Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Do Something You're Bad At!

...aka Do Something You Suck At! haha.
For me, that would definitely be watercoloring. As the photos that decorate this post show only too well (I got my supplies out the other day and just played without any kind of expectations), I have absolutely no control over any of it. All I can really do is paint stripes, lol.
It downright bugs me, sometimes. I cannot control the water. I cannot control the brush. Or my strokes, which is important. I seriously do not know what I am doing when it comes to watercoloring.
So, I'm gonna take a (free!) Strathmore class in Watercolor Sketching taught by the talented Cathy Johnson, beginning Thursday, March 1st.
And YOU too can take the class -- hurry over and sign up -- yes, it is free. Although there is a supply list, it's not that extensive or picky and can be easily substituted for the most part with onhand supplies if necessary.
Sketching would also be something I'm not that great at, so two birds: meet my stone. haha. No, I'm not going into it with the goal of becoming an awesome watercolorist or sketcher. In all honestly, I'm just hoping to try to decide if I ever could get any better at all in either technique.
I became acutely aware of these *deficiencies* in my "repertoi-arte" (repertoire of artistic abilities) back in January while attempting Traci Bautista's class, and it likely contributed to my feeling so uncomfortable. (I like to do what I choose to do well, or at least well enough to be proud of it.)
So,  I challenge you to explore a technique or medium that you're not that great at, whether it be taking a class or following the techniques in a book or a YouTube video. And don't try to be good or expect to be great at it. Just try to BE in its moment and enjoy the experience. Keep it as simple and basic as you can...this increases enjoyment and reduces stress. And remember these words:
We fail more often  
by timidity  
than by over-daring.
~David Grayson

9 comments:

teri said...

Cathy Johnson is an excellent teacher. I have a friend who taught me many watercolor techniques, and it is completely different once you have instruction. Each thing has a step, and you follow them to get a results. (It's an entirely different mindset from working with acrylics.)

Cathy L. Calamas said...

You go girl!! Good for you!! My weakness is backgrounds. I am always struggling to get a good foundation. Have a SUPER day tomorrow!!

Linda said...

Haha, I'm the same way with watercolors. Can't do a thing with them. Thanks my friend for reminding me about the class. I signed up but would have forgotten all about it had you not posted.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by. Sorry our lettering class is over. Watercolor is my first love. My goal is to put lettering on a watercolor. Need some more nerve.
I do not know Kay, but it sounds like she may be your guardian angel. I think Texas Ave is in Sun City. I live downtown. Keep on keepin on.
I read a few posts; enjoy your sense of humor.

trisha too said...

You'll do great, watercolor is FUN stuff!

That quote is perfect, so very true--I'd better write that one
down . . .

:)

(And you can case me all you want!)

Unknown said...

I like your stripes:) Watercolor is my thing, for sure. So I should break out the acrylics. Now that is a challenge for me. Great Post!!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Thanks to you all for visiting me and commenting. I've enjoyed reading and learning from you! xoxo

Aimeslee Winans said...

Note: this post is included AS eNTRY #78 of the Creative Every Day weekly challenge for Feb. 27 - Mar. 4, 2012.

Gwen said...

I am no expert, but the whole thing about watercolour is the lack of control. Then you get lovely mixing of washes.

I hope that helps a bit.

I just use the muddy colours left in the lid after a previous session and I just accept what happens.

You have made a great start, though!
Just do what you want and keep on doing it:)