Thursday, February 23, 2012

Paper, Reconstructed / Restructured

So, I happened upon a convo online about something called Reconstructed or Restructured Paper, and it interested, so I googled it. I would dearly love being paid to just do nothing but look sh*t up on Google. But I digress. Back to this paper technique. Here are a few links I found that help to explain what it is and how it is done:
Harmony Schoolhouse
March/April 2011 Issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors article  (this is only a link to the magazine)
Flickr Sample
and finally, the best one, in my opinion: Trish Bee's paper
also a best one: Trisha Too's Serendipity paper
and here's a great tute for painting deli papers to which you can ADD paper to: Dianne's Painted Deli Paper Tute .

Now, first off, this *new* technique appears to be nothing more than a novel way to use up scraps, and it's a pretty old idea, and there are many variations. So, this newest name is the only new thing about it. However, I'm very glad it is being resurrected, because I love the idea and it is awfully clever.

Second, you might even say, that's called COLLAGE. And, lol, you'd be right. Trish Bee's paper is even lumpy collage. And I think it becomes something new-ish if lumpy stuff is game for content.
Energized by this, I proceeded to begin a reconstructed / restructured page, with the idea that I would only use my left-over left-overs, be spontaneous and not worry if colors don't match or what text said. I began with a blank 7"-square of deli paper.
I then began using the deli paper as scrap underneath my asian page, where it picked up some gesso, stencilling-off and stamping-off. I should have used it this way longer, until it was covered, but I was too impatient and began gluing on paper scraps.
Some scraps from a recent greeting card went on...
And then I was inspired to turn it over and paste on some bigger blocks of birthday paper scraps, mostly because I am getting sicker than sick of that paper, lol.
And, that backing paper shows through, which would look really cool if it were great paper, lol.

This little square is dried and sitting in my Backgrounds drawer, ready to be added to more and more, layer by layer, until I say it is done. I've learned a few things from doing this much, though. First, when adding paper to the back of deli paper (which may or may not be my base paper every time), do not use blocks of paper. Use an entire sheet the same size. Adds better stability.

Also, don't sweat giving the base paper a design unless you want it to show through in places, because much of it is going to be covered up with paper layers.

Third, if and when I try doing this by creating a glue skin base (where it is made with a freezer or teflon base that is pulled away at the end), consider trying it with a base of contact paper. I read a cool children's activity with contact paper that teaches collage -- kind of like when we used to play with those stick-on people decals that had "Forms" in its name, back in the 60's. You could stick it on the (magnetic?) board, pull it off, restick it. Same thing. It was fun because it was moveable.

You can see how this technique can quickly become a more sophisticated project and less of one for spontaneous scraps use. So, you can do both kinds. I'm more and more liking the idea of partial progress on art that has no outer deadline, just my own inner deadline, lol. A friend of mine has suggested getting into Dawn Sokol's Pages in Stages method of art journaling, and what I have read so far is quite agreeable to me. I think I've been doing something like it for a while.

So, what do you think of making paper this way? Would you ever? Could you use it as a way to use your paper scraps and other embellies (tape, labels, diecuts, ribbon, stickers, etc.)??

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aimeslee! Thanks for your visit to my blog! i think this paper you made is amazing! I remember those boards you were writing about, I remember my classroom having one but I think it was felt, maybe? I love the the idea of a background drawer, whoa! I would definately do this, I have been involved with just a handful of swaps lately and I have a boatload of papers. this is a super idea! Thanks and looking forward to joining your blog! FranT

Benita said...

Very cool! You should start making your own paper & selling it :)

trisha too said...

Well, I was just surfing around, looking into the whole bookmaking smugmug thing for the A.R.T. group, and saw your name. I'm thinking I've seen you around and liked you lots, so clicked on your link, and (this is the funny part) found MY name!!

That really IS my favorite background technique, and it's way easier than the reconstructed paper thing. My friend recently did the serendipity, and then ran her pieces through a Big Shot to give them texture--they turned out SO nice, I wish she'd post pics!

Umm, yes, so "hi," Aimeslee!

trisha too said...

Oh brother, you are so right, there is nothing new about this, but it's still a great technique!

Unknown said...

Not a lot is absolutely 'new' in this world - sounds like a fun project to me and yes, your 'background' drawer appeals to me as well. hmmmmm.... Thanks for dropping by today Aimeslee - always a pleasure to read your lovely comments. I've got company so haven't been around lately .... hugs, Donna