Thursday, February 21, 2019

A Tale of Two Pretties

Happy Thursday! I'm sharing two projects today that are related. The first project is part of the second project. I made a 4x6 artist post card and then used it on a card. First, the 4x6 artist post card:

Africa was the theme at The Three Muses, where the Linky is still open so that latecomers can play.

Supplies Used:
OD Index card stock
Sweet n Sassy Landscape Silhouette Stamp
Distress Inks
Circle Punch for sun mask
Promarkers
Inktense pencils
Wink of Stella Yellow
Pentel Black Brush Pen
I began by stamping the landscape silhouette, then punching a circle on sticker paper and applying it to my card stock, then using the round Tim Tool foam ink applicator to apply my Distress Inks in assorted orange-y shades. I did my best to make streaks across the sky.
I made the foreground too dark at first, so had to work and work to get more orange in that area. I dried each layer of color with my heat tool. I then removed the sun mask and colored it with my Promarkers in a light dull yellow. Then I added some glitter to the sun with my Wink of Stella pen. Lastly, I continued the streaks I'd made in the sky across the sun with the Inktense pencils on the slightly dampened surface, rubbing scross with my finger. I
When I felt it was finished, I re-stamped the silhouette, I then scanned the piece and opened it in PSE. I made a black border and added the Africa text in PSE.
To say I love how it turned out would be an understatement. I'm thinking if someone who has written a book about Africa needs a great cover, I'm their girl hahaha.

Linking to these Challenges:
1. Three Muses: Africa
________________________________________________________________

Okay, so what did I do with my Africa artist post card?

  
I made this birthday card with it. I've used the current Outlawz Challenge Sketch, pretty straight-forwardly, even though it may not appear that way because it's basically a monochromatic color scheme - different shades of orange with dramatic black/dark brown accenting.

If you are familiar with VersaFine Clair colors, you may know that their darkest brown, Fallen Leaves, is very very very close to black. Their black, Nocturne, is a very nice true black. Fallen Leaves is what I used everywhere on this card. The only true black used was the 4x6 mat for my artist post card. And I did that because my take on orange is that it is naturally and usually a middle bridge color between yellow and brown, so I thought it a better choice over black. But then, I did not have a brown card stock as dark as that ink, so I used black. At any rate, I can see the difference and I like the look of the ink with the orange. It could also be I don't like to pair orange and black up unless it's Halloween. :-)

Supplies Used:
4x6 Artists Post card made earlier (see above)
Colormates / SU / Bazzill card stocks
Handmade woven mulberry paper
DCWV patterned paper
Stamps: Gerda Steiner, Sweet n Sassy
Inks: VersaFine Clair
Dies: Gerda Steiner, Clear Dollar, Spellbinders Nesties
Stash items: lace seam binding, glitter ribbon

Here you can see the weave texture and pattern on the handmade paper which looks brown but is a burnt orange color. It reminded me of Africa (what I know of it without actually having been there).
I distressed the edge of the orange patterned paper on the bottom layer of the front and back of the card.

I combined two of Gerda's stamp and die sets -- Party Animals and Go Wild! I decided to stamp and die cut all the little characters and the sentiment out of a lighter color of orange card stock that reminded me of my favorite childhood ice cream bar, Dreamsicle. I'm glad I did that, the lighter contrast helps them be seen because this is a rather busy card. I decided not to color the images because it looked more monochromatic that way.

 
Here are the inside and back of my card. You can see the handmade paper very well on the back. About the lace seam binding: I chose it for its rich orange color. I don't have that much orange ribbon. I see now it looks a little funny on what is a juvenile or cartoon version of a masculine card. Oh well, it also isn't that noticeable and has a pattern. It always astounds me what I do NOT think of beforehand, even though I've been making cards for over a decade.

I hope you liked my card! I think these stamps are adorable...and a little snarky too.

Challenges Linked to:
1. Cutie Pie #132: One for the Boys
2. Gerda Steiner Monthly Share: Share Your Design Feb. 2019
3. Rainbow Card Challenge #2: Orange Opulence
4. Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies
5. CHNPPC February Challenge: AG with Patterned Paper
6. Sparkles Monthly Challenge #113: Include an Animal
7. TTCRD for Week of Feb. 19: AG
8. Scrap Stamp Society #158: AG + Optional Birthday - mine's a birthday card
9. 2 Crafty Critter Crazies #23: AG with a Critter
10. Outlawz Wednesday Sketch Challenge: Feb. 20-Mar. 5

Thanks for dropping by! See ya soon! xoxo

13 comments:

Basslady said...

this is so stylish!

thank you so much for playing along with us at sparkles monthly!

hugs and kisses from germany,
Silvi xoxo

Meggymay said...

Awesome hot African colours and a fantastic project, I love the card you created using the the postcard as well.
Yvonne xx

sue t. said...

It's a cold day here in Pennsylvania, but your orange made me nice and warm. Love how you turned your postcard into a card. Thanks for joining us at The Rainbow Card Challenge!!

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, these are absolutely gorgeous! Those sunsets are brilliant!

Jeanie Ellis - Scrapbookingmamaw said...

Oh wow! Its gorgeous! You did the streaks perfectly!
Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
TTCRD DT
Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

This is so beautiful!! Love your take on the sketch!!
Thanks for Joining us in the Sketch challenge on The Outlawz!!

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous card
Thanks for join us at
{ScrapbookStampSociety DT Member}
Hope to see you again and goodluck

Greetings Karin DT Coördinator

Em Louise Fairley said...

I could not love this any more than I do! Why? Because you've captured two of my favorite things, elephants and sunset, while entering our challenge. Thanks for joining us at the Rainbow Card Challenge, and I hope we see you again soon.
Em, DT

Mynn xx said...

This is SO cool! I love the layering you did! Fabulous creation! Thank you for joining us at The Rainbow Card Challenge! I hope you join us again soon! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Sparkles, good luck!!! Amy DT

Pat K said...

Lovely birthday card. Thanks for joining us at The Cutie Pie Challenge. Pat K xx

Sue Nicholson said...

A great card for one of the boys cards, thanks for joining us at Cutie Pie Challenge cheers Sue x

Paddington fan said...

What a fabulous card! Thank you for joining our animal challenge over at Sparkles this month, I do hope you'll join us again very soon,
Love Jacky x
Sparkles DT