of over work. Oh well, it is as it is! Hugs, Valerie

HilaryJane said...

A brilliant masculine card and such lovely colouring too. I am not sure how I feel to learn that a Hurricane has been given my name. I hope she passes by without incident and that you get some much needed rain xx

HilaryJane said...

Forgot to say, thanks for sharing your lovely card with us at we love stamping and for joining in the optional theme xx

Carol said...

That green is quite something and I like the distressed edges.
Many many years ago - when we were still a couple - my husband and I used to come to the States on business. I seem to remember that on one visit he was invited to go Duck Hunting and I was invited to go Antique Hunting. I know which I preferred.
Hugs
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Alyson Mayo said...

What a terrific scene with the embossed background - perfect for a duck hunter :)

Becca S said...

You've created a delightful duck card!!! It's Ducky!! The little bulls eye targets are a great accent for masculine hunting themed projects! Good idea! Thanks for including FQGS in your link-ups! --Becca

Lisa said...

What a great image and a fantastic card for any guy. Your coloring is perfect and I love the layout too.

Pamela said...

Your embossing folder is perfect for the image and I'm sure he enjoyed his card.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Diane said...

Fabulous masculine card, a great design!! It is to heat up this week in Michigan, it gets so humid here!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Triple B, Can You Handle The Pressure and The Sisterhood!
Diane TB CYHTP Co-Owner and TSH DT
{Nellies Nest}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Linby said...

A wonderful scene and just the perfect embossing folder too. Thanks for sharing with us at We Love Stamping.

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely male card, a lovely scene with the ducks
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Jocelyn said...

I like the images of ducks you have used and the colours are great. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Darline Maes said...

Heel mooie kaart, bedankt om mee te doen, groetjes Darline

Darlene said...

OH WOW what an awesome card! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Can You Handle the Pressure, Triple B and The Sisterhood of Crafters challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B

Pauline C said...

Beautiful masculine card with gorgeous colouring on your duck images. Thanks so much for joining in with Ellie's "I Spy" challenge theme of "Something For Boys or Men"
Pauline xx

Pattie G said...

This is so nice. I love how you colored my image. It goes perfectly with our theme “Anything Goes” at Pattie’s Creations Design Challenge.
Pattie
Artist & Owner

kel Acopan said...

Love the image you chose! Thanks so much for joining us at The FarmQuest General Store!

lovies, =o) kel
FQGS DT

Donna Walls said...

Great image and card Aimes! I love to see Pencil coloring and I'm certain your BIL loved his card. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us at The Paper Funday Challenge.
Donna xx
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

Judy McKay said...

Lovely birthday card. Nicely designed, Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this month. Judy DT
https://avenue613.blogspot.com/

Crea Astrid said...

Een mooie kaart heb je gemaakt met een schattige toepasselijke digi, die je hebt uitgekozen voor je zwager. Leuk gedaan ook het geëmboste gras op de achtergrond.
Gezellig dat je meedoet met de Challenge van Kleuren met potloden.

Lieve groetjes, Astrid.

Ginny said...

Great card design. So glad you're joining us in this Star Stampz Challenge. All the best!
--- DT Gina Ang ---
Star Stampz Challenge #49 - Use Your Favourite Colour Combination