Sunday, October 6, 2019

Happy Haunting Tag

Sunday Greetings! I am in HAPPY spirits today and hope the same for you.

I noticed Tag Tuesday's Tree challenge ends shortly, so I quickly decided to make a Halloween tag for my little art corner. I have had this Halloween tree stamp from Third Coast Stamps aptly named Sinister Tree for a decade and have only used it a few times. It's really the only scary tree stamp I have and I love the eyes, lol. I also noticed Stamping Sensations and a few other blogs challenges are themed similarly, so this was a done deal decision!

SUPPLIES:
Paper: Basic Grey Urban Couture tag and pp, Recollections heavy card stock
Stamps: Third Coast, Making Memories, Inkadinkado
Inks: VersaFine Clair, Palette Hybrids
Other: Bic Wite-Out pen, Prisma Colored pencil, embossing powder

I chose to use the largest tag from Basic Grey's Urban Couture 12x12 collection instead of die cutting one. I'm looking at it and thinking, why not try ink blending over the pattern? Lots of delicate lines and interesting movement to peek out for depth if I choose a transparent ink. So I pulled out my Palette Hybrids.

First, though, I stamped the Sinister Tree in the middle and clear-heat-embossed it. And I began blending brown inks from the bottom up to the trunk line. I noticed two circular designs on the tag, one yellow-ish that was coincidentally close to the horizon I'd created by stamping the tree. And one up higher in the sky almost up to the tag hole.


That gave me the idea of a setting sun and a rising moon, so I made sure to leave both of them bare enough to see them. I made the ink color blending change at top to a lighter blue so that the moon is dipping out of darker clouds perhaps. And I floated the setting sun in purple blending.

I carefully added white dots to the eyes with my Bic Wite-Out pen but did not do a thing to the whites of his eyes. Love how they stand out by stamping before ink blending the background.

The Happy Haunting graveyard sentiment at bottom was added after I inked the background. I colored the words with a white PrismaColor colored pencil to help it stand out and be readable.

The stamping of the 2 flying bats was done as an afterthought to make it even spookier. I decided not to heat-emboss them. This is a one-layer tag, by the way. And no masking! Gotta love silhouettes!

 This is the back of the tag. I've cut a piece of the same paper as the tag and adhered it to stiff card stock before adhering that to the tag. I inked the exposed edge of the tag back and was going to ink this paper as well, but thenI decided to leave it as is, as a reminder of what the front looked like before inking. I can always ink it later if I decide to decorate it.

Here is one last look at my tag. I REALLY love how it turned out. I think I may have finally done some justice to the Sinister Tree. And how cool was it to ink blend over patterned paper! Definitely doing that again! Also, did you notice I was back to my finger sponge daubers? The Palette Hybrid inks move and blend so much easier than Distress Inks, so for this ink the daubers are just fine and I already have a dauber for every color. The blending brushes are still da bomb, though, just sayin'. ;-)))

CHALLENGES:
1.  Tag Tuesday: Trees
2.  Stamping Sensations October Challenge: Trees and or Leaves or Autumn -- I have a stamped Sinister Tree and Autumn Halloween colors.
3.  Mix It Up Challenge #30: AG + Opt. Open Technique -- I've played the option and my technique is ink blending on patterned paper!
4.  TTCRD Oct. 1-7: AG
5.  Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge #85: 31 Days of Halloween
6.  LTCCB #39: AG
7.  LTSCB #126: No Cards Allowed
8.  Simply Create Too #154: AG + Opt. Spooky/Scary
9.  Aud Sentiments Challenge #237: Halloween/Fall + A Sentiment
10. 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge #31: Always AG with a Critter -- 2 big bats
11. The Creative Crafters Challenge #20: AG
12. Outlawz Festive Fridays Oct. 4-17: Anything Goes theme (Halloween)
13. Try it on Tuesday: Animal Magic - got some magic bats!
14. Crafty Calendar Challenge: October Autumn Colors / Halloween

I appreciate your visit and come again soon! Happy week ahead! xox

27 comments:

brenda said...

