Monday, August 13, 2018

Golden Gilded Cages

Hello again! Just popping in to share my latest ScriptureDex Rolo card, as I am trying to get caught up with these. This one is for the -gasp- current challenge, but I think I have 5 more previous ones to be completely caught up.

This week's challenge theme at Think Monday Think ATC is Golden (gilded) Cage. Include one on your ATC or Rolo. Well, I immediately thought of this poem, which is one of my favorite poems from one of my favorite poets:

LOVE so much about it, but one is the vivid imagery Angelou conjers up, by comparing the free bird and the caged bird, thereby letting you really feel how a caged bird feels and ergo why he opens his throat to sing.

So, I showed the contrast of a flock of free birds flying with a bird in a gilded cage, wanting to be free like the others. I heat-embossed the stamped cage first, to create a resist for the sponged-on distress inks. Then I stamped the flock in archival ink after sponging the distress inks with my Tim tool..  
Usually, I print out any text I do not have a stamp for on paper or card stock, but just for grins this time I decided to scan in my Rolo, open it up in PSE and then type in where I wanted the text of the verse to go, and then I printed out the Rolo with my inkjet printer on a 4x6 matte photo card (one of the many extras you get when you have an Epson PictureMate and have to buy the ink and paper kit.)

Then I cut out my verse text line by line and re-assembled on my real Rolo. The coloring was a bit off but I do love that the colored text strips blend into my Rolo background. Did not even realize until afterward that I could have chosen ANY color for the text, lol. Oh well, next time!

For the Rolo back, I heat-embossed my stamp images as well. I tried sprinkling some navy blue ep and then some green and melting it all at once. Turned out imperfectly cool, I thought. But I needed a little more so I found a flourish stamp with musical notes and heat embossed that in yellow. So, this is what my card looked like after creating my ep resist before sponging with distress inks.

...and after sponging with distress inks! A few torn bits of washi on front and back and done. The deep vivid colors and lush vegetation reminds me of summer, too.

The challenges I am joining with this Rolo:
1. Think Monday Think ATC - GOLDEN (GILDED) CAGE
3. Take A Word Challenge - SILHOUETTE
4. Moo Mania Challenge - SUMMERTIME
5. Try it on Tuesday - INSPIRED BY A SONG
6. A Vintage Journey August Challenge - HOW CAN YOU RESIST?

I thank you very much for visiting me and allowing me to share my art with you! 

I hope we all have a cool, dry, artistic week ahead! I plan to make that happen for me by staying in the a/c and making art as much as possible! 

Oh, and we finally got all our retirement paperwork and financial advisor visits done for the time being and I couldn't be happier about that! 

See ya again soon, xoxoxo

No comments: