Thursday, April 27, 2023

"Blackbird" Art Journal Spread

 Happy FriYay Eve, everyone. Hope your evening's going well.

Well, I've been art journaling again, this time in my other composition book art journal Little Book of Wisdom which contains favorite quotes and song lyrics. This spread uses The Beatles' Blackbird song lyrics and lots of old and leftover collage fodder. 

The backgrounds were gesso'd and painted on to varying degrees with acrylic paints back when I began the journal, which was about the same time as my 2009-2012 journal that you've been seeing me work in lately trying to finish it. Kinda the same thing here except I'm not quite in as much of a hurry. I mean, quotes and song lyrics are forever in my book, so I don't mind if I never were to finish. I might even start a Volume 2, but not in a composition book! 😬 At any rate, I believe I was trying a layering on/scrubbing off technique, so you can see the hints of other colors that result. The various colors went on first, then the black was the final coat. Definitely good for the dead of night!

Okay, so I do know where the collage fodder came from. I used collage sheet images from Gecko Galz, Retro Cafe Art, Collage Stuff, Teesha Moore and Nancy Baumiller aka Crowabout. Most were printed out on presentation paper, which is on the thin side (48#) and has a satin gloss. See the blue items on left? I got a cool effect by coloring with Promarkers. I did the background behind the 2 birds image and also the background of the bare-limbed tree. I also outlined most of the birds. The tree is a really old Hambly green rub-on that I was afraid to put directly on a card lest it fail, so I applied it to some deli paper and then cut it out. I also ran a brown Promarker around it and all over the transparent lines. The flowers planted by the tree came from a decorated envelope someone in Kansas sent foreign languarge text pages to me in. The address was on the envelope but no name. My guess is I bought them on Etsy. She'd written the word Fly on the front so I wanted to use that part of it. A gorgeous butterfly was next to it and I'm saving that for another spread. 
A close up of the left hand page. The coolest thing I discovered was that my white Sakura Gelly Roll wrote like butter on the background paint. I'd really wanted to write some of the lyrics in my own handwriting, but the honest truth is that I was afraid I'd mess the spread up or I couldn't find anything that would stand out enough to write with. This turned out to be a perfect choice so I'm glad I took the risk instead of printing them out and gluing on.
And a close-up of the right hand page. I consciously chose not to grunge it up by outlining and smudging or stamping in the open spots. I thought the black "nighttime" background was enough. And I've been pretty worn out from my long weekend of family company, so this took every bit of concentration and dedication energy I could muster and it took me quite a while. Once I got everything cut out, placed and the journaling done, I was past ready to say Done! 😩😌

So, one last look.
👀
And one more spread finished.
I'm more than happy with it.
😁
 Take care and thanks for visiting!
XXO

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:
GG Collage Sheets Used:
In Your Dreams
Vintage Halloween
October 2017 and August 2020 Newsletter Sheets
Gecko Galz April Facebook Challenge: Birds of a Feather

14 comments:

brenda said...

All so very dramatic Aimeslee, looks like it was fun to create, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fabulous spread, Aimeslee, love the song you used as your inspiration and the embellishments you used. Thanks for another wonderful entry for Elizabeth's reycling challenge at AJJ! Hugs, Valerie

Diane said...

Wow, such creative journal pages and now you have me singing that song in my head!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
Diane DD Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Double D}
{Stencil Fun}

Ellibelle said...

This is so beautiful and creative! Love that you added your own handwriting! I too am impressed with the white sakura gel pen as I've had it for a while and it hasn't dried up yet which is the problem I've had with any other white gel pen I ever owned.
Thanks so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week!

Leslie Miller said...

Whenever I see an art journal I think it looks like so much fun. This is fantastic! I love the song, too. Thank you for sharing with us at Double D!

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great song and I love how you made a page with blackbirds. These images are awesome. I'm loving the moona and the blackbirds and even that textured tree. I also really like the the reed stripey border on the top right page. I'm glad you could join Elizabeth once again for her recycle challenge. Plus you are getting your journal finished right? Smile. Have a wonderful weekend.We have rain coming in tonight and the long range says we'll have it all week. I thought they were supposed to be April showers. hugs-Erika

*Vicki* said...

Really amazing AJ layout here! I love your black bird theme and all of the collage elements! That background turned out so interesting and I thank you for the inspiration!

Andree said...

A wonderfully dramatic looking journal spread. Although the background looks dark, it's actually full of rich colours adding great depth. The pops of bright colour and affirmative song quotes are a perfect balance.
Thank you for joining in with our April challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Helen said...

Fabulous - looks so effective against the dark background.

Thanks for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.

Helen x
DT

ahlers5 said...

These pages are wonderful!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to be so late again. Still looking after four cats, which means four sandboxes and four food bowls, as well as two households.

I really LOVED the blackbirds, the song, the way you presented the images, and the background with its texture. This is a fabulous entry for Bleubeard's and my theme at Art Journal Journey. It turned out great!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such wonderful pages! Loving the dark and glossy background, it really makes the images pop 😊. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Marjeta said...

This looks fabulous. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments.

Karen Letchworth said...

Hello, and thanks for sharing your lovely journalling and scrapbooking techniques. It's always a blessing to have you share your art and creativity with us at Word Art Wednesday.
Karen L
www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com