You have made a real fun Halloween tag and super depth of colour, many thanks for joining in with our October theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Aimeslee! What a fun tag with that fab haunted tree, nicely scary! Thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated, hugs, Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

That's such a cool tree stamp, and I love the wild and stormy background you've given it.
Alison x

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Aimeslee! You ALWAYS pique my color-curiosity and wow my eyes with your famous backgrounds and color choices. This tag has completely taken me to a new level of color intensity! LOVE IT! Look at the full spectrum of colors, and they all work so gloriously together! That tree image is beyond spooky, and your design and awesome! Thanks so much for sharing the creative process. hugs, de

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous tag the tree is certainly named well brilliant inky background and love the bats.
Carol x

froebelsternchen said...

Wow-- amazing style Aimeslee! Gorgeous!

Inkyfingers said...

What a great Halloween tag, Aimeslee! Love how you inked up the tag and gave the paper so much more interest. That is a fabulously spooky tree.
Hugs
Carol x

Cath Wilson said...

Your colours are fantastic, Aimeslee. Love that combo... and the bats are so atmospheric. I'm so pleased you joined in our Animal Magic Challenge at Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

Meggymay said...

I have been having a catch up tonight and reading your posts that I have missed. All the art projects look fabulous and this tag is amazing. Halloween will soon be here.
Yvonne xx

Joan said...

Love your tag - such an awesome Halloween tree!!! Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday!

Joan said...

Great background and ooh what a scary tree!

Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

Joan

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing Halloween tag! I love how you created the background with the patterned paper and inks - stunning 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Wishing you a happy week! Hugs, Jo x

Tammy said...

WOW Aimeslee this tag is gorgeous! I love the background and that awesome spooky tree with the eyes!!
Tammy x

VEANA R. said...

Amazing Halloween tag ! I just love how you blending it and colours are fantastic. Thanks for sharing your work with us at Mix It Up Challenge Blog. Wish you good luck and hope your return nex month.
Hugs, Veana R.- DT

Sue said...

Oh I love your spooky tag Aimeslee, great fun, and I'm with you on the 'no masking' front. Thank you so much for your visit to my blog, you really must give shaker's another go, they are so effective aren't they. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

My name is Erika. said...

Oh Aimeslee. This is an adorable tag. I love Halloween art, especially art that isn't too scary. This tag is super for our Try It On Tuesday Animal magic challenge. Thanks so much for joining us. Hugs-Erika

KT Fit Kitty said...

Hello, Aimeslee! Just popping in to say hello! Your Halloween tag is so cute and fun! I don't make any Halloween cards or tags so I enjoy seeing them! I love Halloween colours! Your sky looks amazing! Wishing you a great day!

Alex (PinkCraftyMama) said...

Ink over that BG tag looks amazing! I'm about to bust out some BG myself! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards, Alex aka PinkCraftyMama
TTCRD DT
PinkCraftyMama.com {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Alka said...

Beautiful Tag. We love to see you again. Thank you for joining us @The Creative Crafters.DT Alka Acharya

Michele said...

this is spooky and wonderful! xo

Lozzy said...

your tags are fab...love them xx

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous. Love basic grey. Your background is awesome and that tree is just cracking me up. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge. Hugz

Laurie said...

Great Halloween tag! Love the spooky tree stamp and your background is fabulous! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Kathyk said...

Super spooky tag, thank you for sharing it with us over at the Love To Craft Challenge Blog

Kathyk
DT @ LTCCB

Crafting with Darcy said...

Such a pretty background you made for that scary tree! That tree is full of personality!! The large bats are super cool, too!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous Halloween tag Aimeslee, enjoyed seeing the early stages of stamping on the patterned paper, it does make a great background. I love the tree - so scary!
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril x

Helen said...

Great creation - thanks for sharing it with us at the Love to Scrap Challenge Blog.

Helen x