Saturday, June 10, 2023

Portholes and Turrets

 Hello there. Hope you are all safe and well.
I have a tag and a sketch to share today.
First up, the tag:
I took a break from my DT makes to play a little with an idea I had. 
I've had this Hero Arts porthole die for a while now. So I thought, I'll make a round tag with  it.
I was looking in my stash for some coppery paper and found these sheets of adhesive-backed metallic mulberry paper. So I cut the porthole out of it. I also cut a slightly larger circle out of sturdy white card for my tag base using a Spellbinders Classic Circles die, and I layered onto it a smaller die cut circle of watery-looking paper for my porthole scene. I colored the circle's edge with a brown Promarker and some Wink of Stella.
And I used these cute Inkadinkado fish that I'd received years ago as a prize from Valerie of Bastelmania blog for one of the challenges she hosts. I stamped them with Nocturne Versafine Clair on white card, heat-embossed them, colored them with very bright Promarker colors and fussy cut them before arranging them behind the porthole. 
This is the decorated back, same paper as the front except I used some acrylic blue paint for the base on this side, just trying the paint out. 
I will hang this on my tag tree and it will make a great addition to my Summer decorations. Those cute little fish remind me of the ones in Walt Disney's original The Little Mermaid animated movie that my daughter loved when she was 4 or 5.

*****************************

Now to the sketch:
It's a ancient German castle turret. Even though I did this in 2009, I'm linking it to Art Journal Journey's June All About Numbers Challenge, hosted by Matilde, because I used one of Valerie's photos to sketch from. I had mentioned to her that I'd done this and since she's an admin over there, she will be sure to see it. And, it does have numbers on it! No, I do not zentangle, but this has got to have come pretty close! I really love it and one day may make it into a print to frame. With my arthritic fingers, I doubt I could do this today.

That's it for now.
Take care and thanks for the visit!
XXO

PORTHOLE TAG CHALLENGE LINKS
The fish remind me of The Little Mermaid
Fish are hand-stamped
Summer on the ocean
As You Like It Challenge: Pastels or Brights and Why
I like both but I've used brights here so the fish can be seen against the dark water background.

24 comments:

brenda said...

A colourful fun tag, many thanks for sharing at Stamping Sensations.

B x

María said...

This tag is super cute and original. I love how you've played with the die and the stamps to create the scene. A great job. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a great tag idea. I love the porthole. I have that die too, or one very similar, that you will be seeing very soon on my blog. Smile. But I like how you used your and those fish are very very cute. I also like your castle drawing, and I'm glad you added the 3 birds on top. They make it more interesting I think. And I saw the numbers! And let me add that your soccer ball card is great also. I'm trying to catch up on some challenges yesterday and today. So that you for linking to TIOT and Matilde's challenge at AJJ. I hope you're having a good weekend also. hugs-Erika

ahlers5 said...


love the fish tag and the copper frame...adorable! I would love to make little creations and put them on display. Unfortunately, there is no room left in my house. Love the turret. You are so creative.

Cindy C. said...

Such cute tag!! Thanks for taking up our June challenge at Die Cut Divas.

craftytrog said...

Cute tag Aimeslee, and your sketch is wonderful!
Hope you're having a good weekend.
Alison

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Sunday Aimeslee, those smiljng fishes are just perfect for Sunday Smiles
Remember to link to
Sunday Smiles

Much💚love

Anita said...

The tag is really cute, Aimeslee! I love the little fishies and your coloring, and you've worked the shape of your diecut into your idea so wonderfully.

I do love the turret--it's awesome how you've taken inspiration from a photograph! Filling the drawing up with stones must've been such a relaxing process.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, Aimeslee, I love your porthole tag, it's fabulous! I can't remember sending you those fish stamps, but as I have the same set here, it must be so! And you have used them so well! I love the tower you drew, and I recognised it straight away! It's a treasure of a drawing! It will look good framed. Thanks for linking to AJJ! Have a wonderful day! Hugs, Valerie

Sandra Wright. said...

A super Tag Aimeslee. Love the Pothole.
Thank you so much for playing along with my theme at Tag Tuesday xx

Gerrina said...

What a fun card! Love the fish-faces! And the bright colours for them! Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations!

Laurie said...

really love your tag.. such pretty and bright colors and the porthole stamp is brilliant. thanks for joining the lost coast design challenge!

Arlene said...

I love the background on your tag - WOW. Such a cute tag too. So glad you joined us this month of using critters at Die Cut Divas.

Matilde said...

I really love this tower you drew 😍 Thanks for joining my challenge at AJJ 😊

pearshapedcrafting said...

A brilliant tag and I really love your sketch! Thanks for sharing at AJJ, hugs, Chrisx

Marlena M. said...

Fab tag; I love the bright fun colors and design! You are a true artist; what a great sketch! Thank you for joining us at INkspirational~

Larissa said...

Very clever to use that die for a tag. Love the fish stamps. Thanks for joining us at the Ayli challenge. Hugs, Larissa

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am in awe of that tag, Aimeslee. I love the copper feel to it and the cute fish peeking through the porthole. Really clever.

I am also in awe of your amazing drawing of that castle with the birds on top. I would NEVER be able to draw anything like that. I grip a pen too tightly and my hand goes to sleep almost immediately. This is fabulous and shows your perseverance. It's wonderful it was also a great entry for Matilde's theme at AJJ. Thanks for the inspiration, dear.

Larelyn said...

This is fabulous! I love those adorable fish and such a clever idea. I love that you share your process ♥ Thank you for joining our Cut it Up Tag challenge.
Hugs,
Larelyn (CIU owner)

Donna Walls said...

Wow, the Fishy tag is so sweet and the Copper mulberry paper was perfect for the porthole! So clever Aimes! Thanks for sharing with us at The Paper Funday Challenge and we hope you'll share again soon!
Donna xx
Inspiration Station Challenge
Paper Funday Challenge
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

Helen said...

Love this! Great to read how it all came together.

Thanks for joining us at the Critter Crazy Challenge.

Helen x
DT

pinky said...

I love this and you've really captured the feel of a porthole! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations and Tag Tuesday.
Pinky

Andree said...

A fabulous tag. The textured porthole is a wonderful way to display the cute little colourful fish.
Thank you for joining in with our June challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Helen said...

Me again!

Thanks for joining us at the Paper Fundays Challenge too.

Helen x
DT