Friday, August 23, 2019

So 'Mush' Love for You

Howdy-Ho! TGIF again...is it just me, or do the weeks wizz by at lightning speed? I have been working on our son-in-love's birthday card for 2 days seems like, and I'm happy to get it finished to share with you. This was one of those cards I had trouble forming a clear plan for. Although I had more latitude (he's a dream, loves everything, quite metrosexual), I wanted it to be a clever, light-hearted message. And mushrooms were the first idea I had! Really? LOL, okay, let's go with it. So it was get an idea, find stamps, come up with a way to do it, wash, rinse, repeat. I guess that's why it took me so long to finish but I did enjoy the process!

Papers/Card Stocks: Kraft card base, solid red paper scraps, DCWV 4.5x6.5 Matt Stax patterned paper
Stamps: Sweet Stamp Shop Alpha Tabs, Lawn Fawn Clark's ABCs, Altenew Love You So Mush mushroom and sentiments, Inkadinkado Snail, Third Coast Stamps Fairy Ring, Chatterbox Botanico mushroom, Stamp Magick Toadily siggie
Inks: Memento, VersaFine Clair
Dies: Spellbinders Classic and Torn Edge Ovals
Other: Embossing powder, Sakura glitter gel pen, Fiskars circle punch

  
I used Crazy 4 Challenges current sketch, resizing it in PSE to 5x7 and printing out. Don't ask me why, but I chose to use oval instead of circle elements. And I like them. :-) 

 I found 2 papers that had the same little circles pattern, one gray beige, one gray brown. So I used both, as mushrooms are usually somewhat grey, somewhat brown.

I used my ProMarkers to color the fairy ring and also this ridiculously cute snail that I fussy cut and placed in the ring.

 Here you see the mushroom patterned paper peeking out on each side. Read on about this paper..

I have absolutely zilch in the way of mushroom patterned paper. So, I made my own! I used the cutest little mushroom stamp, solid with little holes. I marked off my paper to know what would be showing, then I stamped the mushroom in gray ink. Then I went back and stamped over random ones with brown ink and black ink. As for the middle panel, I stamped the fairy ring and sentiment, and I was going to blend some inks on the panel so I cut a mask but ended up not doing that.

I used my Poppy Red ProMarker to color the mushroom holes on my paper. I pulled out some alpha tab stamps and stamped words on the gray beige paper scraps. That's another thing I've been doing the last couple of cards: using my alphabet stamps. Again, no plan to beforehand, just had the urge.

 You can hardly see the stamped mushrooms on the ovals under the sentiments, so this is what they looked like before assembly. Probably should have used a little darker ink...

I really do like my diy patterned paper on this card. The red pops it. There's a lot going on here so the bold red and dark browns help ground the card, I think. I do think it might have helped to have incorporated a little green in my diy paper...they say you should never use a color in just one place.

On the inside of my card, I combined sentiments as per my usual. And I lucked out a bit with the last one. Magic Mushrooms, get it? I stamped the little mushroom from my patterned paper on front very lightly in Memento Desert Sand around the plays on words. Again, a bit darker ink would have been better.

The back of my card features scraps leftover from the front and the siggie I recently began using again when I need a punny one. And, mushrooms are also called toadstools. :-)


HELLO THERE!
So proud of the eye job I did on him, with gel pens, after reading a great tip HERE.


CHALLENGES:
3.  The House That Stamps Built Challenge DCC A719: Try a New Technique - I tried the eye tip on my snail. I also tried making my own patterned paper.
4.  The House That Stamps Built Challenge A1419: Tic Tac Toe - I chose Dimension (I popped my sentiment strips and multiple paper layers) + Food (mushrooms and escargot) + Bright Colors (red, green, yellow, brown).   
7.  Cutie Pie Challenge #138: Fave Color Combo - Love Red and Brown together
8.  Try It On Tuesday: In My Garden There Is... - In my Garden, there's mushrooms and snails. :-)
9.  Moo Mania #198: Letters And/or Numbers - I used my alphabet stamps to make words for my sentiments.
10.  I Love ProMarkers #391: AG with ProMarkers - I used them to color my images.

Thanks so much for allowing me to share my creativity with you! Have a great Friday! XOX

19 comments:

Inkyfingers said...

What an awesome guy card, Aimeslee! You really rocked it here with that fabulous mushroom paper and the cute little snail in the fairy ring. Love the fun sentiments too and I'm sure the lucky recipient will love it.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs
Carol x

Donna Ellis said...

Awwww, cutest little snail, Aimeslee! Your colors are extra pretty, making it a great creation for any age and either gender! Wonderful creation. So glad I got to see your critter project showcased at the 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Challenge. Hope to see more of your creations in the future.
Crafty Smiles,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a super cute card. I like the little snail. Thanks Aimeslee for linking it up with us at Try It On Tuesday. hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

So utterly beautiful Aimeslee !
Thank you for joining Try it on Tuesday and Moo Mania &More! Much appreciated! Happy weekend!
Susi xxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous card! I love all the mushroom detail that you created and the snail has the most wonderful eyes ...lol 😉. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic design for a male card, so much detail and things to look at. Thank you for linking to our theme over at Try it on Tuesdays, your support is appreciated.
Yvonne xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Super cute mushroom theme! I love the sentiment and the snail! This is fantastic!

crafty-stamper said...

Great card Aimeslee love the mushroom borders and little snail..Thank you for joining us at Colour Crazy
Carol DT x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I meant to stop by sooner, Aimeslee. Your card is adorable. I followed along each step and was SO impressed with your step out photos. I was happy to see how you treated the eyes and the tip you got from Beccy. Really clever. All around a fabulous card.

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Aimeslee just popping back to say-Thank you for joining us at Love To Craft
Carol DT x

Anita in France said...

Oh my, what a wonderfully quirky escargot, Aimeslee ... so at home amid the mushrooms ... such a fun card! Anita :)

Marjut said...

Lovely card. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

Heather said...

This is so fun!! It may have taken a while, but I know he will love it! The sentiments are so perfect! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic card.

Mrs.B said...

Hi Aimeslee, I love this card, it's a wonderful theme and the quotes you used are fabulous. Love all the attention to detail, and I enjoyed seeing the process pictures, so worth the effort, I'm sure your SIL will love it.
So pleased you shared this with us at Try it on Tuesday, Hugs, Avril xx

Rosie said...

A wonderful card

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Esther Asbury said...

WOW! There's a lot of detain in your fun card! Thanks for playing along in my "Try a New Technique" challenge over on THTSB!

Mimi said...

Oh what an awesome card you son is going to just love this :) :) :) Fabulous walk through on all your processing and a brilliant read too :) Thank you for joining us at I ❤️Promarkers. Hugs Mimi xx

Sarah said...

I am liking this colour combo. Thank you for joining in at The Cutie Pie Challenge. Sarah DT