Tuesday, September 29, 2020

On The {DIY} CASE with Beccy's Place

 Hello Again! I'm popping in with a quick share of a card I made for the September challenge over at Beccy's Place. It's always Anything Goes using one of her images and the twist is optional. This month the twist is to CASE yourself! Okay, Well, that's interesting. OK, challenge accepted! My thoughts immediately went to a card I'd made last year. I had not been happy with the stamped image and I fiddled with it until it looked pretty good, but it was one of those cards you only feel comfortable giving to a parent or someone who loves you unconditionally, heehee. I have used the stamp since -- it will be in Oct.1st's post, as a matter of fact -- so I put my lessons learned to good use and also was motivated to make the card again, with quite a few tweaks. 

My first card featured a hand-stamped scarecrow so I searched my Beccy's image file and found this one. I meant to print him larger than he came out, still don't understand when that occasionally happens. I was thinking that is too dang small to color and stay in the lines, but then I got out my Pitt Artist Pens which are India ink and don't run or spread like alcohol markers can do. And good Loord willing I managed to color him so I kept him. That was the first difference between cards then and now, lol.


                             
I followed the current Creative Sketchy Girls sketch, resizing it from a square card to an A2 card. I went looking for a sketch to use because my image was smaller and looked weird in the same layout as the first card.

I made a brayered and inked background for my first card, so I did the same here, but with a different twist, of course. I did the rubber-banded-brayered with gold pigment ink again, but this time on every layer save my focal image. This is a shot of just the gold brayering effect, isn't it cool? Reminds me of straw which goes with the scarecrow - Ha! I just decided to dedicate that brayer roller to that technique and ink, so it was ready and waiting for me!

  
Here I am ink blending my distress inks through a stencil. I used much bolder and brighter colors this time around.

And the colors I used were Crackling Campfire, Candied Apple, Fossilized Amber, Twisted Citron,  Carved Pumpkin, Forest Moss, Peeled Paint, Stormy Sky and Blueprint Sketch.

Here's a shot of one of the stenciled layers and also my stenciling of the SU blue card base. After doing the gold brayering and heat-embossing that, I then took the Tim Holtz Bubbles stencil and some VersaMagic pigment ink in white and stenciled the front and back. Then with the same ink I stenciled a different border on each surface using Dyan Reaveley's small Stitches stencil. I really like how that came out, but of course, I go and cover it all up, lol. Repeat after me: I can make another one and not cover it up! lol

The sketch calls for 3 layers on the base. I ended up making the middle layer out of deli paper in order to not completely obscure that gorgeously stenciled bottom mat, and point to or direct the eye to and anchor the bottom sentiment.

The bottom mat was cut with a Stamplorations stitched die and the other two mats were cut with a My Favorite Things die. I ran the chisel end of a Promarker to create the blue edge on my top focal image mat. I used some Palette Starry Night ink with a sponge dauber to distress the edges of my Tim Chit Chat sticker sentiment. Another small difference between cards: one was Halloween-themed, this one Autumn.



Shots of the back of the card. YUM!!! 

And a close-up of my coloring job on this friendly guy and his harvest.

                                   
And a final look. Hope you have a great day and thanks for visiting! XXO

Oh and here is the original card. Like I said, quite a few tweaks / differences, but still an authentic rearrangement remake!

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
3.  Outlawz Festive Fridays 9/18-10/1: Anything Goes theme -- I used sponsor Beccy's Place's image.
4.  Country View Sept. Challenge: Complementary Colors -- Although my card is many colors, the dominant ones are Blue and Amber/Orange.  
\
5.  TGIF Challenge #TGIFC283: Ink Blending --  through a stencil












7.  SAS4Kids: Halloween / Fall -- cute fall card appropriate for a child or teen
8.  A Place to Start Sept: Child's Card - a cute fall card appropriate for a child

7 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Thud! Aimes girl, you knocked this card out of the park with that gorgeous layout (thanks for the instructions). If I can say, I think the size of the scarecrow is perfect. If it were larger you wouldn't have pulled off the sketch as nicely as you did. It is a cute sketch, but one with alot of hard edges. With your handmade background, everything blends together nicely.

Beccy said...

Wow, what a fabulous burst of gorgeous colour Aimeslee, I love your new version! You did a wonderful job with the background and I just love the bright and happy colours you used for the image. It's not always easy to recreate a card, especially if it was tricky the first time around... but you nailed it! Great job!
Cheers,
Beccy

ahlers5 said...

I love visiting and reading about how you make your cards. You put so much into the and it shows. I don't think I would know where to begin. I'm glad you show all your steps. Oh, and wonderful card!

Alyson Mayo said...

Seeing the difference really brings the amount of detail you added to the latest card to light. So many techniques... fabulous!

Tami Hewlett said...

Wow! Love the brilliant colors and great ink blended background you created with the stencil!!! Thanks for joining TGIF Challenges this week.

Alyson Mayo said...

It's so interesting to look back on previous projects and see how we can improve on them - both are terrific but I definitely prefer the latest one :)

Chana Malkah said...

Love the MM work you are doing these days! This project is awesome!

Sorry for the tardy comment! Thanks so much for sharing this project with us at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner