Friday, February 14, 2020

Mardi Gras Birthday Party Pig


Heck Yeah, it's Love Day! Howdy, friends! You know that squealing pig in the Geico commercials? This Party Pig digital image from Beccy's Place reminds me of him. I think they are cousins or something, lol. I saw this image and had to have it, then it psyched me out from using for the longest until I realized he'd make a perfect Mardi Gras pig!

   
I used SplitCoastStampers Sketch #781 from December 2019, resizing it to 6x6 in my PSE computer program before printing out.

I cannot ever remember making a Mardi Gras card, probably because I have never really had time to since it's usually between Valentines and my birthday. I have a family member with a birthday a few days before Fat Tuesday (which is on Feb. 25 this year), so I decided to make it my theme for his card. People in my neck of the woods know and celebrate this holiday rooted in the Catholic observance of Lent. In fact, an hour down the coast from me in Galveston, it's a huge event second only to New Orleans. Mardi Gras in French means Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) in English: the day we eat high on the hog (so to speak lol) because the next day Ash Wednesday begins the 40 days of Lenten fasting/sacrifice.

I went with the more or less official color trio of Mardi Gras: gold for power, purple for justice and green for faith. The pig was printed out on white Springhill 110# index stock and colored mainly with ProMarkers along with wax colored pencils in some areas.

 I constructed a little stage scene on the card front using various fussy-cut stamps in my stash and creating a mixed media background, which I'll describe later in the post. I used a purple patterned card stock from Colorbok's Marbled pad as my 6x6" card base. I cut a 5.5"-square of Recollections thick 110# cover stock, stamped an Avery Elle woodgrain background stamp on the bottom with VersaFine Claire ink and clear-heat-embossed. I used another Avery Elle background stamp of little bubble circles at the top, stamping with Delicata gold ink and heat-embossed in gold ep. The La Blanche curtain stamps were colored with a purple Sparkle Pen and then details were defined using a black wax pencil to trace the stamped lines in the curtains. The oval checkerboard floor (I think it's a 100 Proof Press but not for sure) was stamped in VersaMark and embossed with gold ep, then Hero Arts Neon Green ink was blended on with a finger dauber. I used a Lawn Fawn banner die cut and stamp for the Hero Arts sentiment.

 On the inside of the card, I cut two mats using a Spellbinders Labels die. The Beccy's sentiment on the left was printed out before die cutting. On the right I've used Stamplorations sentiments. I blended Hero Arts Neon Yellow, Neon Green and Neon Purple inks, then outlined each mat with the purple Sparkle Pen. Finally, I used the Sparkle Pen to create splatters!


The back of the card features a piece of Junkitz plaid patterned card stock. I wanted to use it but needed to add more of the Mardi Gras colors to it, so I stenciled on it using the Hero Arts Neon inks and a Sheena Douglass by Crafters Companion 7x7" Crazy Perspectives stencil. I added two strips of washi tapes from my stash and topped them with a Lawn Fawn siggie stamped on a Clear Dollar stamps label die cut.

  
Here is what the Junkitz card stock looked like before adding the Neon inks. I used the green Frogtape to secure the stencil.

Now, to continue the background: After I stamped the woodgrain floor, I masked it with some of the green Frogtape. Then I stood the card up in my spray box and sprayed some Adirondack Purple Twilight Color Wash and then some Adirondack Meadow Green Color Wash. I let it run and drip, then I used my heat gun to dry it before putting it back in the box and spraying the middle with Dylusions Lemon Zest yellow.

Love how the yellow splattered in the middle, but some of it dripped down onto the woodgrain floor under the Frogtape. Plus, when I pulled off the Frogtape, I guess because the card stock was damp, some of it tore a bit. But I was able to tack it back down with some glue stick. I then added some yellow Promarker here and there on the floor, then blended in with brown ProMarker. Especially with the checkerboard rug added you can't even see the boo-boos. I used a black ProMarker on the top and bottom to make it look a bit grungy where the purple and green inks had pooled and soaked in over the Frogtape. I realize I could have avoided this by just stamping the woodgrain floor on another piece and adhere it on top of the inky one. But no, that would be too easy, haha! Plus, I think it gives the floor some "character"... like an old dance floor that has seen lots of hooves in its time!

 Close-up to show shimmer and shine... I added some sequins around the pig, which is adhered using lots of little foam squares.

 And another....

 And the pig needs a close-up!

