Saturday, January 12, 2019

Saturday Card Share

 It's the middle of the weekend and I hope you are having fun, whatever it is you are doing. 

I am sharing another Asian-inspired card today. a birthday card for family. 

My card found its start like my last Asian card did, with a previously-made embossed panel. I originally thought to leave the panel white, but then changed my mind once I figured out what colorant to use in order to control the application of color to the lanterns in a precise manner: Sakura Gel Pens!

Supplies Used:
Recollections Heavy Card Stock (white)
Red Asian bead-dotted handmade patterned paper from my stash
Scrap of Gold Paper from stash
Cuttlebug Asian Bundle Embossing Folder - A2 Lanterns
Spellbinders A2 Tranquil Moments Label die
MFT Stamps - outside sentiment
Avery Elle and Papertrey Ink Stamps - inside sentiments 
Miscellaneous: Red and gold print Washi Tape, Sakura Gold Shadow and Stardust Metallic gel pens, gold seals, Siren Smooch ink

  
I used this sketch. I flipped it vertically and then lowered the sentiment area a little to accommodate my embossed panel, I did not want to cover up those lanterns, heehee. I made it a 5x7 card in order to still have room down there to put the label over the A2 panel. 

Here's the inside of the card. I used Ranger Tree Branch Archival ink.

 
And the back of the card. Even though the homemade paper is a bit of a pain being mulberry-like with little tiny beads fused in, I love the stuff!

I wanted to highlight the lanterns to be seen better, so I wanted it to be very precise, and Sakura Gel Pens performed beautifully. I used a reddish gold shadow metallic for the red coloring in, of the hanging lines and a few of the lanterns, and a gold star dust metallic for outlining the lanterns and coloring a few of those in. Left some white but outlined and the recessed portions painted.

Here you can see the shimmer and shine and sparkle that the gel penning produced. I was happy that the sentiment I wanted to use fit great on this skinny label die cut. I had to use this one among all my label dies because it passes great for Asian, but also it's a bit skinny, so finding the perfect sentiment I could stamp on it was yummy gravy!

So, what do you think? Have I created a sophisticated piece? The person it's going to demands a certain level of it. Puns and corn don't cut it with her. If not, send it back, I'm loving how it turned out!

Challenges for my Red Asian Birthday Card:
(My fun technique is coloring / painting my lanterns with gel pens)
Loving how my card turned out! Loving the power of Sakura Gel Pens!

Thanks for dropping by! I hope art touches your life today!
xoxo







1 comment:

Susan Renshaw said...

Love the lanterns!
Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
Susan
DT for Mixed Media
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!