Friday, January 22, 2021

Purple Glue Book Page Spread

 Hello again, all! Today I am sharing the newest spread in my Puns & Roses Glue Book: The Color Purple. It's my favorite color, so when I needed a break from card making I turned to playing with purple stash scrap papers and my inks. I've been collecting the Oxides and finally got around to using them here, along with Versafine Clair and the Distress dye inks. I began the spread days ago when I noticed I needed some play time diversion, lol. 

For those who don't know, this glue book of mine began as a lined diary our daughter left behind when she moved off to college. The cover was black with silver roses etched in it and it had thick pages and sewn signatures. So I kept it! Over time, the cover wore thin and the etching began to rub off so I recovered it. It's getting filled up slowly with puns, plays on words and spreads devoted to colors. You can see the other pages HERE in my Flickr album. I'm seriously behind on uploading my cards, but I do keep this album up to date. :-)

I took progress shots so you can see how the collage was created. In this book, I try to stick to paper/magazine collage and maybe some ink stenciling, etc. for accenting the glue booking. For this page, I first looked at my purple paper scraps drawer and found all of the above to choose from, even though I ended up only using a fraction of it. I focused on using the larger sheets and the strips that had the scalloped squares punched out of them (to the right in photo).

  
So here is after I glued down papers to cover the spread and create a little center stage for adding stenciling and hand stamping. I used Crafters Companion's Sheena In The Forest stencil and Distress ink on the side pieces before gluing down. I used the same scalloped square punch that had been used on my side pieces to cut more squares to inlay into the negative square spaces after edging the scalloped edges with ink. In the center stage area, I used CC's Sara Signature Enchanted Forest Flowers and Vines stencil with Distress ink after gluing down that paper.

So here's my page after adding the Lavinia Stamps Forest Scene trees stamp across the middle section and stenciling the grass using Funky Fossil's Scenic Borders stencil with Oxide ink. The hanging vines needed to be darker after stamping the trees so I stenciled them again using Oxide ink over the Distress dye ink.

So here's my dry mock up of my stamped items. I've already stamped some Fairy Buttercups directly to the page. I also stamped the tiny Fairy Couple in the air directly onto the page and stamped the larger fairies (Giselle and Daydreaming Silhouette)on card stock and fussy cut so I could see where to layer the grasses I had die cut for the lower section, using Lawn Fawn, MFT and Sweet n Sassy dies. Oh and I took some really big white alpha stickers with black stitching and applied some Smooch ink to them and a top coat of Wink of Stella, then added them to the sides for the title PURPLE.

And then I got really into it and quit taking process shots! Let's see, I colored the mushroom with Promarkers and then adhered the 3 layers of die cut grasses and completed edging the spread with washi tape from my stash. I adhered the larger fairies and then began stamping direct to the page all the various bubbles, stars and Fairy Orbs. 

I got out my Winks of Stellas and metallic gel pens, then I smudged white Distress Crayon across it all hoping to create a hazy cosmic cloudiness but did not realize this would activate the Oxides below as well as the gel penning. But oh well. I was able to even most of it out except for the area in the spine. The last thing I did was to Google some meanings of purple. I found a couple of graphic word salads and chose words that had meaning to me, typed them into PSE and printed out, adding them to the cosmic area and along the bottom. I'm sure I haven't mentioned all the Wink of Stella I used, but it was so much that I need to order some more! haha

Here are some close-ups to show off that glittery shine!:



Now, purple (or as the color experts call it, violet) has been my favorite for a number of years, but as you can see my preference is for blue-violet as opposed to red-violet. I've even read a book on the color of purple in history, and throughout most of history red-violet reigned as it was associated with royalty because of the blood lineages. Blue-violet was actually put with the Blues until modern times. I connect blue-violet more with fairies, fantasy and mental traits, so I wasn't even moved to use the word Royal because I didn't use the reddish shade. It's not that I dislike it in general but there are some shades of red-violet that turn me right off. 

And a final view. Thanks for the visit as always! I was going for the delicate air of enchantment with this spread and I'm satisfied. I've had me a little play that I thoroughly enjoyed, and now it's back to the card grind for now heehee. Hope your weekend is fab, xoxo

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
1.   Country View Challenge January: Squares -- on the sides behind the letters. Also, the center stage area is a square.
2.   Art Journal Journey January: Favorite Things -- my fave color is purple (blue-violet) and I love my fairy stamps
3.   Time Out Challenge #179: YOU  -- Favorite Color is Purple
4.   Outlawz Crash Your Stash Jan/Feb AG -- I've used up paper scraps from my purple drawer
5.   Lavinia World #44: AAG -- I've used several Lavinia stamps 
7.   Happy Little Stampers January Stencil Challenge: AG  -- I stenciled the top center vines and also the side pieces with the cut out/inlaid squares.
9.   TFJB Challenge: So Delicate -- (10 challenges max) Glitter, bubbles, fairy wings and thin wavy grass blades always so delicate and enchanting
10. NBUS Challenge #22: AG with NBUS -- (10 challenges max) Every stencil and Lavinia stamp I used was for the first time, and I've also used my Distress Oxides for the first time.

