Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Disco Girlfriends @ 65

 Hello again! Today I'm sharing  a birthday card for a dear girlfriend who has a crazy sense of humor that matches mine perfectly. I decided to use this digi stamp Disco Friends from Jan's Digital Stamp Shop, because I know she'd get a hoot out of it. 

Because of the old neck and ankle (and also really long mail transit times in my area), I was afraid I'd miss the deadline to get it in the mail to her on time, so Honey delivered it yesterday in person to her at work. He enjoyed getting to visit a minute with her behind masks and yes, she loved it. Her favorite color is turquoise blue.

I went with Split Coast Stampers sketch SC53, resizing it to 6x6" and then "wonking" the 90-degree angles a bit to loosen it up. I also just had to add some flower layers with heart brads, and then a few 60's themed charms on some bakers twine wrapped in the card base side fold. Since it was being hand-delivered, a perfect chance to chunk things up a bit!

I colored these two Disco Friends with Promarkers and added gel penning to their glass lenses, lips and nails and earrings. 


I printed them out again on Avery Repositionable Label paper and fussy cut them to make masks which I applied over my colored images. Then I got out my Tombow markers and a Funky Fossils Retro Starburst stencil and stenciled a background for them.

The plastic vinyl flowers I used are very old and I think they came from Oriental Trading. I like how they add shine and are also pretty funky looking. The sentiment is a combination of the Age quote that is provided with this stamp set and printed out, and Quickutz number stamps and MFT birthday stamps. The card base is Springhill card stock and the blue mats are Bazzill textured card stock scraps I found in my stash drawer. The designer paper is Echo Park's Let's Party collection.

These charm were a last-minute addition as I just remembered I had them. I actually had two of the peace ones, both up side down. I tried to turn one around and broke the hinges on back of it, so I gave up and just used as is.

The inside sentiment of my card is also printed from the digi stamp set, as are the peace signs. I added a mat of the Echo Park paper and then peace signs colored with Promarkers and fussy cut.

On the back, I used more of the Echo Park paper on a Bazzill mat. This collection has a page filled with little replicas of the papers so I used the Hooray as a spot for my stamped siggie.

And a final view. I really hate that many of my girlfriends, including me, are going to turn 65 during this pandemic. What cheers me up is knowing there WILL be a makeup party whenever we can all feel safe enough to meet. Maybe even more than one! LOL Until then, sit and wait, be patient, stay safe. That way we can all make it to 66! I hope you all are safe, warm and well. Have a great rest of the week! XOX

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
3.   Jan's Digi Stamps Challenge January: AG -- I used Jan's Disco Girlfriends  #1/5
6.   Passion for Markers #573: Birthdays -  I used Promarkers to color the girls and Tombow markers to stencil their background.
10. I Love Promarkers #426: AG -- I used Promarkers to color the girls
11. CHNPPC January: AG with Patterned Paper -- I've used Echo Park Let's Party 6x6 collection

26 comments:

Mrs.B said...

This is such fun, the image is just great - no wonder your girlfriend loved it. Love the extra retro embellishments you added. Stay safe and that way we can all have a ball when this 'thing' is dead!
Hugs, Avril xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! This is absolutely brilliant in every way, I love the images, the colours, your fab charms the colouring and the fabby insert too. What a Great card to receive on a special birthday, I guess she was over the moon with it. BTW, 65 is a baby age LOL.
Faith x

Donna Ellis said...

Aimes, your colors and flashy disco background work so fantastically! I especially like the way it works for the 60s, 70s, and even today! Fabulous! hugs, de

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Assoon as I saw your card, I knew it had to be you and a girlfriend. The grand thing about turning 65 this year is us eccentrics give the older folks a run for their money. We keep the older generation looking hip and modern -- LOL. This is such a fun card, and coloured up beautifully and bright!

Jean said...

