Sunday, January 3, 2021

New Year Robins in Winter

 Hello again! I hope you are well. My neck and my ankle both seem to be slowly improving but continue to surprise me with the random zing. It's painfully unnerving to walk around all fine and dandy without a care, and then suddenly have your ankle buckle without warning! So I keep my cane with me, although I'm beginning to leave it and forget where, lol. Still wearing the neck brace for 6 hours a day as well. 

I have a Happy New Year card to share today which was done with some low-key Asian flare. I like to call it Zen Style, which I feel is perfect for the new year. Zen is contemplation, reflection, intuition, meditation, introspection, peace and calm. Our natural world is still and tranquil in winter (minus the occasional storm), so what better time to get in touch with these qualities through my art. And since Gecko Galz theme this month is Far East Beauty, I have an added incentive to explore this style. It won't all be in-your-face because I don't have too many people I'm currently making stuff for who are real happy with China at present and that includes me, but the Far East includes multiple countries/cultures, and Zen is of Japanese and Buddhist origin. So Zen can be a look, a style, an attitude, a feeling.

  

My card design was based on this Split Coaster Stampers sketch SC727 from 2018. To accommodate both my images, I chose to resize the sketch to 5x7", then reverse the dimensions to "scrunch it" into a  landscape orientation without turning it. The result was perfect for my images.

This Gecko Galz image from their Happy New Year Baby collage sheet is so pretty. I wanted to showcase it to be noticed as much as the focal image, so I used some very old MAMBI 12x12 scrapbooking stickers around it for a frame. Then I cut a Spellbinders Doilies Motifs die to top it. 

I used a 7x5" Kraft card base and some deep red SU card stock to mat the Seven Gypsies Sushi designer papers. I also added some MAMBI medallion stickers  as round accents on the left vertical strip.

The focal image is A Day For Daisies' Five Robins in Winter, which I feel in love with and had to have but have never used until now. I used Promarkers to color it. I decided that the robins should be Flame Robins with deep red bellies. I also chose on purpose to give the background trees color to signify that winter is here now but spring is not far behind. I began with a dull grey green, then layered a very light green on top and then coated it all with yellow Wink of Stella to try to blend with the greenish-gold in the Sushi papers. Finally, I coated the snowy ground with my clear Wink of Stella and accented the far horizon ground and the fencepost snow with Icicle Stickles which has flecks of blue in it, reflecting the pinkish blue sky. So, there is a ton of glitter on it, yet it is still completely Zen. Gotta love it!

  

The inside of the card features a Digi Doodle sentiment, and the back of the card has my custom Amy siggie (for people who don't know me as Aimeslee) on a little collage of Sushi paper scraps. The round element is an Asian-style Spellbinders die cut.

Here are some detail shots to try to show all of the shine that comes off this card in real life:

  

  
You can click on each pic to see in more detail.

And a final view. I very much like how this turned out and I can't wait to explore more Zen Style in the next few weeks. I hope you are able to embrace the new year with anticipation and hope in some way, even though it's still the same old same old so far in reality. There does seem to be light at the end of our tunnel, though. We just have to wait patiently, which is as Nature commands us. Until next time, stay warm and well! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
3.   Die Cut Divas January: A Rachel Vass Designs January Frame It -- I created a little frame for my sentiment image using a Spellbinders motifs die on top, and I framed the focal image with a card stock mat as well  #1/4
4.   Paper Funday #24: AG + Opt. Christmas/Holiday -- Option played!  #1/4
5.   2 Crafty Critter Crazies January 2021: AG with a Critter -- 6 birds, 5 on the fenepost, one on the sentiment  #1/5
13. Classic Design Challenge Jan 2021 #1: AAG  
14. Gecko Galz January Customer Blog Challenge: Far East Beauty  
15. Gecko Galz Facebook January Challenge: Good Wishes AG  
16. Stamping Sensations January: Use Your Favourite Stamps -- the A Day For Daisies digi stamp "Five Robins in Winter" is one of my favourites that I forgot I had for a long time.

16 comments:

Crafty KJ said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Love your colouring of this beautiful image and those little robins are too cute! Thanks for joining in with our Mega Christmas Challenge at Passion for Promarkers. Hugs, Karen x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

SO Beautiful Aimeslee, I love the different elements of peace in this. So many wonderful elements. Always so beautifully done. 6 hours a day is still a lot for your neck brace, but I'm sure it will be worth it and your ankle is reminding you that you need to take care with that too. :)
Keep safe
Faith x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous collage card - love the little framed piece atop your robin scene!! So glad you could join us at Die Cut Divas this month!!

Leslie said...

This is so pretty! I love the image - robins are one of my favorite birds! Happy New Year to you and Honey!

ahlers5 said...

Oh my gosh. This card is gorgeous! I love the Wink of Stella on the trees. I didn't even realize it came in colors. You really did such a beautiful job on this! As soon as I saw it I thought, I have that image. It's definitely a beauty. I think I have only used iit once many years ago.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This is a gorgeous wintry scene and beautifully coloured too. Thanks for sharing it with us at Passion for Promarkers this week.
Lorraine DT

Rosie said...

Just wonderful artwork as usual.

The stamp of the woman on the wall is a Non Sequitur stamp.

Happy New Year

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Lovn' your Zen garden card. That tag is absolutely fabulous. I have a hard time with "scene" cards. You certainly do not.

So sorry for the buckling of your knee, and the fact that you still have to wear a neck brace. I hope there comes a point you won't need the neck brace. My ankle is still tender and a little swollen (my fall was July 15). The nerves in my feet are affected from the fall so I have to take nerve pain pills in order to even be able to walk on my foot. I tell ya. Getting old is for the birds!

Donna Walls said...

Wondefully Serene Winter Scene. Thanks for entering your lovely project in the December challenge at The Paper Funday Challenges and best of luck in the draw! Donna, DT

Carole J said...

Aimeslee, I love the detail you put into your work. The robin image is wonderful and the sparkle is glorious! Your 'tag' from Gecko Galz compliments it so well. I would have never thought to put these together. Beautiful work and a lovely write up. Thanks for supporting the Gecko Galz challenges. xx

Monica C. said...

What a beautiful card, Aimeslee. I love the winter scene and how you scrunched the sketch to accommodate your landscape card.
Happy New Year to you. I am sorry that you are struggling with a knee and your neck and hope that you recover soon.
Hugs Monica

Arlene said...

I love your scene. Lovely card. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our "Frame It" challenge this month.

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Geweldige kaart. Echt prachtig Leuk dat je meedoet met onze challenge bij Creative Sketchy Girls.
Wonderful card. Really great. Thanks for joining us at Creative Sketchy Girls.

XX
Claudia

DT Creative Sketchy Girls

http://creativesketchygirls.blogspot.be/
https://girlzcreativecrafts.blogspot.com/
http://knutselmeisjes.blogspot.be

Tracy said...

Fabulous creation, thanks for joining Stamping Sensations, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Mrs.B said...

A great New Year card Aimeslee and the images is lovely and beautifully coloured and the framing looks great around the New Year Sticker.
Hope the neck and ankle pain continue to improve.
Lovely to see you over at Stamping Sensations too.
Avril xx

Helen said...

Beautiful card - love the image you've used.

Hope your neck and ankle are improving.

Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge.

Helen x