Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September = School Daze

When I taught 3rd grade almost 2 decades ago, the staff always used to call the beginning of the year "school daze" because it reflected the way we felt for the first few weeks.  This is my homage to that annual tradition, just from a teacher's point of view, lol.

This piece is only 4x6 inches, but I loaded it up. The base is chipboard packaging from a box of granola bars, with strips of dictionary paper glued down and painted white. Then, I applied very old alphabet rub-ons all over the front, even at times rubbing on the entire portion of the sheet that was left, all at once. Then, the painting layers a la Kelly Kilmer.

Next, some stamping of foliage and addition of little punched leaves, topped off by the borders. The focal image, The Thinker, was a laser copy that I did a gel image transfer on and made a skin that I then adhered to the base. I tried out my Omni-Gel stuff. So-so for the effort. I could have done the same thing with heavy gel mediun, but the thickness of this stuff does make it easier. Oh well, ya win some, ya lose some, and learn a lesson or two along the way.

Anyway, I love the way you can see the letters through the image transfer. I've kinda gone crazy printing out laser copies of images to gel up and make skins with.

I am almost finished with my Sept. calendar and will try to post tomorrow. Until then, remember to slow down in school zones!

No comments: