Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Afternoon Tea for Your Birthday

 Hello, here I am again! I hope everyone is well and enjoying their week. We're feeling somewhat better and our weather's been great, so can't complain all that much. Plus, we had steak last night! ๐Ÿ˜‹
Today's card is for my sweet mother-in-law who turns 92 years young later this month. I have used a Gecko Galz collage sheet image of the woman having afternoon tea and a Gecko Galz digital stamp of the two-tier stand of sweets (links are down below in my challenge playlist). I colored the stand and sweets with Promarkers and Sakura metallic glitter gel pen. I glazed the jellies and berries with Nuvo clear glaze.
For my design layout, I used Splitcoaststamper Sketch SC427, resizing to 6x6" in PSE. 
My card base was cut from a 12x12" sheet of white Bazill Textured Shimmer card and my mats were cut from a blue shade of the same Bazill. The designer paper I used is from the 12x12" Best of K & Company papers pad. The Avery Elle and Verve sentiments were stamped with Versafine Majestic Blue ink. I used flowers, berry stems, flatback pearls and bling from my Black Hole of Stash. 
For the inside, more of the K&Co papers and Hero Arts sentiments stamped with the Versamark.
The papered back of the card has a Technique Tuesday siggie stamped in Versamark inks.
A close-up of the woman perusing the tasty sweets. This is a Harrison Fisher watercolor illustration from 1925 called Afternoon Tea. I tried to color the tiered stand to replicate a favorite of mine, Delphite milk glass, which would have been a new hot thing among the upper class taking "Afternoon Tea" in the mid-1920's. Milk glass was manufactured en masse a decade later during the Depression, as it is "imperfect" (milky-looking) batches of stained glass and therefore were marketed as a more affordable option for the masses.  As for the desserts, I'm not entirely certain that I have colored them accurately at all. I saw meringue tops and strawberries and jam in the cookie centers (for my UK friends, are those scones?). Anyway, for better or worse they've become what they have become. ๐Ÿ˜Š 
And a final view. Honey plans to deliver it along with some flowers and her favorite box of candy later this week. She no longer bakes like she used to, but I remember many holidays enjoying her spreads of cookies, cakes, pies and sweet pastries made from her Czech family recipes. Creating this card brought back many fond memories. ๐Ÿ˜
Thanks so much for visiting and until next time, stay well and keep crafting! XOX
MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
Sponsor items used: Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares,
Avery Elle and Hero Arts sentiment stamps

16 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! my goodness this really is a DELICIOUS card Aimes, your MiL will love it, a lovely verse and of course back and the colouring is superb, it's shall I say exquisite in every detail. Yep! I've said it. I can't see any scones though Aimes, I see meringues and jam tarts though! I'd happily sit for an afternoon tea with this gorgeous cake stand. LURVE her hat too, would love one like that. Ah! you are making me dream with this card. ;)
Faith x

Carole J said...

Aimeslee, this is a wonderful card for your mum-in-law. It sounds like she was an avid baker and she'll love what you created for her. Well done on colouring the cakes and sweet treats on the tiered stand and the beautiful design with the lady looking longingly at the temptations :)
The cake stand seems to have small jam tartlets and iced or glazed doughnuts, as well as the others you mention. I don't see any scones though. Scones are crumbly baked goods, sometimes made with dried fruit like sultanas, and in my opinion are best served with jam and cream filling .... .mmmmmm - delicious.
Thanks for joining the challenges at Gecko Galz - we always enjoy seeing your beautiful projects.
Carole xx

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely fabulous card Aimeslee love the beautiful Vintage image and cake stand of assorted sweets-great P.papers too.Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create
Carol DT x

ahlers5 said...

This card has a beautiful retro look. I love it.

Chrissy said...

So lovely and elegant and colourful..
Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue Create..hope you will play along again..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Francesca said...

Very pretty card with a wonderful illustration! Thanks for playing at Through The Craftroom

Jackie C said...

This is a smashing project!
We do love to see all the entries at Classic.
Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge
We really appreciate you joining in.

Jackie DT

craftytrog said...

A stunning card for your mother in law Aimeslee! I bet she loved it!

Bethie said...

Very nice, Aimes. Before I read this I thought it was a High Tea replication. When I was in England visiting my girlfriend, she treated me to High Tea where the servers were in black dresses with white aprons and hats on. It was delightful.

Your card is so colourful and looks lovely as inspired by your sketch.Everything blends beautifully.

Kelly Schelske said...

What a beautiful project Aimeslee!

Thank you for playing along with us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends!

Loose Stitches said...

Gorgeous creation! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Loose Stitches said...

Such a gorgeous creation Aimeslee! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Ellibelle said...

An absolutely stunning birthday card you created for your mother-in-law for her special day! Love all the wonderful colors and gorgeous image. And it's so perfectly finished off on the inside and the back too! Truly wonderful!
Thank you so much for sharing at my Crafty Wednesday challenge! Hope you'll join in again soon!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

Chana Malkah said...

Very nice! Thanks so much for inspiring us at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah,
A Place To Start, Owner
613 Avenue Create, Owner
Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
Shopping Our Stash, DT
The Color of Cards, Owner

Sandra Wright. said...

I so love your card Aimeslee, the images are gorgeous.
Thank you for joining us at More Mixed Media.
I hope you are keeping safe and well..x

Judy McKay said...

Stunning card. Beautiful layering. Thank you for joining us at a Place to start this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT