Friday, May 19, 2023

Des Fleurs Art Journal Page

 Hi, everyone. Hope you are well this evening.
I have another art journal page for my Flowers challenge at Art Journal Journey. I've used yellow flowery washi tape, rub-ons, patterned paper and stamps and dies. The tulips are from a Paper Roses stamp and die set bought a while back and not yet used until now. I've colored them with Promarkers.
The page today is on the right hand side of this spread, which was originally covered with strips of 2-inch wide micropore paper tape and then painted with Manganese Blue Golden Fluid Acrylic paint. I'd bought the tape for our medicine cabinet where it's come in handy but gotten more use in my art, lol. After deciding on this page in my journal, I brayered some Blick matte Cerulean Blue acrylic on it, dabbing off with a paper towel and repeating until I was happy. The slightly darker blue settled into the crevices of the tape edges and created more yummy texture. It also toned down the glossiness of the original Golden paint a bit.
Here are the rub-ons I used. Since the really old SEI set at left is still rubbing off well enough, I'm going to try to continuing using them. The Hambly sets are another matter, as I note below.
There's a story behind this page, which is why it's in my 2009-2012 journal. In 2009, I decided to plant tulips in a front yard bed. My garden club sold caladium bulbs every year and I'd grown those for years, so I figured tulips would be a bit easier as I wouldn't have to dig the bulbs up and store them in pantyhose like the caladiums. I ordered the tulip bulbs, refrigerated them and planted them just like I was supposed to, but they never came up, not one! I was so upset that Honey bought me some potted tulips to try to make me feel better, bless his heart. The next year I ended up having to give up yard gardening from a physical standpoint, so I planted my caladium bulbs in pots after that. I sometimes think I should give potted tulips a go, but haven't been that motivated even though I do love them a lot. Down here they are a quite finicky annual and you must use rotted manure with them, plus the bloom doesn't last long. I already deal with finicky bluebonnets, lol. 

I really like how my "cloud" turned out since it was a touch-and-go thing at first. The very old Hambly oval lace rub-on was just not coming off the acetate so I gave up and fussy cut the acetate, then glued it to the page. I then applied the SEI 'bloom' rub-on to it. The second photo shows the acetate when the light shines on it and you can see the word rub-on really well. You can also see the Spellbinders small butterfly die cuts made with lavender scrap card.
This text panel was made from an old Fancy Pants scrapbooking tag. I cut off the bottom of it to use, used my Fiskars 4-in-1 punch on the corners, ink-distressed it with some Purple chalk ink around the edge and stamped the Leave Memories 'des fleurs/the flowers' with Chianti Versafine Clair ink. I added a white Doodlebug daisy border die cut and then an SEI rub-on ('stop and smell').
The patterned paper is a K&Co. Studio K scrap and the Remember is embossed on it. I found the coordinating wavy scrapbooking border in my stash. I rubbed on the SEI 'memories' to the bottom and then wrote my journaling with a white Sakura gel pen.
And one last look.
👀
I do like how it finished up
Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend!
XXO

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST
I like both but have more females to make cards for, so I tend to favor feminine.
Remember the times that try you and make you learn or grow

28 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a wonderful piece, and as you know, dear Aimeslee, I love tulips! Sorry they don't grow well in your garden. There are lots of fields of tulips here, always a lovely sight. Have a great weekend, take care, and thanks a lot for another lovely page for AJJ! Hugs, Valerie xxx

ahlers5 said...

This is such a pretty page. I so enjoy seeing all your art journals. You are so very creative!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

A pretty, Spring journal page, thank you for joining us at the Allsorts Challenge.
Lorraine

craftytrog said...

Such a beautiful page Aimeslee. I love the flowers.
I will try to join in again before the challenge finishes. I don't know where this month has gone!
Have a lovely weekend.
Alison

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous journal page and love the beautiful tulips-my hubbys favourite flowers.
Carol x
THank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles
Carol DT x

My name is Erika. said...

There's so many old scrapping names that I remember. I haven't heard of Fancy Pants or Hambley in a very long time. And I know what you mean about some old rub ones not working. I like what you did and I'm going to remember that idea. It's a great page, and it's a tulip story I am too familiar with. I've never had luck with tulips, so I've given up on them. My daffodils do great and have spread out a lot so that's what I'll have. I do like the yellow tulips on your page though. They look great on the blue background. This is another fun page for your challenge. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

brenda said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation at our 14th Birthday celebrations.

