Saturday, October 5, 2019

Flying By With A Halloween Hi

Happy Saturday! I hope you are well. Honey and I both have not been feeling 100% and I for one am ready for that to end! Today I have my first Halloween card of 2019 to share, one that's more friendly than frightful. I make one every year for a certain someone who prefers friendly!


I used TSOT sketch 427 as non-literal inspiration. Since I was making an A2 sized card and was not really concerned about exact measurements, I skipped PSE and printing out for this one.
SUPPLIES:
Paper: Bazzill Black Shimmer cs, Neenah index stock, KIMemories patterned paper
Stamps: Inkadinkado, Impression Obsession, Pink By Design, Crafty Secrets, Leave Memories
Inks: VersaFine Clair Nocturne, Delicata Gold, Palette Hybrids,
Dies: MFT Pinking Edge Rectangle Stax, Stamps of Life Stitched Rectangles
Other: ProMarkers, Copper and Clear embossing powders, gold german scrap border

I stamped, embossed and fussy-cut the scarecrow a long time ago...an experiment using copper embossing powder and a technique for a worn jeans look, that is all I can recall. I had put him aside until today. For some reason, I felt either brave or stubborn enough to figure out how to use him, lol, since he did not look especially spooky or threatening.

I stamped the I/O scarecrow stamp directly on the background first, coloring in silhouette the birds and straw (that are part of the stamp), since I had not fussy-cut them. My ProMarkers were perfect for coloring on this heat-embossed background as they are alcohol markers. I used gluedots to attach the fussy-cut scarecrow on top of his stamped image, allowing his feet to dangle over the gold german scrap border. I added the Crafty Secrets black cat as an afterthought as I found a him bit humorous.

For my DIY background behind the scarecrow, I used a technique I have done before and cannot remember the name of. I wrapped rubber bands around a hard brayer and then applied gold pigment ink to it and brayered it on a piece of index card stock several times. Next I coated the card with clear embossing powder and melted the powder. Then I sponged different colors of inks over it and rubbed off the ink where the embossing created resist. I guess it's called embossed resist, but I thought using the rubber-banded brayer made it a different tech? Anyway, that is what I did to get that fab background which I like a lot.

I chose the Halloween paper by those background colors as the paper picks them up and pops them a bit, especially against the black card base. I used my rectangle dies to cut out a frame with the patterned paper. Love how the MFT pinking edge die fits right inside the stitched rectangle frame. The little black "border" between pops the colors. I have so much old Halloween paper. This is some very old KIMemories 12x12 shimmery scrapbook paper. I apparently did some extremely heavy scrapbook supply shopping 2005-2007, and again 2009-2011. Shouldn't say never, but I literally will never use it all yet I cannot part with it. I might just use it m you never know, HAHAHA. True packrat mentality! As I tell my Honey, it may all be junk, but it's MY junk! hahaha

On the inside of my card, I lined it with some very old scrapbook card stock as the Bazzill card base tends to warp. Paper on either side stiffens it up. I did stray a bit from "friendly" but even these images aren't that frightful. It's Halloween, after all! Stamps are Inkadinkado and Pink By Design.

This is the KIMemories paper on the back and a very old old siggie stamp that I cannot find who made. I am guessing Leave Memories since it is rubber.

A final look....  It feels good to get the first Halloween card done. Now to just fit in a few more...

CHALLENGES:
1.  Try Stampin on Tuesday Sketch Challenge 427 - sketch shown above and I did NOT play the option.
2.  Outlawz Monday Greetings Sept. 30-Oct. 14: Greetings + AG
3.  Paper Babe Stamps Challenge #103: Photo Inspiration
4.  Your Scrapbook Place October Challenge: Always AG
5.  Mix It Up Oct. Challenge #30: AG + Opt. Open Technique -- I've played the option. My technique is Embossed Resist with the rubber-banded brayer.
6.  Send a Smile 4 Kids Oct. Challenge: AG or Celebrations 4 Kids
7.  Paper Girls Challenge #184: AG
8.  2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge #31: AG with a Critter -- Ok, is a scarecrow a mythical critter? It's not human, just looks that way. I'm going to say it's a critter! (Plus 3 birds and a cat) 
9.  A Vintage Journey October Challenge: Inky Wings -- Easing into this challenge, hope to do another piece more focused later in the month, but this'll do pig for now! :-)))
10. More Mixed Media Challenge: October AG + Opt. Orange -- my card is mixed media, but I feel I've also played the orange option, especially if you include the back of my card. ;-)))
11. ABMTTC #101: Always AG
12. Aud Sentiments Challenge #237: Halloween/Fall + A Sentiment
13. LTCCB #39: October AG
14. Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge #85: 31 Days of Halloween 
15. I Love ProMarkers Challenge #394: AG + Opt. Autumn/Halloween -- I've played the option and coloured everything I stamped with black and grey ProMarkers (birds, cat, scarecrow).
16. Show Us Your PussyCats Challenge #47: Meow-loween
17. Crafty Hazelnuts Patterned Paper Challenge : October AG + PP
18. Try It On Tuesday: Animal Magic - Scarecrows are a little bit magic, no? I've got birds and a cat, too. ;-))