I hope you got a little kick out of my card today. Thanks very much for dropping by and I wish you Galentine Well Wishes and Valentine Kisses! XOX

CHALLENGES:
1.   SplitCoastStampers Sketch 781 -- Sketch shown above
2.   Beccy's Place February Challenge: AG using Beccy's image + opt. twist: Animals
3.   2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge #35: AG with a Critter -- PIG
4.   Time Out Challenge #155: Birthdays Quotation Inspiration 
5.   613 Avenue Create #230: AG + Opt. Banners & Bows -- Option played: the sentiment's on a banner and the curtains have bow ties. :-)
7.   Country View Challenges Feb: Splatters, Splashes and Drips -- I used my spray inks on the background layer and splattered my Sparkle Pen on the inside sentiment mats, all as shown in my post.
8.   A Vintage Journey Feb. Challenge: Against the Grain -- I included a stamped, colored, inked wood floor in my little card scene.

24 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Gosh, this scene looks so 3-D it's not funny! So adorable. I love those Geico commercials.

So nice and vibrant. Excellent colouring and beautifully done inside and out!

Lozzy said...

Cool card, love it and great post..hugs Lozzy xx

Leslie said...

OMG, that pig is a scream! Love, love, love this card! Your cards are always labors of love and I know the recipients appreciate them! This one is fantastic!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

That is a fantastic Mardis Gras card! What a funny pig!

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fun card! The dancing pig really made me smile and I love the colour combination that you used too 😀. Thanks for the smiles and happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Donna Ellis said...

LOL! I didn't know Mardi Gras piggies had birthdays! LOL so cute, and I love the drama of the purple and green colors. The stage and curtains is beyond fabulous. EVERYONE should have a stage to dance on when it is their birthdays, whether they have a curly tail or not! Aimes, you've outdone yourself with that beautifully sprayed background, too. hugs, de

Crafting with Darcy said...

Really cute, Aimeslee! That is one cute pig that knows how to party! I love this card!

sandie said...

Loved reading all about how you celebrate Mardi gras-we learn a new thing everyday-thank you for sharing. And wow to this card-a real celebration going on here! Adore the vibrant colours and your colouring superb as always. And so much lovely detail and thought and love gone into this card-thanks for joining TIME OUT X

Anita in France said...

Oh my goodness, Aimeslee ... such a fun, mardi-gras partying pig ... so wonderfully detailed and finished! She sure is partying with abandon! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

Karen @ Misplaced Mojo said...

OMGoodness, this card, and your post, are a hoot!!! I cracked up at the part talking about how the floor had character from all the dancing hooves its seen! The piggy is cute as can be... and I see the relation to its famous cousin ;-) All the details you added are just spectacular, and I know this is a card that just shines and shimmers IRL! So glad you shared this sweet piggy with us at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies!!!

Jane said...

Such a fun project with so many details, great work! Thanks so much for joining our February splatters, splashes and drips challenge over at Country View xx

Pip Lewer said...

Who doesn’t love a dancing pig...she’s so cute. Thanks for playing along with this months theme at AAA Birthday.

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a fun card, very Mardi Gras, it brought a smile to my face for sure! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

Jane said...

Super fun card and a vibrant use of colour that matches the dancing pig perfectly. Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too.

Corrie Herriman said...

Great card ! Thank you for joining us for our February 'splatters, splashes and drips' challenge over at Country VIew Challenges!
Corrie xx

Sheila H said...

Your dancing pig is a delight! I love your coloring. We're happy you dropped by our place at 613 Avenue Create.

Brittany M. said...

Oh my goodness, this is so darling! I absolutely love all the detail and the color scheme you used for this card! thank you so much for joining the Paper Girls and their birthday challenge this last week :) It was good to see you again!

Tina said...

This is as fun as it is cute! Love it! Thank you for joining us at AAA Birthday, hope to see you again! Tina DT

Teresa said...

Thank you for joining our Splatters, Splashes, and Drips challenge at Country View Challenges. Good luck and hope to see you again. Teresa DT xx

Chrissy said...

Fabulous fun card, love the background..
Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue Create..hope you will play along again..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Alyson Mayo said...

This is so fun - love the pig on stage! Great background :)

Beccy said...

Great post Aimeslee, thank you for sharing all the information about Mardi Gras. I have never heard of Fat Tuesday before and I had no idea about the meaning of the colours or the origins of the celebration.
Thank you also for explaining your process to us, I found that very interesting too. I definitely agree about the state of the floorboards after being trod by a multitude of hoofs!
Your card is amazing... definitely a work of art. All the different layers and mediums have made a wonderful creation. Love it all!
Cheers,
Beccy

sarascloset said...

Squeal! What a fun card and so fun to see how it all came together! I bet your friend was delighted to receive this! Thank you for the information about Mardi Gras...something I know little about. Thanks so much for playing along in my challenge at A Vintage Journey!

Chana Malkah said...

Hi, Aimeslee!
She is just delightful! Thanks for such a fun and well-crafted submission to our challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner