Wednesday, January 31, 2024

4X6 Art This Week

 Happy Wednesday and the last day of January.

SUPPLIES USED:
White card stock for base, background, stamping and die cutting
Dies:
Spellbinders Beverages and Romantic Rose mat
Sizzix/TH Tattered Banners Sizzlit Strips
Crafters Companion/Gemini Hexagon Torn Edge die
Spellbinders Tammy Tutterow Picnic brick embossing folder
Internet images of colonial calendar pages
Stamps: Deep Red, 7Gypsies, Stampers Anon/TH
Memento stamping ink
Distress inks: Antique Linen, Old Paper, Vintage Photo
Promarkers
Glitter gel pens

From this angle you can hopefully see the glittery shine coming from all of the beverages, which were colored with Spectrum Noir Golden Glow glitter marker and outlined with a dark grey Promarker that for some reason looks blue. I used a dark grey colored pencil to color the man's clothes and it looks blue as well. Oh, well, doesn't matter, it just always interests me how lighting and photo editing can change the colors.
 
Here is the original base mat paper layer that I created in PSE from internet images of Colonial calendars and printed on white card. They apparently had not yet discovered the graphical square grid yet, lol. I used the Antique Linen and Old Paper DI's to color it with a blending brush. Next, I die cut it with the Romantic Rose base mat die and adhered it to the 4X6 card stock base, then ran the whole thing through my Big Shot inside the brick wall embossing folder. Then, I inked the raised embossed surface and ink blended the edges with the Vintage Photo DI until I liked the look it gave.

I die cut and colored the adult beverages and also the sentiment strips that I stamped on. I stamped the ceter focal image on white card and cut it with the hexagon die and inked it. I colored the drinking man with my colored pencils and ink-edged the sentiment strips before arranging and glueing it all down.

Closeup shot for reading the focal image. I'd bought this stamp originally to use in a genealogy scrapbook and thought it would be a good time to take it for a test run. My mother's immigrating ancestor was a Dutch Catholic officer of the Dutch West India Company who came to America in 1657 and eventually ended up in St. Mary's City, MD as the Sheriff and an innkeeper of a tavern, first Smith's Ordinary and then his own inn that he ran as a private club. I thought this image would look great in his section of my scrapbook (but without the year since he died in 1698).
He's famous enough to have a few online entries and a National Historic Marker.
You can read about him if you are curious about my 7X-Great Grandfather:

And final view.
I plan to frame this and hang it in our breakfast room, to remember my innkeeper ancestor.
It makes me smile to read it and Honey loves it.
Thanks so much for your visit today.
Have a good one!
XOX

CHALLENGE LINKUPS:
1786: The Distant Past
I have a base mat of Colonial calendar images and a date 1786
I'm a genealogy freak!
Paper, Distress inks, Stamping ink, Colored pencils, Alcohol markers, Glitter & Gel pen markers

17 comments:

bockel24 said...

not only distant past, but also "no shirt, no shoes" - another sentence about distance?!

The Crafty Den said...

Your wall art is fantastic Aimeslee. So many gorgeous details and love the vintage look of your papers. The glittery beers are fab too. Thanks for sharing with us at Krafty Chicks challenge. Hugs, Denise x

Valerie-Jael said...

This is one of my all time favourites, fabulous! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page Aimeslee! It really does look aged! I love the connection to your family too! Thanks for sharing at both Erika's Art Journal Journey theme and Try It On Tuesday, hugs,Chrisx

Bonnie Lynn said...

I love it! I've never thought to look up colonial calendars online. I thought all calendars are the same for some reason. Duh Bonnie!! I hope you're having a great week. Stay warm and dry my friend.

Melanie Hungerford said...

Wow, you did a great job on creating something that looks convincingly old! Love the little beer mugs too. Thanks for sharing with us at Can You Handle the Pressure!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful.

Deann said...

Fabulous work on your vintage poster.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! What a wonderful piece of work with so much history attached with the story of your 7X Great Grandfather. To have him in history files too! Now that is a claim to fame, how remarkable Aimes. Love this post and poster.
Faith x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Just had to say, what a fascinating man your relation had Aimes, loved reading the history of him. How thrilling for his house to be still standing, hope you've visited?
x

My name is Erika. said...

I really like this piece. Using the old newspaper image for the background really worked well. And those rough edges look great too. And boy, your family (or at least part of) had been here a long time. And he even has some fame too. You must be proud of that, and this piece is definitely perfect for your history too. I hope you don't get any of the weather out in California as it moved east. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

And thanks for joining TIOT too. This page has lots of text, so it's perfect. :)

Lisa said...

What a great image. This reminds me of a restaurant I use to visit in northern Illinois. Miss going there to eat. Great food and atmosphere.

Ellibelle said...

This is so fabulous and love the sparkle! And how great that you were able to trace back your ancestry so far! Love it!
Thanks so much for sharing at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

Birgit said...

What a great card! Thanks so much for linking up to the Double D Challenge. Best of luck to you!

Granmargaret said...

Great work. Thank you for joining the challenge at My Time To Craft . Hope to see you again.

Rachel said...

That glittery shine adds a nice touch! Thanks for joining us at the Mix It Up Challenge blog!