Thursday, August 24, 2023

Let's Be Pirates!

 Hi Ho, Sweet People!
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Well, we got no rain from Tropical Storm Harold, but we did get breezes and cloud cover.
Today, however, things went right back to our hot and sunny normal.
Today I'm sharing an art journal page with you. I took a few process shots to show what I did mixed media wise.
Here you can see the original state of the page in my Strathmore Mixed Media journal. I'd previously watercolored it a light blue and I've laid out my fussy cut elements in order to find the shoreline and horizon line.
Next, this is after I painted the ocean water and sand using Distress Crayons and a damp/wet Plaid One-Stroke Scruffy Brush. I then brushed the water area with a blue Wink of Stella glitter brush pen. And I had begun adding white gel penning, but stopped to take this photo before adding a lot more. I also used a white Posca pen on the shoreline.
Then I colored the ship and the primitive stone carvings with Promarkers. The Artistic Outpost ship was stamped, heat-embossed and fussy-cut and the other fussy-cut elements are from Gecko Galz digital collage sheets and were printed out on photo paper. I hand-wrote the "Let's Be Pirates" on the treasure map with a black fine liner. It's hard to see, but I also added 3 white tissue paper MFT cloud cover die cuts and 3 MFT groundling die cuts on the sand that I also colored with the Distress Crayons to match. After everything was glued down, I brushed gold Wink of Stella to the sand.
Close-up to show the sand shimmer.
and another to show the water shimmer and the cloud die cuts.
And final view. As far-fetched as this seems, I only need to go back in time about 200 years for it to be reality, I live about an hour north of Galveston, Texas, which has a rich history of pirate legends. You can read a short and concise explanation HERE. And a bit more about our most famous pirate, Jean Lafitte HERE. It's just part of the folklore around here on the upper Texas Gulf Coast. Even the water park in my town is called Pirate's Bay, lol. 
Thanks for the visit and enjoy your day, XOX.

CHALLENGES LINK-UPS:
Collage Sheets used:
By The Sea
Treasures Under the Sea ATC Set
Pin Up Sweethearts Craft Kit
WDW Pirates of the Caribbean

30 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I seem to be so far behind this month, but I am so glad I saw this beauty. It is stunning and I love the sea and sand background you created. This is a real gem. Thanks for this amazing entry for Chris's theme at AJJ, dear Aimeslee.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a gorgeous piece, your lovely pirate looks happy with her takings! Who wouldn't be? Love how you painted the water and clouds. How lovely to live near a pirate park. Have a good day, stay cool. Here it's very hot, but also extremely windy, so a good day to stay home and play!! Hugs, Valerie

Makira said...

❤️🏴‍☠️❤️ Ahoy there, matey! This here be a fine page! ⚓ Yarrr, yer backdrop be a grand stage fer yer pirate lass pin-up. 🌊 Many thanks for joinin' the fun at Park Hopping My Happy Place. Yo-ho-ho, Makira! ❤️🎢🎨

Carol said...

Love your scrapbook and the links you left. I learned about the pirates but then spent quite a while with 'Texas Highways' with the wildflowers and the railway. Very interesting and I loved the Texas Bluebonnet.
Hugs
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Anita said...

Wow, Aimeslee, you've really brought everything together so well!! Love the glittery background too. It must have been so much fun to bring a piece of your town's history onto paper. :-)

Diane said...

So creatively beautiful!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at The Four Seasons and The Sisterhood!
Diane FS Co-Owner and TSH DT
{Nellies Nest}
{Four Seasons}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

theras kartenblog said...

That´s a wonderful project. I'm thrilled to bits.
Thanks for playing along with us at Friendship Challenge.
Good luck and happy crafting!
Ilse (thera)


Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fabulous, beautiful journal page, hug Elke

Deborah Wheeler said...

Oh, that's such a fun journal page, Aimeslee! Loving the pirate vibe! Thanks for joining our tropical/beach fun at Sparkles Challenge
Deborah DT

Vicki Dutcher said...

WOW! What a fabulous end result!! Thanks for joining in at HLS Watercolor

*Vicki* said...

Totally brilliant AJ page! I love the beach scene you've created with the watercolor and I can see that beautiful shimmer of the sand! Thanks so much for sharing your project with us at the Sparkles Monthly Challenge! :)

Mervi said...

Wonderful card!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Sarah said...

What a lovely seasonal journal page, such glorious colours. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts. Sarah DT

Gina said...

This is such a fun journal page :D I think we could all do with a day playing at pirates on a beach somewhere lol. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting From The Heart XXX

Jocelyn said...

Well 'shiver me timbers and ahoy there'! What a great journal page and I love the added sparkles. Thank you for sharing with us.
Jocelyn x
CD Sunday Plus DT

Fiona said...

What a great mixed media piece. I loved reading about your pirate - I lived in Houston for a while and visited Galveston many times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and joining in with our challenge at Creative Artiste Mixed Media

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A Super mixed media page and so interesting about the Pirates, especially in your area. Love this Aimes.
Faith x

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun page Aimeslee. I'd like to be that pirate. Beautiful, adventurous-plus she found all that treasure. What a playful idea. Glad to hear you didn't get any rain, but too bad the heat came back. It has to end at some point, you would think. Thanks so much for linking this up to Chris' challenge. It's perfect for her Where in the World. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Bonnie Lynn said...

Wow!!! What a difference adding the sea and sand! Your page looks amazing!

Lisa said...

I love the process pictures to help see how you created the layers. I need to get better about process pictures. They really help tell the story. Trouble is....I am always in a hurry to finish up the piece that I completely forget to stop and grab an image or 2.

Margarets designer cards said...

This is a great journal page, certainly brilliant layout with the pirates
I am sure we can spare some rain for you, we have had plenty with this wet summer
Thank you for joining us
Margaret
CD Sunday plus DT

Carole J said...

I loved reading how your pirate page came together, Amy! The finished page is brilliant and a wonderful nod to your area's heritage.
Thank you so much for joining the August 'Beach Babes' challenge at Gecko Galz.

Donna Walls said...

Wow Aimes, this is a great journal page! I love the Vintage images and how you've created the background. Thanks for playing along at the Paper Funday Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your designs soon.
Donna xx
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

Donna Walls said...

Awesome images and journal page, especially the beach background scene. Thanks for playing along at the Paper Funday Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your designs soon.
Donna xx
Paper Funday Challenge
Inspiration Station Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous scene, it must be interesting to know that you had pirates in your area. Thanks so much for sharing at AJJ and my theme, hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

What a difference the ocean and shoreline made to the first picture. I love this page and I love the idea of pirates. Very inspired Amy.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Just popping back to say sorry that I missed the Try It on Tuesday link. Thanks so much for joining us again, hugs, Chrisx

VEANA R. said...

Amazing summer card with a pirate scene. Thanks for joining our challenge at Vesela hiska. Hugs, Veana R.DT

Pamela said...

That was great seeing how the page came together and the finished item is brilliant!
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining us at Paper Dragonfly Creative Challenge with your wonderful project! Val DT
https://paperdragonflycreativechallenges.blogspot.com/