Fantastic creation ! Love the sentiment Thanks for sharing at 613 Avenue Create xx Please join us again.
https://wwwkraftyjean.blogspot.com/

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Aimeslee thank you for the lovely comment and yes thankfully feeling so much better fingers crossed.Sorry to hear you have been having health problems and hope you are feeling better as you say lockdown so not missing much lol.Fabulous card and image,love the colourful backgrounds you created and the little charms.Best wishes for the New Year
Carol x x

Jan Mahew said...

Aimeslee, What a FUN creation! Eunice and Gertrude are always in the mood for a party with friends! Thank you for showcasing Disco Friends on your loving creation for your special friend and sharing it with us at Jan's Digi Blog Challenge. Join us each month for a NEW challenge. Hope you feel better soon. Stay safe and Happy Crafting!
Hugs,
Jan
(Owner & Illustrator of Jan's Digi Stamp Shop)

Valérie said...

Hi Aimeslee, I love your "disco" card that immediately put a smile on my face. So positive vibes and colorful card! I love it. Your stenciled background fits perfectly to the party theme of your card. Thank you for sharing your card over at AAA Birthday for the Stenciled Background Challenge. Valérie DT AAA Birthday.

Jane said...

Perfect choice of stencil, looks just like disco lights. Fun images too. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Brilliant card . Thank you for joining us at I♥Promarkers challenge. Good luck Ginny DT for I ♥promarkers
My Blog As I do Rodos

Ella's Design said...

What a bright and cheery card, Aimeslee! Love your choice of papers and embellishments to compliment those fun disco chicks and your stencilled background works perfectly too...
Thanks for playing along with my challenge this week over at Passion for Promarkers! Lisa x

Monica C. said...

Hi Aimeslee, what a fun card. I am sure your friend loved it. I love the bright colors.
I have seen people use the Avery Repositionable Label paper for masks and will try that when I have used up my current masking paper. I don't make masks often, so it may be a while yet. Great us of the stencil.
Hugs Monica

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is such a great card! How fun! I love the images and all the details. I have some lady images I plan to make for my lunch group, but haven't got around to making them yet. We can't exactly go to lunch right now anyways. I mailed your dies. You should be getting them very soon. Hope you like them! I love the embossing folders. I need to make sone male birthday cards. They will be perfect.

Jackie Cornfield said...

This is a smashing project!
We do love to see all the entries at Classic.
Stay safe and well.
Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Jackie DT



My name is Erika. said...

This is so much fun Aimeslee. Love those ladies though I hope they look more like 80 than 65-smile. You should link over at Try It on Tuesday too with that positive uplifting inner quote. Happy new year and hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

Karen Page said...

This set from Jan's is so much fun and I love how you used it! Your card came out super groovy!!! You found the perfect patterned paper and embellishments! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at the Jan's Digi Stamps Challenge, and I hope you'll play along with us again soon!
~Karen Page, DT Member for Jan's Digi Stamps
Blog: MisplacedMojo.com IG: @misplacedmojo

Marlene Atkinson said...

this is beautiful, lovely design. Thank you for sharing with us at Passion for Markers Challenge. Marlene DT

Julie said...

Fab card - love the hippy vibes! Thanks for joining us at Passion for Markers this week, good luck! Juliexx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Great image & I just those papers, perfect!

Thank you for sharing your creation with us over at 'A Place To Start'
Stay Safe
Hugs Shell x

Chris said...

Fabulous fun card, love those dancing divas, great design and the beautiful bright colours.
xx

Nananas said...

I really love your colorful background and those ladies are so much fun! Thanks for joining our AAA Birthday challenge!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm not surprised your friend love this...it's brilliant! Looking forward to a few get together parties...let's hope it's soon! Chrisxx

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Beautiful work. Love it.
Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Annette DT

Helen said...

Love it! Fab image and a great card.

Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge.

Helen x

Chana Malkah said...

Fun card! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Chana Malkah said...

Congratulations! You were chosen as a Rising Star for the week of January 4th-9th at A Place To Start! Please stop by our blog and grab your badge. We hope you will join us in our February Sketch Challenge!

The Resident Design Team