B x

Gillena Cox said...

Yes indeed we must take time out for the lovlier things in life

Hi Aimeslee
i'm inviting you to Sunday Smiles at my Lunchbreak blog
Happy Sunday

HERE

Much💖love

craftytrog said...

Thanks for your birthday wishes for Graham and the mums, and for our anniversary Aimeslee. It's 32 years for us. Many congratulations on your anniversary too 😊❤️🥰
Enjoy your Sunday. Sun is shining here, and we enjoyed a 7am walk, listening to birds in the fields and trees 😍
Hugs,
Alison xx

Nat said...

Fabulous journal page! Thanks for sharing at PFM
Natx

ScrappyHorses said...

Such a lovely page full of nature! Wonderful colors, dies, and textures! Thanks so much for sharing your story and art with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

nwilliams6 said...

I always love to see how you did your page. Great page and great advice. Super cool details too. Hugz

sirkkis said...

Love your beautiful Book Cover/Page :)

Crafty KJ said...

A beautiful Journal page and those yellow tulips really pop against that blue background! Love the sentient you've added too - a perfect creation for my challenge this week at Passion for Markers. Hugs, Karen x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

wow wow wo wsuch a beautiful journal page it is amazing, Thank you for sharing with us over at 613 and we hope to see you in future challenges Elaine DT x

Bonnie Lynn said...

Fabulous art journal page my friend. I love tulips but have never tried to grow them. Finally planted some tiger lilies I was gifted last year and only one has bloomed this year. The others are still only "green". I'm hoping by the summer the rest will bloom - hopefully. Have a fabulous week my friend.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fabulous journal page! Wonderful details! I love this!
Happy week, hug Elke

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Aimes I feel for you, with the tulips, we have had a wonderful show of them this year, I just love them. Maybe it's not supposed to be, but I feel your page is fun, and beautiful with all the details to remind you of failure, you are just great. The butterflies and lacy cloud, even the sentiment are all so pretty.
I hope you have a good week healthwise.
Take care.
Faith x

Ellibelle said...

I'm sorry you didn't have luck with the tulip bulbs, they are such beautiful spring flowers!
Your journal page is gorgeous with lots of great details and loving the bright yellow tulips!
Thank you so much for joining in at "I spy with my little eye"!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

The Crafty Den said...

Such a pretty journal page Aimeslee. The flowers are gorgeous and your colouring is perfect. Love the embellishments and colour scheme you've used. Thanks for sharing with us at Passion for Markers this week. Hugs, Denise x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

One year my botanical gardens was selling tulips after they were through blooming, You had NO idea what color or type they were because the bloom was gone. I brought mine home and promptly planted them, Then someone said I should have waited until autumn and put them in my fridge until I planted them. The friend said I should have planted them in clusters. Some I did, some I didn't. That next spring my yard was alive with tulips. They were everywhere and they continue to bloom for me every year. I am sorry you didn't have the pleasant outcome I had. On the other hand, I certainly enjoyed reading your story and seeing the awesome journal page you created. Thanks for sharing this story and journal page with us using your theme at AJJ.





Gerda said...

What a fabulous journal page!! Love the pretty tulips and all the wonderful details you used!!
Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up challenge!
Have a great day.
Gerda

Pamela Duncan said...

Love your art journal. Very nice! Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

Pam, DT



Becca Sadler said...

How delightful that you have another flowers themed art journal pages for AJJ's current challenge you're hosting!!! I like the story behind this too. And the medical tape used as a mixed medium is interesting choice! I might consider that in the future especially if I can get some at Dollar Tree for $1.25 plus tax!!!! I'll have to look on my next trip there. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing this at Mix It Up!! --Becca/DT

Diane said...

This is a gorgeous journal page!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
Diane DD Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Double D}
{Triple B}
{Stencil Fun}

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Another beautiful journal page Aimeslee and wonderful words, we all need to stop and smell the flowers. Tulips are so beautiful but never last as long as they should, great to capture them in your artwork as they last forever.
Thank you for sharing @ Creative Artiste and joining our May Challenge.
I'm so sorry I have not been able to join you @ AJJ it's been a difficult month for me with family and extra care duties.
Stay Safe and creative Hugs Tracey xx

Sarah said...

What a wonderful female project, thank you for sharing at AYLI. Sarah DT

Pauline C said...

Fabulous journal page, your tulips are a gorgeous colour that really pops! Thanks so much for joking this month’s I Soy Challenge.
Pauline x