Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Art Journal Spread and 4X6 Weekly Art

 Happy first full week of Spring and last full week of March!
We just passed through The Ides of March and March winds are blowing, bringing rain and cool fronts...and to many, more snow!
I find that I have to remind myself that Spring is not just a cooler version of Summer.
I've been trying to enjoy Spring as it's such a fleeting season where I live,
but sometimes the weather rollercoaster makes that difficult.
😏😕😏

It's not easy to see it now, but I originally was only going to create on the lefthand page. I had the image of the circus acrobats saved from an old calendar (Renoir's painting Acrobats at the Circque Fernando), and I thought the colors went really well with the painted background. Then the whole circus idea hit me and one page became two.
SUPPLY LIST:
Little Book of Wisdom art journal
Dies: Banner flags, Monkey, Big Top sentiment, Stitched circle, Stitched star, Circus tent, Giraffe, Gorilla, Elephant, Zebra, Lion
Acrylic paints
Distress crayons
Anna Griffin Riley collection designer paper
Orange and white paper scraps
Artistic Outpost Time sentiment stamp
Versafine Clair ink
Gel pens
Faber Castell Artist Big Brush pens
Stabilo All pencil
Promarkers
Star stickers
Pinking shears deco scissors
Washi tape

What I began with: the left side of the spread had been painted with orange, yellow and green acrylic paints, using a scrubbing technique to reveal under paint. The right side was covered with some very old scrapbooking paper in the those same colors. I wanted to try to make them more cohesive.

So I scribbled Distress Crayons in layers of those colors and spread with a baby wipe until I got my desired effect.

Left side of spread. I cut all the die cuts out of white card and colored them using Promarkers and Distress inks. I really like the Renoir. Back in the day, the audience would throw tissued-wrapped oranges into the ring to show appreciation and the performers would scoop them up. Like modern-day tipping, I guess. Citrus was not a staple for most back then, so oranges were a treat.

Right side of spread. I hope my lion die cut can hang with these other lions without getting eaten! And that zebra is just walzing on in there, like lions on the African Prairie don't feast on them! Well, the Ringmaster is gesturing come on in, so I'll leave it in his hands to avert disaster.
😊

I wanted to show you: this is the 5x7 sheet of Anna Griffin designer paper I started with. I cut the top area off and then apart to use in the top corners of the spread. Also, cutting it made it easier to fit the tent die cut on the page with this. And I'm happy that I snapped to hanging the momkey die cut from the trapeze bars. You may notice that the paper originally had pink coloring. I colored over all the pink with a red Promarker.
😎

 
 

Close-ups of all the die cuts: click on a photo to bring it up bigger.

Final view. Even though this wasn't my original idea, I really like what it morphed into. 
And I think it's fitting for the last spread (the right hand page is the inside of the back cover).
And the best part: one more spread done in this journal, with a only a handful more to go to be finished.

And last but not least, my entry to Sunday Postcard Art's Strong People challenge for this week, which is hosted by Rein. It's another all-digital piece for me, using a dancer image from a Gecko Galz digital image kit I received as a prize last year called Across the Dance Floor (not listed at GG's Etsy, and I don't understand why because it has some very cool images). I used her vest color to make the frame and sentiment in PSE. 

Thanks for hanging in there if you made it this far, lol.
Hope your week goes so well you don't want it to end!
XOX

ART JOURNAL SPREAD CHALLENGE LINK UPS:
Media: Paper, Acrylic paint, Distress Crayons and inks, Stamping ink, Promarkers, Big Brush pens, Stabilo All pencil, Gel pens, Washi tape
Media: Paper, Acrylic paint, Distress Crayons and inks, Stamping ink, Promarkers, Big Brush pens, Stabilo All pencil, Gel pens, Washi tape
Spring is the beginning of circus season, according to THIS.
The traveling circus coming to town is a big deal in rural areas.
Red / Ring / Ringmaster
Colorful Options March: Green
Storybook Circus at Magic Kingdom
Spring is the beginning of circus season, according to THIS.
Festive / Celebration / Performance / Colors Green and Yellow

31 comments:

meg said...

A fabulous card with many fun animal characters thank you for joining in at the Alphabet Challenge

Ilonka said...

A beautiful card, thanks for sharing it with us at The Pearl Sparkles Challlenge.
Ilonka DT

Chris said...

So many details on this colourful journal spread Aimeslee, it really conveys the air of excitement and activity of the circus. Thanks for sharing at Fab'n' Funky.
Chris
x

Beth Stamps said...

I'm glad you ended up making a two page spread because it looks so well together. You manage to work in large and small spaces mastering beautiful work. I love these vibrant colours. Great work Aimes darlin'--Bethie

Rika said...

wonderful projekts
and thanks for joining in at SPA.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous double page spread,love the circus theme and all the images.Beautiful postcard and image too.
Thank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles and Scrapping4fun
Carol DT x

Donna Walls said...

Spring? I say what Spring LOL..the only thing we have resembling Spring is the pollen which turns black vehicles yellow! But I digress..I love your double page spread, it's all fun and festive and just perfect. Thanks for sharing with us at The Inspiration Station and Paper Funday Challenges.
Donna xx
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge

Becca S said...

Too true about a small circus coming to smaller cities. As a child, the county seat community had about 9-10,000 people but our village about 20 miles away only had about 225. Whenever a small circus would come for a day or two, luckily my parents/sometimes mom would take us to a performance. Your journal pages did morph really well and have those layers and mixed media mergers that are characteristic for journaling! Thanks for thinking of FQGS!! --Becca

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fun idea for a journal spread, and I'm glad you added the lions and all the other animals for Chris' AJJ challenge. Thanks for joining in. Besides the animals, the colors are great and you have some great vintage style images. And I know what you mean about spring. It is often not really spring for us, and at least at my house, it was more spring like on March 1 than it is now. But that will change. Hope your weather improves. hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

I love your circus spread Aimeslee, so much to look at. And the postcard is beautiful.
Hope you get some warmer weather soon.
Hugs,
Alison

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely assortment of artwork.

Neet said...

I keep on searching but I cannot find Spring as where I look Aimslee.
However, your journal pages made me smile. I love the circus theme, so much going on in the ring there with all those animals for Chris' challenge at AJJ.
Love the way you built up the background to your other page - great stencil with all those letters on.
Hugs, Neet xx

Lisa Bird said...

Super colourful pages, I love all the elements you have added. Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments Challenge Blog
Best Wishes Lisa (DT) xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Andree said...

A super double spread. You've used lots of wonderfully blended mediums and gorgeous artwork to create this fabulously colourful journal spread.
Thank you for joining in with our March challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck! x

Deanne Saunders said...

So cool!!! Thanks so much for participating in our COLORFUL OPTIONS challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

pearshapedcrafting said...

We are getting lots of rain showers which I am hoping are early April showers and we are set for a sunny time ahead!
I absolutely adore your pages - I know circuses have a bad reputation but as a child I used to love the arrival of the circus, especially as it was on my usual route to the bus stop home from school. My friend and I loved wandering past the lions cages and the tethered elephants and horses.
I love seeing how you used the fabulous backgrounds you made!
Thanks so much for sharing at AJJ and my theme, hugs, Chrisx

Jane Savage said...

A wonderful and colourful journal spread!
Thank you for joining us at Creative Inspirations Challenge! Jane S (DT) Paper, Pencils & Pretty Things! xxx

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

It's a beautiful page!
I come to see you from the Craftalandia Challenge in which I also participated.
Happy Easter!
Hugs

Carole J said...

Your double page circus spread is fabulous, Amy! So many little details and so cleverly thought out. I love your digital, dancer postcard too!
Thank you for sharing your project with us at the Crafts Galore Encore “Anything Goes” March Challenge. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon!
Carole x DT Craftilicious Creations

Michele said...

your circus journal is wonderful. but the dancer -- what a wonderful way to show strength! dancers are very strong. this is beautiful! xo

Lisa said...

Your journal spread is absolutely captivating and full of whimsical charm! I love how the vibrant colors and intricate die cuts bring the circus theme to life, and the incorporation of the Renoir painting adds a touch of artistic elegance. It's inspiring to see how your creative vision evolved across both pages, resulting in a delightful and harmonious composition that truly celebrates the spirit of Spring and the joy of artistic expression.

Χαρά Θεοδωρίτση said...

ΟΜΟΡΦΑ ΑΝΟΙΞΙΑΤΙΚΑ ΕΡΓΑ.
ΚΑΛΟ ΠΑΣΧΑ ΜΕ ΥΓΕΙΑ!

Ysnelda Solano said...

Creatividad, color y belleza.

Mia said...

Your art journal spread is gorgeous, Aimeslee! I love the Renoir image with the circus scene. Thank you so much for joining Craftlandia Challenge. Good luck in the draw. Big hugs from Greece.

Francesca said...

Very pretty creation! Happy Easter! Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start!

Dawn Phillips said...

This is so creative. I'm pleased to see how you used your animal dies. Thanks for joining us at The Alphabet Challenge. Love Dawn x

Chana Malkah said...

Your spreads are awesome! I love the colors. What a wonderful way to memorialize the circus visit! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Ellibelle said...

The page spread turned out so beautifully and brings back memories of going to the circus.
Our spring weather is all over the place too. Supposed to snow tomorrow...
Thanks so much for sharing at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat
https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

Tone K. said...

Great art journal! :) Thanks a lot for joining us at Let`s Craft and Create :)

MARIELA Inspirada said...

This double page circus spread is gorgeous! So many details and a lot of creativity!!! Amazing work! esitos...