Sunday, March 31, 2024

Country Roads Art Journal Spread

 Hello again!
I'm popping back in today to share an art journal spread.

Not the best road I ever drew, but as today is the last day to play in Chris' animals theme at AJJ and I remembered I had these very old Victorian Scrap farm animals, I was inspired to create a farm scene with a road so I could use the Artistic Outpost sentiment that alludes to John Denver's song from the 1970's. I wasn't much of a fan of his, but I did really like that song.

I began with this spread in my Little Book of Wisdom journal. It had a coat of gesso and some blue acrylic chalk paint. I wanted it for the blue sky.

I've used a few dies: the windmill cut from silver paper, the fences cut from brown stash scrap and the clouds cut from white card. I cut the hills and ground from two sheets of DCWV designer paper and then colored and blended color on them using water soluble crayon.

The barn and trees are an Angie Blom digi that I colored with pencils after printing out and fussy cutting. I went over the horizon and the edges of the spread with a brown Big Brush pen, smudging it with my finger as I went. I stamped the sentiment using Versafine Clair ink on a piece of scrap paper and heat embossed with clear powder.

 
I wanted to show what the designer paper looked like before I colored it with the Caran d'Ache crayons and blended it with a baby wipe.

Last look.
One more spread done!
Hope you are having a great Easter Sunday.
Thanks for visiting!
XOX

CHALLENGE LINK UPS:
Windmill and clouds and fence
Media: Paper, Acrylic paint, Caran d'Ache crayons, Pitt Artist Big Brush pens, Colored pencils, Stamping ink, Embossing powder, Silver marker

15 comments:

Alyson Mayo said...

SO many details - I can’t draw (at all) so I really admire your drawing abilities :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

That John Denver song is one of my favourites too! Your journal page is a favourite too! You created a wonderful animakl filled scene! Thanks so much for joining in with my AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

JanR said...

Such great pages! Love the sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great farm/ranch page Aimeslee. I like those Victorian style animals. and the windmills and the barn too. Boy, this spread did take a lot of work, but the results are definitely worth it. Thanks for getting it done to share it at AJJ for Chris' challenge. And have a great start to April. Hugs-Erika

Becca S said...

What creative fun problem-solving you've had to make this farm animal themed journal spread!!! It was great to read about all the steps, supplies from different vendors, and processes that you went through from starting to completion! Thanks for sharing with FarmQuest General Store! --Becca

Andree said...

A gorgeous journal spread. You've created a fabulous rural scene with the lovely mediums.
Thank you for joining in with our March challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck! x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Lots of work on the pages Aimes, but a stunning result. Well worth every minute you spent, colouring and cutting. x

Marjeta said...

You have created beautiful scene. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments.

Donna Walls said...

I love this 2 page spread Aimes, you have really created a lovely countryside scene. Thanks for playing along at The Paper Funday Challenge.
Donna xx

Anita said...

You've painted a beautiful picture, Aimeslee--so rustic and peaceful! So many components, and you've made the best use of them--love it. Really makes me want to visit this idyllic farm. :-)

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful country farmyard scene Aimeslee!

Margarets designer cards said...

Love your journal page, that’s how I picture the countryside of America
Beautifully coloured,

Vicky Hayes said...

How lovely Aimeslee - just like an illustration in a story book! Loving the designer paper hills and ground and all your other details. I'm thinking up all kinds of adventures you'd have if you went to that magical farm! Vicky x

Lisa said...

Your art journal spread is truly captivating! I love how you've brought together the vintage farm animals with the nostalgic sentiment, creating a charming scene reminiscent of simpler times. The meticulous detailing, from the hand-colored elements to the use of various dies and textures, adds depth and character to the composition. Brilliant work!

*Vicki* said...

This is such a brilliant AJ layout! I love all of the farm elements and how you've put together a landscape scene for all of them! Really love how you've used the decorative papers for it as well! Thanks for sharing this with us at Mix It Up!