Thursday, June 6, 2019

School Days

Hallo, Blogging Mates! I've been gone a whole week! Did ya miss me? :-))) Well, I missed y'all so even though my Mrs.Thing Muse decided she needed a lil break, I worked on making something that's been sitting in my UFAPs (Un Finished Art Projects) for way too long.

This is an 8x8 Deco for my home decorations. I have several easels and hanging displays in my home and not enough of these Decos. It's definitely for Back to School in August but I made it ambiguous enough to use in May as well for School's Out for Summer. Reading is something kids should do all year long, including Summer, like brushing their teeth. So since reading is the focus of this piece, it can do double duty, at least until I get a dedicated piece made for School's Out.

The Back
The background base is the chipboard backing of a Graphics 45 8x8 paper pad. I used Paper Mod Podge to adhere a sheet from Cosmo Cricket's Summer Love to the back. (Don't yet know what I'm going to do on the back. Maybe nothing, maybe another collage.) Then I adhered a piece to the front side from a 12x12 sheet by Karen Foster of school lockers. I cut it to 8x8 first.

The Background
I wanted a mixed media grungy timeworn look, so I thought I would play with embossing powders. While letting that dry well, I hunted through my stamps and found border stamps and grungy background element stamps to help me "age" the lockers because they looked like they were brand new and I wanted them well-used with rust, dirt, engraved graffiti and stains.  I used rubber and clear stamps from Technique Tuesday, Papertrey Ink, Crafters Companion, Deep Red, Kaisercraft, Stampers Anonymous and Red Rubber Designs.

I began with the top border stamping in Versa Mark and then heat-embossing with Seth Apter Chunky Rust EP (which is almost an orange color and went well with my other orange elements). I then stamped a drip border image in VersaFine Clair Fallen Leaves ink and heat-embossed it in clear EP. I continued to stamp in Fallen Leaves ink around the other three edges with a grungy border stamp and heat emboss in clear EP.

I also worked on the center of the background, stamping various grungy texture element stamps to produce the worn look I was wanting. I stamped in VersaFine Clair Morning Mist this time and heat-embossed in clear EP.  I then took my black Posca paint pen and went around the edges with the chisel tip. I left the piece to rest and dry while gathering my next elements to adhere.

I stamped my quotes, sentiment and images in VersaFine Clair Fallen Leaves, heat-embossed in clear EP and set aside. I had a #8 tag stamped with my focal image, Mo Manning's Pssst Dania and Taylor
stamp already done in my UFAPs just waiting to be colored so I did, with my ProMarkers. Then, I cut down the tag to a 2" width and used my SU Tag Topper punch to cut a tag top. I used a cut piece of Lawn Fawn patterned paper (row of books) behind my tag and a smaller strip on the tag bottom and a Kraft strip with School Days stamped and embossed. I took snippets of Kraft card stock from my scraps stash and stamped all of the sentiment quotes and the round images with VersaFine Clair ink, die cut the round images using Avery Elle's Signatures die, colored with my ProMarkers, arranged my collage and adhered with ScorTape.

Some close-up shots and a final view with the challenges I am entering it in ---







CHALLENGES:
1.  A Vintage Journey: Book It!
2.  Art Journal Journey June: Words To Live By
3.  Try it on Tuesday: Make a Mark
4.  Colour Crazy Challenge Wk. 21: AG with Colouring - I've colored with ProMarkers all illustrations.
5.  Through The Craft Room Door for Jun 4-10: AG
6.  Paperbabe Challenge #94: AG
7.  Outlawz Monday Greetings + Flower or Ribbon
8.  Jo's Scrap Shack Challenge #284: AG

That's all for me this time. Thanks very much for dropping by to visit. Have a fabulous day! xoxox

15 comments:

Art by Zowie Dixon said...

What a fabulous and unique creation, I love this! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
Hugs, Zowie.
TTCRD DT
Crafts from the Fairy Den {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Cath Wilson said...

My goodness, Aimeslee - you put SO much work into this - especially that grunged up locker, which turned out amazingly - then covered it up! Lol, the things we do, but they matter to us, n'est-ce-pas? Very thorough piece of art :-) Lots of details and lovely book related words. I agree, reading should be encouraged as often as brushing teeth, lol - I LOVE reading :-)
Cath x

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous deco project! I love the locker background that you created, the grungy metal look with the distressing and marks looks amazing 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Jo x

Meggymay said...

Wow, so much work and so much to see, it is an awesome project, with great colour effects.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us over at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

That's one amazing creation Aimeslee! Gorgeous! I love all the details and quotes! So happy you linked this terrific project to Try It On Tuesday as well as to Art Journal Journey! Thank you very much for joining in at the challenges!
Happy weekend !
Big hugs, Susi

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

You are so very talented Aimes. I love the background and tag. So many darling things to look at.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

A wonderful piece of art. I like how many elements you added to it. I think that adds to the charm as you can spend some time looking at each little detail and saying.

Halle said...

Wow! I love how you created the background on the lockers. Very inspiring!
Thanks for linking up with AJJ!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was blown away by how you transformed those G45 papers to this incredible school related art. This is absolutely incredible. You gave us such a wonderful spread and showed so much attention to detail. I love the grunge, too. Thanks for sharing this with us at Art Journal Journey, dear.

Mrs.B said...

WOW this is fabulous Aimeslee, there's so many details and quotes I love it. The grunge you added to the locker background is brilliant and makes a great base for all the additions you added.
I like your intro of Mrs Thing Muse deciding she needed a break - I wonder if she went off with mine!
Off for some catching up now, but must say Thanks for sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesday, Avril xx

Sharon Fritchman said...

WOW, Aimeslee! Your work of art is absolutely amazing, so creative, and totally wonderful. I love, LOVE all of the quotes and words to live by regarding books, too! Thanks for sharing your talent and creative process with all of us at Art Journal Journey. Hugs, Sharon

Marjeta said...

You are very creative. Gorgeous project. Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Crazy.

Marjut said...

beautiful project. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

Aunty Sue said...

Such a lovely card beautifully made thanks for sharing at Colour Crazy good luck.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous piece Aimeslee I love this image and great colouring and backing elements
carol x