Thanks as always so much for visiting me! Hope your weekend is yummy! xoxo

22 comments:

Donna Scholz said...

Great Halloween card inside and out, Aimeslee! You even decorated the back!!! Love the colors and the spooky stamps inside. Thank you for joining us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday!!! -Donna

froebelsternchen said...

Great colours and wonderful staps combined and decorated masterful in and out, wow!.
Thank you beyond belief for supporting Try it on Tuesday again dear Aimeslee.
Happy Sunday!
Susi xxx

Annie said...

Hi Aimslee x It's lovely to have you hop on board with us at A Vintage Journey for our Inky Wings challenge theme. I love the background on your friendly Halloween card. The scarecrow and those cute birds, with their inky wings, are so sweet.
Best Wishes and we look forward to viewing another project

Best Wishes
Annie CG x

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Very cool card Aimes. I am very intrigued by your background. Thank you for sharing the prcoess for making it. I love this scarecrow. The inside is just as cool. Happy Haunting--Bethie

crafty-stamper said...

Great friendly Halloween card and love all the stamps and the fact you decorate the backs of your cards too
Carol x

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a super autumn card. I like scarecrows. Now you start to see so many creative versions in real life, but there is something to be said for the traditional view. Thanks so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday Aimeslee. Happy October. Hugs-Erika

Heather said...

What a pretty way to play with color - so many cool embossing techniques here - I am fascinated by that background! Thanks so much for playing at TSOT!

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful card! I love your inky background and crows that you created for our challenge, they work wonderfully with your friendly scarecrow design 😀. The witch on her broomstick inside caught my eye too - fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey, so wonderful of you to join us! Wishing you a happy new week! Hugs, Jo x

Anne Buckingham said...

Nice card for Halloween and Fall. Especially like the dies used in edges of paper. Thank you for playing with us at 2CCC.

Alyson Mayo said...

Just love that background - thanks for the explanation of how you did it. This is a terrific Halloween card and it's awesome that you finished the inside of the card as well (most people don't do that). Thanks for sharing with us at TSOT :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Your card is perfect for our Animal Magic theme too 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Tammy said...

What a colorful and fun Halloween card Aimeslee and I love the inside!!
Tammy x

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous background. Very cool scarecrow. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge. Hugz

Laurie said...

Fun Halloween card - love the scarecrow and your background is great! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge.

Meggymay said...

Thank you for sharing this awesome Halloween card with us at TioT's. Its a great design for the theme.
Yvonne xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Aimeslee and I do like the background for your scarecrow. As usual I love the inside as much as the outside.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril x

Hi! I'm Shirley and said...

Love everything about this card! Thanks for joining us at the Outlawz Monday Greetings Challenge.

ike said...

How fabulous - he is such a cute scarecrow and I LUV that coloured background. Thank you for purring along to play at SUYP Cats Challenges.
Hugz
IKE =^..^=

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog
FB Fan Page
Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

Sandra Wright. said...

Super card..and I just love your scarecrow...Thank you for playing along in our challenge at More Mixed Media.
I hope you are beginning to feel better now...x

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at MIU, good luck!!! Amy DT

Words and Pictures said...

I love your friendly scarecrow - though he doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of scaring away the birds - and the colours are fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x

chanya13 said...

Beautiful card.
Thank you so much for taking part in our Love to Craft Challenge Blog.
Agnieszka chanya13 DT