Sunday, July 31, 2022

Open the Door for Your Mystery Date

 Hello there! Hope everyone is well and ready to visit Memory Lane with me. If you are too young or otherwise never played Mystery Date as a child, then watch this TV ad to see the game being played.
July's Art Journal Journey theme is Doors/Arches. So I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to document one of my favorite Milton Bradley board games from my girlhood. My blog post title uses the catch phrase of the game's advertising. 
This spread was created in my Wake Me When It's Over art journal that contains many of my memories from my younger years. It was salvaged from dear daughter's pile of unused/barely used diaries and student planners that she didn't take with her when she left home. This wire bound planner had hardback covers and nice thick pages that took gesso well, so it's been a great place for mixed media pages.
Back to this spread: I began with a gessoed and acrylic-painted background of orange, pink and purple swirls that reminded me of the 60's.
Here's a close-up of the inside edges where you can see an orange acrylic undercoat. This is the only way you can really tell there's any orange in there.
So the first thing I did was lay out a mock-up before adhering anything and I thought it just looked too plain.
Washi tapes to the rescue!
Left hand detail shot: I used Lawn Fawn's Quinn's ABCs and 123s dies cut out of white card to make my title. I found photos of the original game and players on the internet and printed them out.
Right hand detail shot: I cut the Spellbinder heart and scalloped heart dies out of paper scraps for my journaling spots. I added here and there little card stock phrases and stickers from my very very old scrapbooking embellie stash. Once I started doing that, I really got into it. So I channeled my inner preteen and layered them on. I felt like I was in school decorating my textbook covers again! 😁



Close-ups of my hand-written journaling in the hearts, along with the Eugene O'Neill quote.
This got me thinking back to the other board games I loved, and in no particular order, I remembered my very first game Candyland, and also Mousetrap, Barrel of Monkeys, Pick Up Sticks, Operation, Twister and Ouija. Then, when I got a bit older and could use my brain for strategy, there was Checkers, Scrabble, Yahtzee, Aggravation, Sorry, Monopoly, Clue and Battleship. Wow, that's a lot. Maybe that's why I'm not really into board games anymore. I'm all gamed out! 😃
And final view. 
I'm happy to get this memory documented and another spread in this journal done.
Thanks for the visit and stay safe and cool! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
Playing Board Games

18 comments:

WendyK said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely page with us for my theme on Art Journal Journey.

My name is Erika. said...

Oh this page is so special Aimeslee. Not only does it work perfect for Wendy's Door and/or Arches challenge at AJJ,(thank you for joining us there and at TIOT too), but I also received this game for Christmas when I was maybe 7 or 8 from my uncle, and I loved playing it. I know it would be really politically incorrect now to make this game, but I wish I had still had mine. Where did you find the images? And I think we had the same games too. Monopoly was never really my type of game in the long run, even though I played it a lot. I bought my daughter a fun Harry Potter version of Clue for her 30th birthday last fall, and I still enjoyed that game. Thanks for sharing this and sending me on a nice memory lane journey. Hugs-Erika

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Oh Aimeslee what fun this journal page is, a wonderful piece of memory documentation. I'd never heard of the game but watched the video and agree it must have been quite something as a young girl. Now the question is.. do you still have the board game..?
I Love everything about this extremely well though out journal spread.
Many thanks for sharing @ Creative Artiste.
Wishing you all the best in the challenge Creative wishes Tracey (DT)

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's a fabulous page for Wendy's AJJ theme Aimeslee! Not a programme I know but it looks fun! Hugs, Chrisx

Andree said...

A wonderfully eye-catching background and so many super details make this a fabulous journal spread.
Thank you for joining in with our July challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WELL! You've outdone yourself again Aimes, what fabulous work. So clever too with all the details and the theme. As for games, we didn't play games when we were children, it was outside things and reading books.
A wonderful tale. Thanks.
Faith x

Pat said...

Beautiful journal page, great embellishments, thanks for playing along with us at Fab’n’Funky.

Pat xx

Angela said...

Oh how much fun was that! Looks great. Thanks for joining us at Arty Divas this month. Angela (DT) xoxo

craftytrog said...

Such a fun spread! I love it!

NPurdum56 said...

What great journal pages! Thanks for joining us at Di's Digi Challenge! We hope you join us again in the future! Nancee, DT

Maria Luisa- scrap said...

Hermosa la pagina!!
Gracias por unirte a The Corrosive Challenge (DT)

Wendy said...

Fabulous page.. Thanks for playing along with us at Di’s Digi Challenge:)
Wendy xx

Francesca said...

Very nice journal page! Thank you for playing at Dragonfly Dreams Challenge!

Chana Malkah said...

Fun pages! Thanks for a wonderful submission to our challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Helen said...

Fabulous art journal collage! LOVE all your journaling and elements! Thanks for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! ((HUGS)) Helen

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Such a nice trip down memory lane for you. I particularly love your journal spreads (haven't seen any sample pieces you used to make--were they index cards?) The colours you used on your daughter's forgotten pages looks stunning.

Joan said...

Great journal page with lots of memories for you. I don't know the game but sounds like it was fun

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday Challenge

The Papercrafting Pixie said...

What a lovely way to record special memories. Thank you for taking part in this month's We Love to Create blog challenge. Gabrielle, Polkadoodles DT.