Sunday, March 5, 2023

Armadillo Get Well

 Happy Sunday, hope all is well in your world.
My youngest nephew took a nasty traffic spill on his bicycle and broke his leg, so I made a card to send him. I couldn't resist a little Texas armadillo humor: the armadillo is by far the animal that ends up as roadkill most often on Texas highways. A nocturnal mammal who feeds off grub worms and decaying animal carcasses, he's often cleaning up other roadkill at night time on long stretches on unlighted rural roadways. He's about the same size as the average cat and will curl up into a ball when he senses danger, but that is no protection from vehicle tires going 70-80 miles an hour.

 
I chose this Splitcoaststampers sketch for my layout design, but flipped it horizontally and resized it to an A7 card. Otherwise, I followed it faithfully. 😁

Supply List:
Recollections Heavyweight card stock
Kraft card stock
DCWV card stock and designer papers
Tan copy paper (inside)
Stamp On It Eureka Armadillo With Scarf digi stamp,
Colored with Promarkers (scarf accented with glitter marker)
Stitched red and white ribbon from stash

I added my self-created sentiment to the digi in PSE before printing out, then colored him up with my Promarkers.  He's wearing a Texas state flag scarf and I added some midnight blue glitter marker to the part of the scarf that printed out black because it's supposed to be blue. I dotted him up in multiple greyish brown layers because a real armadillo has them. The red stars and denim blue papers are DCWV. The mats are Kraft card and red DCWV card.

Close-up shot for this cute little critter. (In real life, they are not this cute. In fact, I think they are pretty nasty.) You can also see the skinny stitched ribbon I used all over the card. I had one long strand of it left and decided to try to use it all up.

Inside I printed my self-created sentiment from PSE on some pastel copy paper to mat.

And on the back, I have used some DCWV text-themed designer paper about boys with a paper scrap from the front and my siggie.

One last look
👀
I'm hoping my nephew gets a smile from this card. He'll be in his leg cast for several weeks.
Hope you have a good evening and thanks for visiting me!

MY CHALLENGE PLAYLIST:

10 comments:

brenda said...

A real fun card to cheer your Nephew, many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations March challenge.

B x

Donna Ellis said...

I have never seen a card using an armadillo before, and you have absolutely achieved the sweetness these docile creatures have about them. That TX scarf and fabulous sketch make it all the prettier! Love this creation!
Crafting Hugs,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

My name is Erika. said...

I think of Texas when I think of armadillos, even though I did see one in Florida. This is a cute card, even better for your nephew who's taken a bike spill. I like the Texas flag bandana on this guy. I hope you're having a great week Aimeslee. We look snow free- hopefully the potential for the weekend goes out to sea south of us. Smile. hugs-Erika

Bonnie Lynn said...

Good morning Aimeslee! I got a good laugh reading the punch line for your card. I think your nephew is going to love it! Hope you have a pain free day my friend.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Just a quickie Aimes, sorry!, Love your card and the story, I didn't know about the roadkill, poor things, I hope your nephew is improving. Love your card.
Hugs
Faith x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I'm back, still loving this card Aimes. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at Critter Crazy Challenge this week. Good Luck and I’m looking forward to seeing you again in our next challenge.
Faith A DT

Alyson Mayo said...

That sentiment made me laugh out loud - perfect for the armadillo!

pinky said...

Your poor nephew! But what a perfect card for him lol. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Pinky

cass said...

Fun card. Thanks for joining us at Pearly Sparkles this month for our Sentiment/Verse challenge.

ahlers5 said...

Wow, there are so many details I love about this card. The ribbon, with the edges turned under is fantastic. The image is adorable and the sentiment is a hoot.