Sunday, October 23, 2022

Trick or Treat OWL-oween

Hello and happy weekend wishes to all. I think this is my last Halloween card before the big day. My fingers improved enough for me to address and mail the cards I've made, but now they are sore again. Along with an eye infection, between the gel and the drops, warm compresses and washes, it's hard to see clearly, lol. I'm a hot mess. 
😏😏😏
I am again using a pre-colored digi image by The Paper Shelter, this one is called Halloween Night. The little owl is adorable and his eyes follow you at every angle (spooky cute). When I saw this in my files, I immediately thought of playing off of the image's tree branches and jack o'lantern with die cuts I have. I also wanted to use one of my new Spellbinders A9 embossing folders.
SUPPLIES USED:
White A9 card base and mats
Black Color Mates card mats, embossed on front with Spellbinders Dazzling Dots A9 folder
DCWV 12x12 designer paper
Brilliance Dewdrops inks (copper, white, silver, lavender) used on embossed surface direct to paper
The Paper Shelter pre-colored digital image Halloween Night
Crafty Secrets sentiment stamped with Nocturne Versafine Clair ink
Quickutz bats dies, cut with black scrap card
Art Impressions Jack o'lantern mini dies, cut with yellow and orange scrap card
Cheery Lynn Twisted Tree die, cut with brown scrap card; bat and crow cut with black scrap card
Sizzix Over the Edge Twigs die, cut with brown scrap card
Wavy and Zigzag Deco Scissors
 
I chose this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design, resizing it to A9 in PSE.
I was so pleased with how the direct-to-paper inking of the embossed background turned out. Since I used Brilliance inks, it has a pearlescent shine. I discovered Spellbinders A9 embossing folders on Amazon after a dear friend sent me one she didn't want. Now I just need to remember to use them! I had fun using my new Cheery Lynn tree die that came with a crow and hanging bat. I love how the trunk/bark is embossed. I also had fun using my Wavy deco scissors to cut the focal image and white mat, and my Zigzag scissors to cut the striped designer paper strips. The white zigzag edging strips are some old 12x12 scrapbooking border strips that are already cut that way.
Inside, scraps of brown card and the DCWV designer paper, with a Spellbinders label die cut out of a green scrap and stamped with a sentiment (cannot remember who made).
On back, a black card mat and more of the DCWV paper, with a scrap of brown card and a stamped and punched siggie.
 
I took some close-ups to show all the die cuts and the embossed background.
And a final look. I'm kinda sad to be finished with Halloween, especially with so many challenge themes asking for that right now. But it's time to work on family Thanksgiving cards as soon as I can see and use my fingers. It's just so frustrating to have all of these little ailments, but it keeps life interesting, I suppose.
😁
And it's my weekly post for Rain's Art & Dinner Date. Her art theme is Haunted Houses and my card image has one. 
And for the food share, since we had a cool front, that means we had soup! Spicy taco soup this time. There is no formal written-down recipe that we use. We cook ground beef with chopped onion, bell pepper and a taco seasoning packet that contains the Holy Mexican Trinity of spices (cumin, garlic and black pepper). Drain and add to a pot with cans of beans, corn, tomatoes, beef broth and water. Honey adds various other spices as it's simmering and he's quite closed-mouth about what they are! 😏
We always fix a small skillet of cornbread to eat with our soups.
Honey had brought home a sack of masa from the grocery store because he wanted to try to make some corn tortillas. 
He fried them in the cast iron skillet and while they tasted oh-so-delish (much better than purchased ones), they were a bit chunky in spots. These were left for me, so I sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar and heated them back up for dessert! 
Honey has since gone back to HEB (our grocery store) and purchased a 10-pound cast iron tortilla press for half the price as on Amazon, so stay tuned! LOL 
 
 I thank you for visiting and for your patience through all these photos. 
Have a good one!
XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
I used TPS pre-colored image Halloween Night
I used an A9 folder Dazzling Dots from Spellbinders on base mat
Owl with bats and crow
Bat wings, Owl wings

29 comments:

Darlene said...

Yes, that embossed background turned out GREAT! Love the image and in fact, love your overall design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Can You Handle the Pressure challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!

Darlene
Can You Handle the Pressure
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Kelley said...

Super cute card! Especially love the tree! For a "hot mess" you do amazing work LOL! Thanks for joining us at Paper Dragonfly Creative Challenges! ~Kelley

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Ain't nuffin easy with you Aimes, but the result is always amazing. I love the embossing and ink, the bats, trees, pumpkins, paper and of course the adorable image in its little arched shape. All so suited to each other and brilliant. You is clever and an artistic Gal. I hope your poor hands let you do what you want soon, if it's Arfur tell him to get lost! Eyes, I think they may be telling you to take a rest?
Take care.
Hugs
Faith x

Pamela said...

such a wonderful detail halloween card that you've created for our challenge here at C4Galz, Someone will be very lucky to get this card!

Cards by Jane said...

I love the sketch that you used to create this seasonal card. Thank you for sharing with TTCRD.

My name is Erika. said...

I hope your eye infection is better. Those are not fun. And I like your Halloween card.It's cute in the middle and a little bit spooky on the edges, so put those together and you have a great card.Thanks for linking up to TIOT. And your cornbread and tortillas look great. I love cornbread, and I've only made tortillas once years and years ago. I want to try them again sometime because I remember how good they tasted. Let us know how the press works. Have a great new week. hugs-Erika

Sylvia kaarten en zo. said...

Beautiful Halloween card. Greetings Sylvia DT Penny's Paper Crafty.

Becca Sadler said...

Aimeslee: What a terrific Halloween scene!!! Wonderfully made! I enjoyed reading and seeing pics of your Spicy Taco Soup, cornbread, and homemade corn tortillas! Warm comfort food! Thanks for participating at MTTC's wings theme! --Becca/DT

Jana Forrest said...

Oh Aimeslee. Sosorry to hear of your ailments. I hope you recover very quickly! Love your card. All the details are fabulous. Thank you for sharing over at Penny's Challenge. Best of luck, DT~Jana Forrest

Lia said...

So much to see on your lovely Halloweencard! You have created a great scene and used a very nice embossingfolder!
Lia DT CYHTP

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

If this is what you can do with sore hands and not being able to see properly, I can't wait to see what you come up with when you're all better! This card is absolutely fantastic inside and out. I love all the details you added to that precolored image to get the tone and feel of the night just perfect.

Get well soon, and thanks for sharing your card with us at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
https://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com/

creationsnz said...

Great use of all the extras to support your image and make a great scene. So glad you shared with us at Critter Crazy, CarolG

ahlers5 said...

Great Halloween card. I love the cornbread. I have made flor tortillas, but have never tried making corn tortillas. Maybe I'll try soon.

Rain said...

TORTILLA PRESS!!!! I love it! ☺☺ I'm jealous too lol! The soup and corn bread looks just delicious!!! Your card is so adorably gorgeous. I love that little owl, great work! ☺☺♥

Maria Valente said...

So cute! Thank you for playing along at Penny's Challenges.
Hugs

MeSi said...

Great card! Thank you for sharing at The Paper Shelter challenge. Good luck!

Merja DT

Donna Walls said...

Bless your heart Aimeslee, you are struggling but I hope things get better for you soon. In the meantime, you've created a gorgeous card and the food looks delicious! Thanks for playing along with us at The Paper Funday Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your lovely designs.
Donna xx
The Paper Funday Challenge
The Inspiration Station Challenge

Christine said...

Nice art, the cornbread looks delicious!

Alyson Mayo said...

That's a terrific background with the embossing folder (I have the same pattern in both a foil plate and a stencil and I love them!) Great way to incorporate the image :)

Joan said...

Such a cute card, love the owl witch !

Thanks for joining in at Try It On Tuesday challenge

Debbie said...

Cute! I love the dry embossing!
Thanks for playing along at Cardz 4 Galz
Debbie - C4G DT
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Bonnie Lynn said...

I absolutely LOVE your spooky card. Sure do hope that eye infection clears up soon for you. Taco soup does sound really good. Think I'm going to tell my hubby about it. He loves to cook.

Jenny L said...

Hi Aimeslee,
another fabulous make and the design looks stunning for Halloween.
Love the image and ll the wonderful elements used.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Fab card Thank you for sharing over at 613
Elaine DT

Mrs.B said...

A great Halloween card Aimeslee, an eye infection doesn't sound nice - hope it's cleared up.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sorry to be so late seeing this - I seem to be behind with everything. I hope that by now your eye infection has cleared up. I love the fun card - thank you for sharing at Try It On Tuesday! I suspect soup may be a little hot for me but corn tacos sound interesting. Hugs, Chrisx

Catie Cuddles said...

Food looks delicious and love the card.
Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnuts patterned paper challenge.
Happy crafting!
Catherine x DT

valscraftings said...

Spooktacular trick or treat scene!
Thank you for joining us at Paper Dragonfly Creative Challenge! Val DT
https://paperdragonflycreativechallenges.blogspot.com/

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Super toffe kaart. Helemaal leuk. Leuk dat je meedoet met onze challenge bij Creative Sketchy Girls.
Great card, love it. Thanks for joining us at Creative Sketchy Girls.

XX
Claudia

DT Creative Sketchy Girls

Je kan mij nu ook vinden op You tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlT4Rs1DfAZU_GLcM7Kx1g
https://claudiaskaartjes.blogspot.com/
http://creativesketchygirls.blogspot.be
http://girlzrebelchallenge.blogspot.com
https://girlzcreativecrafts.blogspot.com