Wednesday, February 27, 2019

When You Accidentally Disobey the Sketch...

Hiya, folks. I'm sharing a card today that I think turned out decently enough, but makes a fine illustration about punting when you screw up!


Ok, had you not seen the sketch, or had you not looked closely at the sketch, you'd probably be wondering what screw-up? The very moment that I glued that second strip down along the border of the dark red mat instead of a half-inch to the left, I knew I'd messed up and the double-sided tape wouldn't let me pull it up without taking some of the mat with it. Committed. So, I punted and made the third strip the only one not flush-right.

Supplies Used:
Sketch by Lucy Chesna of My Sketch World
SU card stock
Patterned card stock: Teresa Collins by Junkitz Love Line (very old)
Bugaboo Digital Image "Love Ewe", hand coloured with Promarkers
Sentiments created in PSE
Avery Elle Elle-ments Flag Die
Stash items: round paper lace, enamel dots and hearts

The Bugaboo digital ewe image was layered onto the focal point of another sketch in PSE and then printed out. That sketch was from Bugaboo's Stella Says Sketch a couple of challenges back. One that I never got around to finishing by the deadline -- story of my life. That sketch even had the two half-round circles on either side and I had pulled the little paper circle out to use for it. Anyway, I thought that frame looked good, so I kept the ewe in it and kept the half-circles too. I think they add interest and texture, and actually lessen the weirdness of my strips some. Then, because my focal is much bigger than the one in the sketch, I added the 3 heart dots for balance. I created all the sentiments in PSE and printed out on card stock, then cut them into strips.

   
Here is the inside of my card and the back. I kept the word strips going from the front. I used an AE flag die to cut the siggie stamp out for the back.

When I coloured my ewe image, I was conducting an experiment of sorts. I've had a theory that with markers, the warm greys have a tinge of brown in them and the cool and ice greys maybe a teeny tad of blue, but no brown. Here I colored the ewe's fur with the warm greys and then outlined in a darker cool grey. And I could see it! Then I took my lightest ice grey and coloured the background. I think it makes the image pop more than if it were just white. Plus, I needed some grey on the card. The ewe's eyes stand out and so do the sentiments. And the white paper circles pick up on that.


Challenges Linked To:
4. Bugaboo February Photo Inspiration Challenge - I used the red and white and grey colors
5. More Mixed Media February: AG + Optional RED - I have used the optional red
8. Colour Crazy Wk 7: Always AG with Colouring - I coloured my focal image with Promarkers
10. Scrapbook Stamp Society #159: AG + Opt. Not Square - I did optional, mine is rectangle
14. Crazy 4 Challenges c4c472: Put A Pet On Card - Mine's a pet ewe (well, people do have them!)
15. 613 Avenue Create #218: AG + Opt. Twist Use a Critter - I took the twist, my critter's a ewe

I hope you liked my card and I thank you for visiting today!! 

XOXOX 





12 comments:

Dawn Sirdefield said...

Love that cute image and your layout is fab. Love the little hearts, perfect finishing touch. Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create this time. Hope to see you again next time too.
Dawn DT xxxx

Crafting with Darcy said...

This is adorable, Aimeslee! I love the sheep on the front and the inside is so cute!! I think you did a great job experimenting with the neutral markers! Thanks for posting your card at the Outlawz Festive Friday's Challenge!
Hugs!

Sheila H said...

I think you did a great job with the sketch. Your card is really cute and quite fun. We're happy you joined us at 613 Avenue Create.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I think it's perfect just the way it is, and doesn't look far off the sketch. Your doilies are fun and so is that darn cute sheep.

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

Don't be so hard on yourself.. I see nothing wrong with this.. sketches are merely a guide to be interpreted.. We have all made mistakes, myself included, and continue on with the project trying to go around the said mistake.. you have done a great job. My hubs always says 'if you had not mentioned it, I would never have noticed '.. (^_^) .. This is a B-ewe-tiful card overall. I love your coloring and the colors you chose.. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Jo's Fun Friday. AJ DT JFF

Dawn Frost said...

I think you followed the sketch perfectly, great card! Thanks for joining Catch the Bug's photo challenge, good luck! Dawn Bugaboo DT

KT Fit Kitty said...

I think it's close enough - the sketch doesn't have to be exact but I know what you mean as I've done that before as well! The image is adorable and I love that cute sentiment!

Loose Stitches said...

Adorable creation! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters. We hope to see you again.
~ DT Sherry x

Kate 'Rijacki' Ledum said...

Fabulous! Your flub just makes it endearing. I also love how you finished the inside and back. Lovely attention to detail

Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
Regards,
Rijacki

TTCRD DT
Rijacki's Workshop
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Patty Sue 2 said...

This is adorable! I love this cute sheep! Thank you for joining us at THe Creative Crafters! Please join us again!

monique said...

sweeetcard thanks for playing along at the scrapbook stamp society and good luck gr monique DTmember

KarinsArtScrap said...

very cute card

Thanks for join us at
{ScrapbookStampSociety DT Member}
Hope to see you again and goodluck

Greetings Karin DT Coördinator