22 comments:

Elkes Lebensglück said...

You designed it wonderfully and so enchantingly, I also think the color selection is so beautiful!
I wish you a beautiful weekend, hugs Elke

sandie said...

Well....my fav colour is purple too!! So this is a delight to see and what a fun way to distract! I love you showed us how this developed with so much detail and care. I do like the little fairies you added and the fab sentiments. What a great way to use your daughter's old diary. Thanks for sharing 'YOU' with us at Time Out x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Just beautiful. So many details. You are such an inspiration. Been thinking of making another altered book. This time it will be directed to Al with photos of him throughout the book.

I love purple too. Your layout looks perfect in these shades.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I'm speechless, this is gorgeous so many wonderful details Aimeslee, I love the "purple" in large letters and split up, makes the pages one I think, although the rest does that too hahaha.
In answer to your question, I haven't had the vaccination yet, hubby has his next Tuesday, I will feel about about him having it, as he is the one to go shopping for odds and ends. I'm a little younger so will have to wait a little longer! It goes by age here.
Keep safe, hope your neck etc is behaving itself!
Faith x

Leslie said...

This is SO fun! I love purple too. This looks like it took a while to do and is definitely a diversion from card making!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always like it when I see your name at Art Journal Journey, because I know I'm in for a real treat. It is a fabulous journal spread. I was so glad you mentioned red-violet and blue-violet. One is warm and one is cool, just like there are warm (orange) reds and cool (blue) reds. I like how you kept with that cool color concept in mind.

I always enjoy seeing how you start and complete your pages. They seem to come together under your amazing artistic talent. I love the sparkle you created, too. This is a genuine gem. Thank you so very much for sharing this 2 page spread with us at Art Journal Journey.

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a fun spread Aimeslee. I love all the purple. A good color choice for fairies and magic I think. And nice story about how this journal came to be. I think you made a smart rescue. Thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey with this fun page. It is much appreciated. Hugs-Erika

ahlers5 said...

I love these pages. Purple is the perfect color for fairies. I went and looked at your pages. I love them all. What a wonderful idea. You really get to express yourself with them!

Shauna said...

What a pretty project! I like your layers, the mixed media feel, and the cute little fairies! Thanks for playing at Time Out Challenges!
- Shauna

nwilliams6 said...

Purple is a fab color and your page reflects its fabulousness. I love the patterns, the way you used the color, and all those great stamps. I am sure the sparkle is especially pretty. Thanks for all the progress pics. Love the pages!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Thank you for sharing your process! What a piece of art you have made! I am excited to tell you that there are dies for some of the Lavinia Stamps now, so you don't have to fussy cut called "Fairy Cuts". Although, i do like fussy cutting too. Thank you so much for sharing your card with us at Lavinia World Challenge!
Lavinia World DT - Bonnie

Corrie Herriman said...

lovely ! Thank you so much for your contribution to our January 'Squares' Challenge over at Country View Challenges!
Corrie x

Sue said...

This is amazing Aimeslee, so much work but I'm guessing it was a labour of love. I like purple too but I only seem to use it at Halloween. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Ania said...

Lovely!
Thank you for sharing your project with us at Lavinia World challenges https://laviniaworldchallenges.blogspot.com/

missgailly said...

How COOL is this! I love that you shared process and close-up photos. Thank you for playing along at USE YOUR STUFF - DT Gail #staysafe #stayhealthy

Monica C. said...

Oh this is so gorgeous, Aimeslee!! I love all the detail you have added and yet your spread is so cohesive and not overly busy that one cannot take in the beauty of it.
And art journal is such a wonderful place to just go mad in and also cover topics and thoughts that would not work on a card. Great job!!
Hugs Monica

sarascloset said...

Perfectly ENCHANTING, Aimeslee! This looks like so much fun, and a great page! I love the color purple, too! Thank you so much for sharing your AJP with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog!

Evelyn Walter said...

Hi dear Aimeslee! Wonderful artjournal spread! I like purple, but I don´t use it very often - I didn´t think about it must say ;-)
Thank you for joining in with our challenge at Country View Challenges and have a wonderful weekend!
Evelyn xx

Nandini said...

Gorgeous layout. Love the background. Great to see you in the HLS gallery. Hope you will join us this month too! Nandini, DT

Susan Renshaw said...

Really enjoyed reading your post - and what a fabulous result!
Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
Susan
DT for Stencil Challenge
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Purple and fairies are a really good combination - your spread is so beautiful - must be all that Wink of Stella!! Hugs, Chrisx

Cec said...

I love your purple page with all the inspirational words and those adorable fairies made me smile. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog.
Hugs!
Cec