Saturday, March 14, 2009

peek-a-boo



Except for the image of the Asian girl, this ATC was done completely from scraps, and I got really lucky about finding such complimentary colors and shapes. The scroll on the left was actually from an old Zip'eMate die catalog that had the most gorgeous page borders. I merely hand-cut it a bit with the old Xacto.

I have delusional visions of using all of my scraps in the creation of ATC's, cards and various collages, but I really should admit to myself that it would probably be impossible to accomplish this in my lifetime (my crafting snail's pace alone get in the way.) Still, I continue to entertain the possibility and hold out hope of one day littering the entire world with my scraps on pieces of art. Pipe dreams are necessary to life no matter how dumb, I guess.

I have recently discovered something about what motivates me to actually create (versus thinking about and planning to create). It seems that I really pump it out when I am angry, resentful, or otherwise negatively frustrated. What is produced isn't reflective of those feelings...I can't really recall any art of mine that's really negative. Perhaps it's like a catharsis for me, to improve my mood and outlook, to help me work through what's eating at me.

At any rate, it got me thinking about so many of the well-circulated axioms and inspirational ideas on the blogs. Like on blogs that ban negativity, or that constantly advise and reference angel-like behavior. Personally, I suspect that although the intentions might be stellar, many blogs don't completely reflect reality in terms of the blog owner's true life. I mean, surely there can't be that many flawlessly-behaved people? When's the last time you read a blogger who talks about being jealous or resentful or ridiculing or even catty? Other than here, that is. winkwink

So here I'll say it: being pissed off is a great motivator for me. I'm definitely not going to shun it or suppress it, so I might as well say it loud and proud, honey! I believe I'll name this condition and call it my creative anger. Yeah, book deal, here I come! winkwink

I have trouble sustaining it, though. I'm often quick to passionate anger, but just as quick to want everything to be copacetic again. This might be one reason my work product is created in spurts.

The positivity push seems more of a spiritual religiosity to me, as opposed to workplace/social relationship guidance. It's been awhile since I toiled daily in a workplace outside my home, but I have non-crafty friends who do, and when I describe the blog mantras, nobody ever pipes up and volunteers that it sounds just like a seminar they've attended or an office policy. Being polite and ethical is about as close as it gets. Apparently, the work place is more understanding of human feelings of all kinds, and let's face it, capitalism requires jealousy in some amount. 'Don't get mad, get even' is a popular work phrase. Yet, here on the blogs, we don't discuss those feelings as vulnerable participants. If they are mentioned at all, it's as if the writer is victorious over them or impervious to them.

I guess I'm just saying not to be so quick to bash negativity, because it's part of life. Are we so weak that the mere mention of them sucks us into its vortex? I highly doubt that. Instead of condemning and denying, maybe accepting and dealing with our entire range of feelings would be more helpful and a a lot less guilt-inducing. Just sayin'... :-)))

Until next time,

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Aimslee, first off I just LOVE your ATC, it is very beautiful. I keep a box of my scraps too for use in small projects.

I think you are living a very healthy life, you are being yourself, and dealing with your emotions. Negative emotions are real.

Here is something I read in a book I am following every day:

Everytime you don't allow yourself or aren't allowed to fully experience an emotion, to feel it and move through it, the energy of that emotion becomes stopped and blocked in your body.
It remains until you can go back and reexperience that emotion. Then the energetic block is released and the body is freed and cleared.
Virtually all our physical ailments come from energetic blocks in our bodies, energetic patterns that are connected to our emotional patterns.
Shakti Gawain~

Michele said...

You said a mouthful sister! and I am so thankful to you that you did...is it so possible that I was feeling very similarly?!(I'd like to think it's the 'great minds think alike" reason!
Your blog continues to bring much cheer to me...thank you for sharing it all!
p.s. I LOVE your recent Atc...JUST BEAUTIFUL!

Linda said...

I love the ATC, especially the scroll on the left.

It's funny what motivates people to create. I need sunny days and music to create. If it's gloomy outside I can't get motivated enough to go into the studio. It's probably because the studio isn't attached to the house and I have to go outdoors to get to it. In gloomy weather the last thing I want to do is go outdoors.

Christy said...

Love the thoughts you've expressed here. Yes, many of my creative periods are emotionally driven. I can and do create in anger, sadness, happiness and so on. What I find interesting though is that my art generally doesn't reflect the emotion either. Something I may create on a happy sunshiney day can be looked at and thought to have been an angry day. Weird. I get easily fed up with too much false emotion that I see expressed on blogs... no one can be that happy or that shallow. And I see a lot of shallow around lately!!

Sarah Coggins said...

Beautiful ATC, Aimeslee! I love the colors and fun gold swirls. :)

Linda said...

Hey girl! Love your ATC. I don't have a problem with people expressing negativity. It is normal. I just don't feel comfortable using my blog as the place to express all of it and believe me there is quite a bit of it to share. :)

jill said...

LOVE this ATC made w/ mostly scraps. i'm in the phased of life where i'm trying to use up everything possible and not be as carelsess and/or wasteful. i could probably create for the rest of my life with what i have hoarded already!