Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Day of the Dead 4X6 Art

 Hey there, me again.
Trying to enjoy the cooler weather and get all my makes posted.
Hope everyone is fine and dandy this All Hallow's Eve.
I've been working on one last art journal page for this month, but I need a break before next month's rollercoaster, so that page will have to wait awhile before I finish it.
The brain fog is better, but
I'm still really tired and now my nose is stopped up because Honey turned on the central heat.
😩😪😩

I do have this piece to share for Halloween and for November 2 (All Soul's Day-Day of the Dead). It began with the cool background, which is packaging from a DOTD cake we bought at our neighborhood supermercado (Mexican supermarket) last year. The packaging caught my eye and truth be told I probably bought that cake because of it. I saved it for a DOTD project, so I had to use it on this, right? Isn't it pretty?

So, the Alpha Stamps/Capacis sugar skull and the pink Inkadinkado circular frame were stamped with Bluebell and Charming Pink Versafine Clair inks, respectively. I lightly washed the skull with a tan watercolor brush marker and added a little color to the flower and heart on the skull as well. I fussy-cut both stamped images before layering onto the background. Then, I added some white Sizzix photo corner die cuts to the top and bottom, and I also added the Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead in Spanish) text, also from the cake packaging, on a scrap strip of pink card. Then I added tiny rhinestones all over, and a few flower shaped ones as well. On the skull, I added Prima paper flowers to the eyes and topped each eyes with flatback pearls. I topped the forehead flowers with rhinestones. I added pink flatback pearls to the photo corners and large round rhinestones to each corner of the card. The circular frame got some blue rhinestones, too, as did the text.
And done.

I had no certain idea of how this would look with all these elements, but I like it and think I used that pretty background well. I'll be proud to display this every year. Honey's going tomorrow to get another cake, so maybe I'll get more pretty packaging.
😁
Thanks for visiting and have a warm cozy day.
Happy Halloween!
XXO

CHALLENGE LINK-UPS:
Inspired by the celebration and the skulls in the photo
Heart is on the sugar skull's forehead between the eyes
I used the colors in the photo on my homage to the Mexican tradition of honoring deceased loved ones
Halloween Horror U Studios

17 comments:

ScrappyHorses said...

Wow, what a fun piece! Loving the upcycle of the packaging! Great colors, patterns, and sparkle just perfect for the occasion! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous Halloween piece with great colours, love it! Stay well, hugs, Valerie

Sue said...

Absolutely stunning! and thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky challenge hugs x

Pia S said...

This is so eye catching with its colorful pattern and design! Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.

Laurie said...

Wow! This is awesome - so colorful and so much detail. The more I look, the more I see! Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Design Challenge!

Becca Sadler, owner and manager of HQCB and FQCB said...

Colorful tribute memorial for Day of the Dead! And kudos for your terrific creative vision and upcycling thinking to rescue the cake packaging! And to save it for a whole year before using it in this very festive decoration showpiece! Thanks for supporting Heart's Quest theme #41 Sympathy/memorial to recognize Day of the Dead and All Saint's Day. --Becca

My name is Erika. said...

This is cool! I love that background paper. I've never seen Day of the Dead paper like that but then we can't get Day of the Dead cakes here. Too bad too, but it's a great way to recycle.This is a fun way to start the new month, and I hope it's not too too cold for you. I saw on the news your temperatures are down like ours. Happy November, hugs-Erika

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

This is fabulous Aimes, so colourful and fun. I think I would have bought a cake with such packaging too hahaha.
Faith x

Carla's Cards said...

A fabulous Halloween piece. Thanks for sharing at Crafting from the Heart.
DT Carla Brooke

papierelle said...

A really cool Halloween card!! Glad you joined us at the Dream Factory!!! Gundi

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks fantastic!

Alexandra Y said...

Great idea to re-use the packaging! It is so pretty! I love the bright colours and fun design. Thank you for joining us at the Inspiration Station Challenge this month!

Rosmarie said...

Absolutely fabulous!!! That eye catching background and skull are just amazing! You really did well to buy that cake because of the package !!! ...I definitely would have too, hahaha
Thank you so much for playing along with the Dream Factory a second time! Hugs, Rosi

Lisa said...

Fabulous day of the dead card. Great paper to pair with the image. Lots of happy colors on this card.

Deanne Saunders said...

Awesome card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our HALLOWEEN CRAFTS ALL YEAR ROUND challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Loose Stitches said...

Great creation! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Creative Crafters.
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx

Carla said...

What a colorful detailed piece! Be well soon. DT Crafting from the Heart