Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Altering Mona

Hullo, blog folk! Popping in to share this 4x6 that I created on Fabriano 140# hot press wc paper. I call her Mona WarhoLisa!

This all began with a blog challenge to alter Mona Lisa over at Sunday Postcard Art. Turns out it fits a handful of other challenges / themes, too.
Long ago I'd bought a Mona rubber stamp set appropriately called Mona Fragged haha from Ma Vinci Reliquary and hardly ever used any of the stamps. I pulled them out and the long strip of Monas (top right) called to me. I inked it up with various colors of Memento dew drops - quite easy to do as long as you begin with the lightest color.

I added the teal coloring to the borders with alcohol marker and then thought, gee I sure wish I had a phrase stamp that was that long and just one line and referred somehow to the visual image here. I searched through all my phrase stamps and in the last case was the phrase "be the change you wish to see in the world". Wow, perfect! In fact, it gave meaning to the art piece for me. I love when that kind of serendipity happens, right?

Anyway, I've been reading about abstract art and all the mutations of meanings and definitions it has gone through. And I revisited Warhol, who is credited with making pop art, graphic art and photography legitimate art forms through the incarnation of making them avante garde. I made my Monas different colors in homage to Warhol's color technique, hence my naming her Mona WarhoLisa.

I am linking up this 4x6 Mona WarhoLisa card to the following challenges:

Sunday Post Card Art Challenge: Alter Mona - I have cloned and Warhol-ized her.

Moo Mania Challenge: Think of Spring - When I chose my Memento colors, I was thinkin' of Spring!

Fashionable Stamping Challenge #132: One for the Girls - Mona's a girl and the text is uplifting for all girls!

Thanks for coming to visit and for letting me share my art!

No comments: