Friday, January 1, 2021

Hey Darlin! Southern Girl Birthday

 Happy New Year! Here's hoping that 2021 holds better luck for us all, and I hope you are warm and well and not too hungover! :-) Honey and I had a quiet evening at home and tried out a fresh-squeezed fruit juice cocktail with Malibu Rum. Not much resolution-making anymore, but I may surprise myself with a few generalized motivational platitudes. Later today we will eat our traditional Southern dishes to bring us health, wealth and luck: Ham, black-eyed peas, green cabbage and cornbread (this year we are trying a Mexican Ranch-style recipe). Do you celebrate or get down to business with your resolutions?

 Today's the day to share my design team make for Love to Craft Challenge Blog's Challenge #54, a monthly Anything Goes challenge that you can enter 5 different projects to. I am completing my first year on the design team and have enjoyed it very much and will continue. Since they accept anything handmade and family-friendly, I've gotten to see an extraordinary variety of art! It never ceases to amaze me how crafty people are. What a wonderful hobby we all share!

PAPERS: Springhill Digital card stock, Basic Grey Gypsy/Romani designer paper collection
STAMPS/IMAGES: Digi Doodle Studios Dahlia's Blooms: Stamps: SU, Gina Marie, MFT, CAS-ual Friday, Jenni Bowlin, Lawn Fawn
INKS: Promarkers, Verafine Clair, Sakura gel pens
DIES: Spellbinders, Avery Elle
OTHER/STASH: embossing powder, enamel dot, deco scissors


  
I used Split Coast Stampers sketch SC787 as my layout design, resizing it to 5x7" and turning it 90 degrees to the right in PSE, and then I layered on the gorgeous Digi Doodle Studios digi image called Dahlia's Blooms that I colored with Promarkers, adding touches of Sakura red gel pen on her lips and on the butterfly.

I wanted to show the card front before adding the digital image because of all the paper pattern details. This is the beauty of using coordinated designer papers. This would have made a perfectly good card all on its own, right? You can also see how I followed the sketch as to layering and elements. I fussy cut the blue vertical strip - it's all one piece.

The Digi Doodle image was fussy cut with deco scissors and colored with Promarkers. I used various Spellbinder dies shaped like flowers/buttons to add to the left side, adding an enamel dot to the middle  one.The SU sentiment was stamped and heat-embossed, then cut out with an Avery Elle die. 

On the inside of my card I used an assortment of stamps from Gina Marie, CAS-ual Fridays and Papertrey Ink. The fishtail banner die cuts are Avery Elle. I stamped a Jenni Bowlin frame around the bottom sentiment on top of more designer collection paper.

The back of my card: I used a sheet in the collection that incorporated all the collection's patterns. I fished around in my die cut orphans box and found the heart and the fat fishtail banner. I stamped the Lawn Fawn siggie with Versafine Clair and heat-embossed.

And a final view. I made this for my cousin who is a Southern Girl, like me. And she's still beautiful at almost 70, so I wanted to emphasize that somehow. It seems like when I want to really make a connection with someone through my cards, I have often used a Digi Doodle image. My cousin has been going through some tough stuff lately, so I wanted this to be special for her and she loved it! She has it displayed in her den and says it lifts her spirits every time she walks by it. DDS owner Dina Gerber draws such sweet images. Even my Honey loves them and I will be using one to make his Valentine card. :-)

Thanks for visiting and stay healthy! XXO

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
4.   Passion 4 Promarkers #572 Mega Challenge 2020: Add a Sentiment -- my focal image is colored with Promarkers #2/3
6.   Creatalicious Challenge #202: AAG -- Option not played this time.  #1/3
7.   Inkspirational Challenge #229: Inspired By Something in My Home -- I was inspired by a framed photo of my cousin, for whom I made this card, that hangs on the wall in our hallway.  
9.   Colour Crazy Craft Challenge Week 50: AG with Colouring -- focal image is colored with Promarkers  #1/2

18 comments:

Rain said...

Happy New Year Aimeslee!! :) Oh your card is just beautiful, it's so cute and happy! :) Alex had to wake my up at midnight lol...I just can't make it anymore! :)

ahlers5 said...

I absolutely love all the bright colors! Such a cheerful card. We can all use something cheerful right now. We ate our traditional foods last night. We had herring for wealth, ham for happiness and beans for health, along with lots of other goodies. I have had those three foods every New Year's Eve since I was a child. Probably close to sixty years. We went shopping yesterday. I realized while we were in the store that we didn't have herring. I hate it, but I eat it anyways. We aren't wealthy, but we're doing pretty well. I told my husband I will not skip herring this year. We had to end up searching, but found it. Money's safe for another year, haha! Having COVID the beans should have been my priority. Crazy things we do.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous card! Loving your southern girl, she looks so happy 😀. All the best for 2021, let's hope it a better year for everyone - Happy New Year! Hugs, Jo x

Tone K. said...

This was really colorful and great card :)
Thanks a lot for joining us at Creatalicious! :)

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning post, love the bright cards. xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! I, like your cousin would be thrilled to have this card, and it would make me smile and happy each time I saw it. it's perfect Aimeslee, beautiful colours and layers and you finish your cards off with a beautiful insert and back, making a real work of love and joy. As for New Year tradition? I always make sure all washing and ironing and everything is clean to take us into the New Year, nothing special about food. We are too full after Christmas hahahaha.
Faith x

Ella's Design said...

What a bright and cheery card, Aimeslee! The floral design papers work perfectly with that fun image...
Thanks for playing along with our Mega Christmas challenge over at Passion for Promarkers! Lisa x

Wil said...

Wat vrolijke jaar super mooi

Wil said...

Wat een vrolijke kaart erg mooi

Leslie said...

What an awesome and bright and cute card! I love it! At first glance, I thought this was a My Besties 'Fluffy' image! Very similar and darling! Happy New Year, friend!

Crafty KJ said...

Such a fun card and I love how colourful it is! Fab image and how lovely that you've even decorated inside the card. Thanks for joining in with our Mega Christmas challenge at Passion for Promarkers. Hugs, Karen x

Linda Mc Enery said...

Ahhh Aimeslee, this is so beautiful! I completely agree with you, that the card pre-image is already beautiful. It's such a happy image too and reading about how Digi Doodle Studios images are what you tend you go for when you want to 'connect' with someone, makes complete sense to me. I am on the DDS design team too, and have always felt honoured to showcase DDS images - I feel like they have soul and radiate joy. Fantastic colouring and beautifully matched to your papers. Thanks for sharing this with us at Passion for Promarkers!
Linda

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

When I first saw this card, I got all giddy. I love it. The way you put your card together and the bright colours. Gorgeous.

This is the first year I haven't made a resolution or word of the year. With being on lockdown, my heart isn't into it. No hangover here. Went to bed at 10 because I was so tired. So the champaign will have to be used for another occasion.

Happy New Year!

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Lovely creation! Thanks for playing at Crafty Creations Challenge.
Ileanaxx

Marina said...

What a wonderful burst of colour! Thanks for joining in at Inkspirational Challenges.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a bold and beautiful card, she's such a happy little girl loving those flowers around her. Will brighten anyone's day. Thank you for sharing.
Creative wishes for 2021 Tracey x

Julie said...

What a beautiful card
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Hazel Nut's Pattern Paper Challenge
Julie T

Aunty Sue said...

What a fb job you did of colouring one of our images at Digi Doodles stamps thanks for sharing it with us and good luck in the challenge