Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Weekly 4X6 Art Journaling

 Hiya, hope everyone is ok.
The theme this week at SPA is Caravan. I know that in UK/Europe that technically means a pull-behind camper and more generally any vehicle you can drive to go camping in. Here in the USA it used to mean a Dodge minivan, lol. Nowadays it means RV or recreational vehicle. In the past, I've used the stamps I have of campers, but I realized I'd never used this very old QuicKutz 2x2 Squeeze die set and as I'm still into using my old and never used stuff, I decided to make a landscape scene and use that for my caravan. I have many fond memories of camping as a child and as an single adult and after marriage with the family. So this subject made me happy to create. 
Then I got the idea to try a vertical diagonal northern lights sky using Distress Inks. After watching few Youtube videos, I tried my hand and I think that pleased me most of all! I used Mustard Seed, Pine Needles, Broken China, Dusty Concord, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot DI's with blending brushes. I love the effect, especially behind the Versamark stamped and heat embossed silhouette stamp I chose (Creative Expressions Moonlit Gathering). Then I got to play with my chunkier embossing powders for the bottom roadway (Emerald Creek Northern Lights and Seth Apter Rocky Road Baked Texture). More happy! And last but not least, the snarky/funny sentiment I stamped in the middle is from an old Sweet Stamp Shop set -- I think that sentiment was why I bought the stamps in 2014 and this is the first ink it's seen. It's the perfect catch phrase for a long road trip.
So, making this made me happy happy happy happy!
Angle shot to show the heat embossing with black fine detail embossing powder on the stamped landscape and the layered heat embossing with Tim's clear embossing dauber and chunky embossing powders on the pavement (road). The moon was also stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with white powder.
And a shot to show off my way-too-tedious work on this RV and camper trailer die cut set.
It's popped up with 1/8" dimensional foam, which I applied to the backs before adding the windows and doors. The wheels thankfully were just a tad larger than the little dimensional foam circles I have, so whilst I nearly went cross-eyed centering the foam onto each tire, adding the silver centers was a breeze. I colored the large RV with Promarkers and then drew the zigzags with a black acrylic paint pen and filled in with a silver one. For the camper trailer, I colored that with the silver acrylic paint pen, accenting with the black, and the door and window with Promarkers  The tires were colored witrh a black Promarker and the centers with the silver pen.
And last look.
Thanks for the visit today.
Enjoy!!
XO

CHALLENGE LINK UPS:
Inspired by the colors

24 comments:

Lisa :) said...

This is an outstanding piece. While the Northern Lights background is what drew me over for the closer look, everything about it is exceptional!!

Darlene said...

WOW! That northern lights sky is AMAZING and absolutely beautiful! Fun creation! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Four Seasons Challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back again soon.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

Becca S said...

You're making me remember some camping trips I did as a kid! My aunt and her husband used to have the style that sat in a pickup truck bed and bumped up and over the cab. They were very brave to take 6 young kids (their 3 sons, my sister and I and our brother) camping overnight!!! Those were the days! The Northern Lights/looks-like Canada outdoors or from Minnesota scene looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing at FQGS!! --Becca

Bonnie Lynn said...

Aimes, this is SO COOL!! You did an amazing job with those Northern lights. I've not done Northern lights yet. That chunky embossing powder makes your road look real. Love the texture it gives. Hope you're having a pain free day my friend.

Rika said...

Wonderful Caravan card, love the background.
Thanks for playing.!

Melissa Bee said...

Gorgeous aurora! Great card altogether ❤️

Valerie-Jael said...

This is lovely, good to see the Northern lights! Here most people now have campers, hugs and horrible things and hard to park in town! But I am not a camping fan.... Hugs, Valerie

Imke said...

Wow, super cool sky ! Thanks for joining us @Little Red Wagon. Hope to see you back again soon.

Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

Carol said...

Great card Aimes. I love that sky.
Hugs
Carol xx

wienerhoneymooners said...

WOW!! Absolutely FAB background!! BEST I've ever seen like that!
Thanks so much for joining in The Stay Crafty Challenge with a Blog Named Hero!

My name is Erika. said...

I had to smile when you mentioned finally using older dies- or even stamps for me. I've been trying to do that. I like that camper set. And the cool scene you made with the stars and northern lights. Very nicely done. I don't know how you live down where this heat happens on a much more frequent schedule. It's brutal here. I have all the AC's running but even then some rooms just don't completely cool down. But at least the main rooms are comfortable. Thanks for linking up to AJJ. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

I just saw the tropical storm warning your way. I hope you don't get a lot of effects from it.

Judy McKay said...

Stunning camping card. Love the colour scheme. Thank you for joining us at a Place to Start this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT
https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com/

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

An amazing card with lots of impact Aimes, love your sky and silhouette scene. What a cool RV and caravan. As for "Are we there yet", my son would ask at 10 minutes into the 4 hour journey, drove us crazy hahaha. Hope all is well. x

Alyson Mayo said...

This is FAB-U-LOUS! The Northern Lights technique has always been a favourite of mine and your card turned out beautifully. The black silhouette images are just right!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, just wow!!! This is FANTASTIC!!! I love this art piece.

Chrissy said...

What a beautiful sky and love the deer and trees in silhouette form and the van and caravan bring back a lot of memories of us as a family travelling New Zealand..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Arlene said...

Beautiful scene. What fun that RV is too. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas this month.

Lisa said...

Your northern lights sky card is absolutely stunning! The vertical diagonal effect using Distress Inks is so striking, especially paired with the silhouette stamp and embossed moonlit landscape. The addition of chunky embossing powders for the roadway adds such a unique texture and depth. Your attention to detail on the RV and camper trailer die cuts, from the Promarker coloring to the acrylic paint pen accents, really brings the scene to life. It's clear that each element was meticulously crafted, resulting in a beautifully cohesive and imaginative card that captures the essence of a long road trip perfectly!

Julia Aston said...

What a gorgeous Northern Lights sky you created for your campers and wildlife Aimslee! thanks for sharing again with us at Inkspirational: Moodboard Julia xx

craftytrog said...

Wow! What a fabulous sky you created Aimeslee. I love the camper and little caravan, and the embossed texture too.
I hope you're having a lovely weekend.
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm playing catch up. I adore tour Northern Lights and the camper and trailer. I especially like the embossing powders. That really made the road stand out perfectly. I can tell you are happy, happy, and we are happy you shared this with us at AJJ using Matilde's theme.

Billie A said...

Awesome scene. Great sky. So glad you shared over at Cardz 4 Galz, Make my Monday, Aud Sentiments

Cazro said...

Wow! I adore this card. Can I go on the caravan holiday to see this beautiful night sky? Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz for Galz. Caz. DT