Monday, April 20, 2009

Lately...


I've been making altered post cards, trying to find which substrate (base) that I like best, and trying out a few different media (paints, collage, stamping).

Late last summer, right before Ike hit, I started working on this 4x6-inch substrate size by making 4 APC's for a Post Secret swap ( **go here** to see them). The swap was with 4x6 Expressions yahoo group. As I was beginning to make cards for my second swap, Ike hit us.

Well, there went that. Six months later, I finally found time to get involved again. My old friend Diva, as it turned out, is the new owner and I answered a call for moderators. So now I do the topic of the week. I also joined several of the swaps because I only have to do one card per swap if I want. I won't risk my life on it by holding my breath, but I think I might can handle that. :-)))

I like this group's mix of members. There are representatives of various styles: magazine collage contempary, vintage scrapbook, drawing, painting, stamping, multi-media, and digital. We just had a trading frenzy on Sunday and I only got 2 cards made for it and could have traded twice if not triple that number. Our next one is in July and I vowed to be more prepared because it was fun!

"Sacred Spirit" is one of the ones I made to trade, and also my first one made after my long post-Ike hiatus. It began as a page torn out of an elementary curriculum textbook that I painted and stamped and glazed on to make background paper. I liked the illustration that went with the Indian folklore story about The Quillwork Girl, so I colored it with pencils, watercolors and dye inks, then I laminated it with my Xyron to protect it. The lamination's adhered right onto that background paper I cut so that the title of the story would be showing along the long edge. That's adhered to a piece of cereal box that I gesso'd to make stronger and then painted. It's a very well-made APC, and I was able to use a lot of the same techniques I use in making ATC's. :-))


In other news, my loverlicious friend Rose in the UK (also a 4x6 Expressions member) honored me on her blog last week and I am really touched! She's a sweetie and I love how resourceful and creative she is. I think I first connected with her fantastic journal pages and then she joined my Art Share and then I recruited her for the post card art group because she was making those, too. She has also tagged me and since that is a personal list I will do that on my Antics and Rantics blog the next time I post over there.
Thank you, Rose! xoxo

Now, I must pass this on to 8 bloggers who exemplify givers in my online community. I need more than 8! So, I will just go with my old-school long-time blog friends who I usually think of first, anyway:

1. Nancy
2. Linda
3. Lida
4. Sarah
5. Benita
6. Jill
7. Tina
8. Shirley

Until next time,

8 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks Aimeslee for the award. When you said major award I couldn't get the image of the leg lamp from the movie 'A Christmas Story' out of my head. lol

I'm a big fan of Post Secret and I like the idea of the swap.

Sarah Coggins said...

Love the "Sacred Spirit" card - such beautiful colors. :) The receiver will surely enjoy it.

Thanks for naming me in your list for the award!

femminismo said...

Beautiful card. Lovely shade of green and the spirit and legend part of the story this picture prompts in my mind is pretty cool. Like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," sort of. I visited you for your picture of Mama and Daughter and then stayed because you, too, are a paper hoarder! Cheers, Jeanne in Oregon

nancy said...

thanks for the award!
you are too kind,
nancy

jillconyers said...

Thank you Aimeslee!

Admittedly I couldn't figure out what APCs are LOL Post cards...what a fun idea and a cool take on the ATC concept. I'm always inspired by your ATCs to consider different art mediums. TFS

Nancy Wyatt said...

Aimeslee! Hope you are well! Love the card and your post! I've been crazy busy but wanted to stop in and say hi! hugs from Conroe, TX!

Nancy Wyatt said...

I finally did my post on the tag you gave me on 3/26 for the 7th photo in the 7th folder. hugs!

Melisa said...

Very cool secret postcards! I like the trees one the best, although I have a similar dream about heights. *shiver* I think I used to belong to that group but I must have gotten dropped for not participating because I can't get in, LOL. I think I joined and then kind of forgot about it.
The hip problem is a chronic thing that always seems to act up the most when it is most inconvenient. It's hard not to overdo when the weather is so wonderful!