Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Warm & Cozy Scrappy Vintage Christmas

Hello there! Long time no see, eh? Ugh, I have been down with my Arthurs last few days. Just unplugged and went AWOL until I felt better today. So, Happy November!

Gosh, I sure love this "deer" little card, now that it's done. It's my attempt at a monochrome brown CAS design in a vintage style. And except for the Kraft card base and the brown base mat layers front and back, all other papers used came out of my scrap drawers!

  
SUPPLIES:
Papers: Kraft, SU & DCWV card stocks, Neenah index stock, Junkitz, Urban Lily & DCWV patterned paper snippet scraps
Stamps: Artistic Outpost, Lawn Fawn, Flourishes, Leave Memories
Inks: ProMarkers, Brilliance, VersaFine Clair, VersaMark
Dies: Avery Elle Dotted Elle-ments, Stamplorations Two Reindeer, Clear Dollar Labels
Other / Stash: Darice Deer A2 Embossing Folder, wax colored pencils, photo corners, Wink of Stellas, Sakura metallic gel pens, Signo Uni white gel pen, white Posca pen, embossing powders

I used the current Atlantic Hearts sketch, resizing to 5x7 A7 in PSE and printing out. I just love that little cabin in the snow stamp from Artistic Outpost's Midwinter set. I've had it for years and this is the first ink-up. After stamping it on a Kraft snippet with VersaFine Clair and heat-embossing, I colored the snowy parts with white wax pencil and a touch of yellow Wink of Stella for the inside cabin lighting. For the sky, I stamped and white-heat-embossed a few stars and then used white Wink of Stella, white Brilliance ink and a finger dauber, along with all my pens listed in the Supplies to paint the night sky.  I just used one colorant after another, like wonder what this would look like, etc. I used my grey ProMarkers to add shadows and dark accents. Simple and low-tech, but oh how I like an opaque white on Kraft!

 You can see the white card layer peeking out here and there. It's been embossed with a deer head folder to echo the focal point one. There's also a little deer in the stamped scene, which is stamped on a snippet scrap of the Kraft.

 I kept everything clean (no edge or ink distressing) and simple (minimal layers, no bling and uncluttered space to rest the eye around the focal). Looking at it is calming to me.

 Inside, I got a little reddish-brown with some Urban Lily paper scraps. The stars and deer on the left are part of the paper pattern, as are the white flourishes.

 For the back, I embossed more deer heads on another scrap of white and paired it with more snippets from my brown scraps drawer.

A final look. I hope I did that snowy cabin scene justice with this card. I love the deer head silhouette die and really should use it more since that design motif is still popular.

CHALLENGES:
1.   Atlantic Hearts Sketch #341 -- sketch is shown above
2.   A Place to Start Nov. Challenge: Caffeinated Tones 
3.   CAS Christmas Nov. Challenge: Warm & Cozy
4.   Happy Little Stampers CAS Nov. Challenge: Tis the Season
5.   Stamplorations CAS Nov. Challenge: AG + Opt. Any Shade of Brown -- I have played the option.
6.   The Sisterhood of Crafters: Make It Clean and Simple CAS
7.   Artsystamper Digital Challenge #3: Monochromatic -- I created my card in Browns.
8.   Outlawz Color Tuesdays Nov. 5-18: Photo Inspiration
9.   Christmas at Sweet Stampin Oct. Challenge: AG + Opt. Stars - I have played the option.
10.  Pixie's Snippet Playground #364: AG with a Snippet -- This card is made with almost all snippets this time, and yes please and thank you to the draw! xoxo
11.  Merry Little Christmas Challenge #16: ACG
12.  613 Avenue Create Challenge #227: AG + Opt. Scrap Your Stash -- I've played the option and details are in my post. 
13.  Colour Crazy Week 42: AG with Colouring -- I've used wax colored pencils on my focal image.
14.  2 Crafty Critter Crazies Nov. Challenge: AG with a Critter -- DEER
15.  Joy Of Sets Tic Tac Toe Challenge JOSTTT011 --  Top Row Across: CAS / Winter / Heat Emboss
16.  Use Your Stuff Challenge #381: Use Scraps -- Details are in above post.
17Country View Nov. Challenge: Hand Stamped Focal -- Details in post.
18.  Love to Scrap Challenge #127: AG
19.  Aud Sentiments Challenge #239: AG + Sentiment
20.  Paper Girls Challenge #187: Mixed Up Manufacturers -- See SUPPLIES above for all different ones used
21.  Scrapping 4 Fun Challenge #152: AG
22.  Jingle Belles Challenge JB:19:22: Rudolf and Friends -- linked to there from my Flickr after having Blogger uploading problems earlier today.

Well, that is it for me this time but I'll be back again tomorrow with another Christmas card. Behave and stay safe! xoxo

39 comments:

Creaine said...

Love your Critter card!
Thanks for joining us at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies, Good luck in the challenge and hope to see you again next time!
Ine (DT) http://creaine-cards.blogspot.nl/

Beverly said...

Hi Aimslee,

This is an Awesome card! That's right, with a capital A. The layers...so inspiring. Thanks for entering our challenge over at Artsystamper Digitals. Great to have you again!

Hugs, Bev aka Artsystamper

Darlene said...

OMG this card is amazing 'all the way around!' Just fabulous Aimeslee! Sorry you've not been 100% ... hope today is a better day! Thanks so much for playing in our challenge at the Artsystamper Challenge Blog!
Darlene
ARTSYSTAMPER CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop by for a visit.

P.S. Thanks for sharing this awesome creation at the Sisterhood of Crafters too!

pssmitty papercrafts said...

What a beautiful card! & I love the inside - have to say I've never thought of making the back so fancy! Thank you for sharing with AHSC.

Tracy F said...

What a gorgeous card! Love the image and your coloring is amazing! Thanks for joining us at Atlantic Hearts Sketches!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

This certainly does look warm and cozy!

Jacq said...

Aimeslee, I am loving this card!!! The little cabin scene is fabulous and your colouring is amazing and your deer silhouette finishes it off perfectly!

I have that same deer die but hardly ever use it cos I don't actually like it as the main focal point but now you've shown me it can really adorn a card beautifully! Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for sharing this one with us over at The Outlawz Colour Challenge, it's always a pleasure to see you there!

Jacqui
The Outlawz DT

Meggymay said...

Beautiful cards and I love this colour combination you used.
Yvonne xx

Vickie Y said...

Beautifully designed! Thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters.

Bonnie said...

Love this lovely winter scene colored on the kraft base, Aimeslee! The back is just as fantastic with the embossed deer! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Christmas!

sarascloset said...

Your card is gorgeous, Aimeslee! I hope you are feeling much better!

Margo said...

So elegant !
Thank you so much for joining us at Colour Crazy Craft Challenge !
The best of luck with your entry, hope to see you again !
Greetz
Margo DT

Fiona said...

This is such a gorgeous card - I love cards with deer on them - and that winter cabin looks so cosy - your colouring is so nice and I like the monochrome effect - thanks for joining us at JOSTTT011 - hope to see you again next month.

Rachelle Oltean said...

This is such a well-designed card! All of the elements compliment each other perfectly! Well done!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us at A Place To Start!
Rachelle - DT@APTS

Allisa said...

Such a fun card! I have never thought of designing the back of my cards....might have to try that!

Tammy said...

what a gorgeous card Aimeslee! I love everything about it- the colors, the beautiful scene and that awesome deer embossing folder, very beautiful!!

Jane Willis said...

What a beautiful scene. The deer silhouette really sets it off. And so many wonderful elements to enjoy on every surface of the card!
Jane
GDT at A Place To Start

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning card! I always love your designs they are so pretty both inside and out - amazing 😁. I hope you've had a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

Di said...

Absolutely stunning card Aimslee! I LOVE how it looks like a sepia photo - very creative. Clever you.

Hugs

Di xx

Jackie C said...

Such an elegant and superbly finished card, well done! So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create. Please come back again! The best of luck with your entry. Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely fabulous card Aimeslee on all four sides-love the embossed stags head on the back-and beautiful Wintry image with the stags silhouette-brilliant
Carol x

Renate said...

Beautiful wintercard,
Thank you for joining us at Scrapping4fun
Renate DT

Macimbalo said...

Such a gorgeous masculine creations. I love all the details and interest you have added to each part of the card! Thanks so much for linking your gorgeous creation at HLS!

Christine Alexander said...

love your warm and cozy cottage :) Thanks for joining us at CAS Christmas.

Brandi said...

Very pretty card, I love it. The deer is great! Thanks for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (AHSC).

Brandi R.
DT member AHSC
crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca

Jane Allmark Crafting With Jane said...

This is stunning with so much detail on all sides of the card. Thanks for joining #JOSTTT011 challenge x

traighpapercrafting.wordpress.com said...

I love the traditional look of this card, there's just so much detail inside and out. Thanks for joining in with the #JOSTTT011 challenge.

Chana Malkah said...

This is just a stunning creation! I love the interior it graphically beautiful. Thanks so much for submitting this artful creation to our challenge at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Susan Lawson (Simpson) said...

Love the vintage style colours you have used for your project and the stags head is just perfect love it! Thanks for joining us at #JOSTTT011

Craftyfield said...

Love that cabin scene and the snowy background! Great work inside and out, front and back... I'm all for using up all the available estate! Thanks for playing with us at Country View Challenges this month.

Trina P. said...

Gorgeous vintage Christmas card. Very classy and perfect for either genders. Thank you for joining us at CAS Christmas.

Monika Gulyas said...

Beautiful winter scene!!! Thank you for joining the November challenge of the Country View Challenges!

Cath Wilson said...

Just spotted this on another site, Aimeslee, so thought I'd come over and look...it's beautiful. I never think of using my white pencil on Kraft but it looks so good. The inside is amazing... glad to see you've used Brilliance Moonlight White - I use it so often and am constantly reinking...it's the best white inkpad I've ever found. Your attention to detail on the back and the centre amaze me...so much thought goes into them and they always look amazing.
Hope you're feeling better now... you were when you made this, so I hope that's continued... it's no fun being 'out of action' for a while, so I'm glad you were wise enough to rest.
Cath x

Andrea said...

You got that totally right, warm and cosy is exactly what this card conjurs up. Thank you so much for sharing and joining with #josttt011

KT Fit Kitty said...

That cabin is a stamp? OMGoodness, I would have sworn it was a recycled commercial Christmas card - it looks amazing! Really love what you've done with the stamp, and the reindeer die-cut and photo corners are the perfect addition! Really loving your creativity! Beautiful work, Aimeslee!

Loll said...

Beautiful vintage winter scene, Aimslee!! Wonderful patterned paper in the background. Your little cabin in the woods is beautifully coloured. This really is warm and cozy with the sweet cabin, and also the colours you've used. There's something very warm about shades of brown. Great work! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Christmas!

Angie McKenzie said...

Love your attempt of a brown monochrome scheme for the cabin. The starry night sky is the perfect touch! Thanks for participating in the #josttt011 challenge.

Sandra Mastello said...

This is a great uni-sex card, Love it! Thanks for joining us at #JOSTTT011

foleysfriend said...

Love the beautiful night sky you created. Just lovely. Great monochromatic card - lots of detail. Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations CAS.

sue n.